• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rob Penney leaving Munster at the end of the season

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/12836.php#.UvOGkrRuSkw

Simon Mannix is gone too. Rumours abound that Munster wouldn't offer their head coach an extension beyond one year. Penney rightly took up a better offer elsewhere.

If rumours are true, it's a crazy decision by Munster. Penney has done a magnificent job overhauling the squad. Expect Anthony Foley to take over and Munster to return to playing stone age rugby.

Just think about all the passion he'll bring to the role. How about this for a dream team:

Director of Rugby: Declan Kidney
Head Coach: Anthony Foley
Backs Coach: Michael Bradley
Forwards Coach: Frankie Sheahan
Scrum Coach: John Hayes
Defence Coach: Ronan O'Gara
Team Manager: Eddie O'Sullivan

You've forgot to fit Michael Corcoran into the mix somewhere...

Shame were losing Penney but Im glad Mannix is gone. He's the architect of our aimless play.

Can say honestly from a lot of current players they are unhappy. Just because everyone believed Penny was doing right things and well issues for this I will go in to later when on laptop but totally the wrong decision in my eyes fuelled by politics and not performance

Last edited:
attachment.php

Just think about all the passion he'll bring to the role. How about this for a dream team:

Director of Rugby: Declan Kidney
Head Coach: Anthony Foley
Backs Coach: Michael Bradley
Forwards Coach: Frankie Sheahan
Scrum Coach: John Hayes
Defence Coach: Ronan O'Gara
Team Manager: Eddie O'Sullivan

Nice backroom team. Lots of pride, but I would worry about the honesty levels. Also, I'm not sure if they've been to the well enough times for my liking.

Nice backroom team. Lots of pride, but I would worry about the honesty levels. Also, I'm not sure if they've been to the well enough times for my liking.

Been honest from hearing inside it seems Bradley/Foley ticket is a possibility. Not the correct thing though. I'd have said ok if Penney wasn't making much strides but hell while developing guys and rotating he's got usto2HEC QFs and top of Pro12 which is progress from what he inherited

It is factual that Penny decided not to have another year at Munster, or is it because of politics that he wanted out?

It is factual that Penny decided not to have another year at Munster, or is it because of politics that he wanted out?

Facts or sticking points are:
He wanted Mannix, Munster didn't.
He wanted 2 years, was basically told 1 is best and that'd be it.
Other facts are his sons want to attend college in New Zealand and his wife never settled here.
But it's clear in a way it was constructive pushing. Politics were the base been announced as UL under Penny's reign and not Axels. It stops it being Foley being bias. (although in truth UL is best base available)
Penney got offered more money with more stability and more freedom in job in Japan and basically knew even if he took another year he'd be pushed then. But either way it's wrong as we haven't mastered his plan yet but the work he's done and strides he's made are phenomenal.
I would strongly believe though there's a lot of this "we have to get local authority" and that's why I'd see Bradley or Elwood as backs coach with Axel and don't be surprised if Eddie is interviewed for a role. Recently doing good work with Garryowen. My real hope is Doug Howlett comes on board in some capacity. He's playing GAA in cork so may be a battle though :)

Latest posts