• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Robinson appointed Sale Head Coach

A

An Tarbh

Jason Robinson has been appointed head coach of Sale after signing a 2 year deal today.

Interesting move, whether he can make the transition from great player to great coach remains to be seen.

Quite the comeback for a guy who was destined to follow the Julian White route to farming..

I hope he does well as he seems to have a never ending supply of energy and enthusiasm. Who knows? This might be the shot in the arm Sale need to keep them going?

Good luck to him. He was one of my favourite players who almost always did something constructive with the ball.

I think Sale are taking a big risk though. Being a top player doesn't automatically translate to being a good coach. Unless Robinson has been working his way up the coaching ladder (from position coach to backs coach to head coach for example), Sale are taking a shot in the dark.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 25 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Sale are taking a big risk though. Being a top player doesn't automatically translate to being a good coach.[/b]
Uh huh, just ask Martin Johnson...
I'm indifferent about this. I thought Jones was going to be coach from here on out.

Head coach? I though he'd gone as part of the coaching set up like Phil Keith-Roach all under the watchful eyes of Jones?

I thought for sure he'd go back to League and coach a team in the SL, maybe get involved with the international set-up.

My favourite ever player and the reason I support Sale. I just hope he does well as a coach, I think he can...

There are not many cases in which a player goes stright into a big coaching position and suceeds. Its a huge gamble for a big name club. As mentioned above, what is his experience in coaching exaclty?

I think Kingsley Jones will be baffled at this!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 25 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 25 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Sale are taking a big risk though. Being a top player doesn't automatically translate to being a good coach.[/b]
I'm indifferent about this. I thought Jones was going to be coach from here on out.
[/b][/quote]

Uh uh uh! He isn't a coach he is a manager. It is slightly confusing (as is most of the RFU's dead wood structure) but he doesn't actually do any coaching. He's in charge of hiring & firing, selection and so on but for coaching he already has four or five coaches to do that for him.

If I were to pick Jason Robinson for anything it'd be motivational life coach.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 26 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Uh uh uh! He isn't a coach he is a manager. It is slightly confusing (as is most of the RFU's dead wood structure) but he doesn't actually do any coaching. He's in charge of hiring & firing, selection and so on but for coaching he already has four or five coaches to do that for him.

If I were to pick Jason Robinson for anything it'd be motivational life coach.[/b]
Your ramblings about your country's inane coaching structure confuse me...
Tell me, is there any point at all in having Johnson there? Couldn't you just pick Tom from down the road to do the job he does? In regards to team selections, I'm sure any England fan with sense could do his job better and more productively than him...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 26 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 25 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 25 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

If I were to pick Jason Robinson for anything it'd be motivational life coach.
[/b][/quote]

yeah but didn't he sit back in the Autumn and let the coaches get on with things but then got stuck in himself for the 6N?

And he (Jason) said he'd never become a coach! I hope he does well - I expect he will.

Latest posts