• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rocky Elsom returns

psychic duck

International
Remember Rocky Elsom?

The 2007 Super 14 player of the year, the 2008 Wallaby of the year, followed up by in 2008/09 he memorably delivered a string of inspired performances helping Leinster to their first Heineken Cup, he was named in the ERC 15 year Dream Team off the back of that season and Brian O'Driscoll said he was the best player he's ever played alongside.

After becoming a Leinster legend in his single season, he was at the time probably the best in the world in his position and Australia were rushing to get him back and make him captain. However on return he was more solid than as spectacular, wasn't that popular with the Aussies, suffered a couple season ending injuries and got dumped from the captaincy and has barely been seen again since the World Cup.

So what's he doing now?

He left the Waratahs after another injury wiped out season, then signed for a team in Japan and failed a medical and got involved in a long legal battle over there, played 80 minutes for Toulon as a medical joker at the end of the 2013 season, then later that year the company he was with was part of a takeover of Pro D2 side Narbonne and was involved in an administrative role, now dates a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, and last weekend he returned to playing after 17 months since his last game.

It feels like he's been around for ages, yet he's still only 31. A shame he's disappeared from the game so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, he was an administrator for FGM the company Bob Dwyer is involved in.

Think Justin Harrison is the head coach there, they've totally turned the club around.

Remember Rocky Elsom?

Rocky who?? I can't remember. I thought you were talking about Mark Cueto or someone like him. Who the f**k is Rocky Elsom? This isn't a handball forum

Last edited:
I looked at Narbonne website,he's not in the roster

That doesn't mean he isn't playing for them.

B0TMtG8CMAEHRKl.jpg:large

I looked at Pro D2 website,he played only 1 match for now (last Saturday). Maybe club website isn't so updated

he says int he original post he made his comeback last week - so of course he's only played one game.

Yes but he's in Narbonne team already since several months,I don't know if in these last months he was injured or what

Last edited:
Yes but he's in Narbonne team already since several months

I do think you have been misled, Rocky played his last game for Toulon last May and it was only several minutes (medical joker) he signed for Narbonne in July for the start of this season but was not match fit and only just played his first game for Narbonne as he has now found a bit of physical form but nowhere near his best yet. in my calculations he has been with Narbonne just over 3 months, and the Pro D2 start their season later than the TOP 14. He played his first game last Sat and lasted the full 80 mins

I do think you have been misled, Rocky played his last game for Toulon last May and it was only several minutes (medical joker) he signed for Narbonne in July for the start of this season but was not match fit and only just played his first game for Narbonne as he has now found a bit of physical form but nowhere near his best yet. in my calculations he has been with Narbonne just over 3 months, and the Pro D2 start their season later than the TOP 14. He played his first game last Sat and lasted the full 80 mins

Wasn't he already engaged in Narbonne management already since last year ? http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-whip-narbonne-into-shape-20140130-31phj.html

Last edited:
Management does not equal player.

He was working as an administrator for FGM who bought out the club, he was looking at making the club sustainable, and which contracts to cut etc... he wasn't involved in the playing squad.

When I said he was already in Narbonne since several months I meant indeed about management role

he still played for Toulon in May so no way could he be a playing member of Narbonne, you stated he is in the Narbonne team that to me is a player and has nothing to do with management, either be clearer with your question or don't change your mind to suit your own mistake!!! FMG and Narbonne are two different things altogether, one is a company and the other a rugby team.

he still played for Toulon in May so no way could he be a playing member of Narbonne, you stated he is in the Narbonne team that to me is a player and has nothing to do with management, either be clearer with your question or don't change your mind to suit your own mistake!!! FMG and Narbonne are two different things altogether, one is a company and the other a rugby team.

I'm away from rugby since a year,I'm not following things as before,I thought he was engaged only with management and couldn't play because of injuries,calm down there is no need to make polemics everytime

I'm away from rugby since a year,I'm not following things as before,I thought he was engaged only with management and couldn't play because of injuries,calm down there is no need to make polemics everytime

yes but everything you questioned was in PD's original post, so your posts read as though you're digging when in fact it turns out you're just regurgitating.

@goodNumber10

yes but everything you questioned was in PD's original post, so your posts read as though you're digging when in fact it turns out you're just regurgitating.

@goodNumber10

Sorry man I didn't read all the post,I just watched the video,is it a crime ?
I knew he was doing some work in Narbonne but I didn't know he was still under contract with Toulon,considering he didn't play for more than a year,as I said I'm not following rugby as before

Last edited:
Sorry man I didn't read all the post,I just watched the video,is it a crime ?

it is if you're going to challenge everything everyone says and then backtrack when people call you on it..... do we really need to descend this thread into a you said she said back and forth.

The crux of it is Elsom played his comeback game last weekend, prior to that he'd been medically retired and only played a one of game for Toloun.

Latest posts