• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rocky Elsom: "the most influential player in the game today."

O

O'Rothlain

Discuss Rocky Elsom here on TRF.
How Do you Rate Him?
Should he stay at Leinster or go back Home?

Well , at least in Leinster he IS totally influential,he is everywhere on the pitch, and Leinster is not the same without him, he runs with the ball, he tackles, he jumps in the line-outs and he is inspirational to the Leinster fowards,he just fitted so well in the team,great start in the north for him.

He is not the most influential player in the game today. He is, however, a very good player. I really his style and the way he plays. It was a great performance in the Heiniken Cup Final. One of the best that I have seen in a while.

How is he more influential than Richie McCaw? Or Even Sergio Psrisse? Meh. He is a good player, but when he was in the Super14 he was nothing 'spectacular'... He was stunning in the final though.

I would rate a few players higher, however this season he was really been performing well. That being said he has been in a team with other very good players so I can't credit Leinster's wins complietly to his success.

The most successful and influential import into NH rugby if you ask me.

Granted my opinion is slightly twisted as a result of watching him all year, day in day out, playing in the mud or sunshine, but his Influence on Leinster and his impact on the pitch has been nothing short of phenomenal.

More influencial than Richie McCaw? I'd probably say yes AT THIS TIME. This year he HAS been that good. He's played the best the NH can throw out at him and hes come out on top each time. I think it was Brian O'Driscoll himself who said that Leinster would not have been crowned HEC champions without him. He didnt do it on his own, but he was a vital cog in the wheel along with other big players e.g. O'Driscoll, Fitzgerald, Heaslip, Cullen, Jennings etc I think he raised the bar, and the rest of the Leinster forwards took it on another step from there.

I honestly believe he's the best Loose forward in the game at the moment (Heaslip isnt far behing him) so I can understand why the Aussies are pulling out all the stops to get him back. Tackling, running, ground work, its all been there. I'm not sure how much of that though is down to the back unit as a whole. Jennings and Heaslip do so much of the dirty work, that they allow Rocky to play the 8's role in loose play.

McCaw is a 7, Parisse an 8 (or 10, or 15 :) ) so all bring their own specialities to the game. A direct comparison between them is going to be inherintly flawed. However Rocky's influence has been above and beyond anything I've seen from either of those lads in the RECENT past. Its a pointless comparison though as another poster pointed out, its the backrow as a unit that performs on the pitch.

I hope the reception he received after the game on Saturday goes some way to telling him what we all thought of him. 40,000 people screaming out Rocky, Rocky, Rocky should at least leave him with a memory that his home nation wont be able to match. I'd love to see his stay of course but I can understand if he wants to go home. Then again, he said off the record that he wants international competition because of the big days you get, however nothing down south can match either his Croke Park or Murrayfield experiences.

Well it's good to hear he has done so well. Hopefully he can still make the Wallaby squad some time soon so that we can see how his knew form match up to our own loosies!

Gotta love the British hype machine..

Rocky is a great player but, wow, tone it down fellas.

Agree with Jer1cho that McCaw still is the most influential player in the world.

McCaw didn't influence Crusaders to a S14 final... Elsom DID drag Leinster kicking and screaming to a HEC win. Make of that what you will.

BUT! I will say that every team has their talisman/men; Munster have O'Connell & O'Gara, Leinster have Elsom & BOD, Saints have Reihana, Irish have Catt, Stade have Parisse etc... Depending on your own bias, your opinion will be skewered as to who's the most influential.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 25 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
McCaw didn't influence Crusaders to a S14 final... Elsom DID drag Leinster kicking and screaming to a HEC win. Make of that what you will.

BUT! I will say that every team has their talisman/men; Munster have O'Connell & O'Gara, Leinster have Elsom & BOD, Saints have Reihana, Irish have Catt, Stade have Parisse etc... Depending on your own bias, your opinion will be skewered as to who's the most influential.[/b]

Unlucky for the Crusaders they met a white hot Bulls team at a packed Loftus and that the Bulls have the most influencial 9 in world rugby, Fourie du Preez!
They still a great team with only a handful of All Blacks due to the player exodus. Excellent young players.

I agree that Rocky is a great player who can infuence a game like he did against the Sharks last year in the S14 semi-final. But McCaw is on a whole another level imo, he influences games as a hobbie. The All Blacks, the no.1 ranked team in the world, are a different team when he is not there.
If O'Driscoll carries on like this with Rocky, he'd give his wife to McCaw if he was playing for them!

I was meaning more an influential player when you look at the whole rugby world. Nobody has the presence that McCaw has. Elsom was fantastic for Leinster, and yeah, he did a shed load to help them win the cup, but he AINT no richie McCaw.

But looking at the Crusaders... They were hovering at the bottom of the log with losses to some of the weakest sides in the competition. They had a massive player drain, and were basically only left with one true star in McCaw. When he was out of the team, they looked woeful and uninterested. He literally took his team from stone last to the play-off's. Sure, they lost to the Bulls, but i guarantee you that almost no team can beat the Bulls at their home ground.

So sure, Elsom did a stunning job, and deserves the praise. I just don't think he is more influential than McCaw in the game of rugby. But like Logorrhea said, recent times i guess...

Meh, if it wasn't confirmed before, Elsom would walk into a World XV.

A backrow of Elsom, McCaw and Spies/Parisse would devastate any team.

Most influential player? As Logo said, on form there's no question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 25 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Agree with Jer1cho that McCaw still is the most influential player in the world.[/b]
Its not hype, its reality. Leinster have just won the HEC, the premium Rugby Cup competition in the world and Elsom was player of the tournament so I dont see where the "hype" is. Its simply a reflection of how good the guy played THIS YEAR.

If the same question was raised last year it would have been McCaw, this year, right now, there is only one answer really. Either way, comparisons with McCaw, a different player in a different hemisphere playing a different position, at a different time of the year ........... well they are kinda pointless but having watched him all year, I'm in no doubt. Elsom is the best Loose forward in the world at this time. No doubt about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ May 25 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm in no doubt. Elsom is the best Loose forward in the world at this time. No doubt about it.[/b]

Best 6 yes, by a long shot actually. Not the best loose forward. But that's just my opinion. Pierre Spies is having the season of his life... so he has my vote...

Ahhhh yeah, a lot comes down to how much you have seen and how well they have done.

Who the best is, is all down to opinion. Elsom gets my votes but Spies or McCaw would get others. All are valid arguements, though as always is seems to depend on who you support doesnt it :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 25 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the NH needs to make some more talent of it's own and quit stealing ours.[/b]

notThisShitAgain.gif
broken-record.jpg

Wait...

_42530649_parisse416.jpg
>
tri_nations.jpg

Epic win
:p

ooo look at me Im trying to stir controversy. Well find another thread for it that has nothing to do with the discussion. Anyways hes been immense for Leinster, probably the best import I've seen, if he goes home I wish him luck, if not well then party on!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 25 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Agree with Jer1cho that McCaw still is the most influential player in the world.[/b]
The Hype actually came from the Aussie Press Machine, not the British (or for the record, the Irish).
I think one can completely say with confidence that this year Elsom is the most influential player out there. True McCaw, and even BOD have their moments and years of being influential, but the 08-09 domestic season was all Elsom. I watch the Super 14 as well, and no one down south stood out like Rocky has up North.

Rocky has been wanting a break from the domestic scene for a while now, I don't think much had to be done to steal him. Sometimes players just want a change of scenery.

Latest posts