Rokocoko snubs Toulon for All Blacks

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Joe Rokocoko has reportedly snubbed an offer from big-spending Toulon in order to fight for his New Zealand jersey at next year's World Cup.

The lethal Blues finisher, who was absent from his country's most recent win over South Africa due to a hamstring injury, was believed to have been offered $1 million by Mourad Boudjellal that would see him link up with the likes of Carl Hayman and Rudi Wulf in France.

Rokocoko's current deal with New Zealand Rugby Union expires this November, and the 27-year-old said his 'sole focus' lay with the All Blacks.

"That's the commitment I've set," Rokocoko said, speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I've committed for another four to five months to the NZRU and that's what it says in my contract and this is my sole focus.

"There are going to be things like that which pop in and out from overseas, especially with clubs knowing players might be quite vulnerable right now - even more so with players who miss out on playing for their international team.

"I'm standing firm on my decision to try to make this team again and I'm pretty disappointed I'm not playing this weekend as well because I want to make sure my spot is still in this team."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6268500,00.html

And good on him I say

Can't blame him, hes such a quality player he'll get loads more opportunities to play overseas, so I think hes made a good decision in trying to get himself selected for the worldcup in his country, that doesnt happen very often very often plus this will probably be his last world cup

Good on him,
At 27 (i thought he was much older) he should (without major injury) have another 5years, or more, left in him, so can go abroad for a payday (if he chooses to) at a later date

Payday deffo at a later date. Bloke is class.

Good for him, it would be awesome to see him play amongst Gear at the WC

People say he is only 27 but 27 is quite old for a winger. I don't think he has many years left in him. He should be able to manage one or two after the 2011 World Cup.

People say he is only 27 but 27 is quite old for a winger. I don't think he has many years left in him. He should be able to manage one or two after the 2011 World Cup.

You say that, but he is younger than Cory Jane and only two months older than Hosea Gear, yet they are in their prime. Remember he has over 60 test caps at 27 years old, that's the kind of experience that's amazing.

He has hard work to make the RWC squad, but he's improved his high game and showed touches of class in his last few test matches. He also had his best Super 14 ever. I think he can make the RWC squad, he has some top quality to compete with, and I'd like both him and Gear to make it into the squad. I was proud he turned down the offer, although $1 million over four years, was a bit of a joke for a guy with so long left.

For the RWC this is the decision that has to be made for outside backs. Horrible to have to pick, as so many of them are some of the best wingers/fullbacks in the world.
Masaga
Gear
Rokocoko
Sivivatu
Jane
Guildford
Muliaina
Dagg

Add that on to players who can cover wing or fullback-
Ranger
Toeava
Kahui
Smith (Ben)

^ I think the offer was for 1 million dollars a year (for four years)- probably 4 times what he would get if he stays in NZ.

You say that, but he is younger than Cory Jane and only two months older than Hosea Gear, yet they are in their prime. Remember he has over 60 test caps at 27 years old, that's the kind of experience that's amazing.

True, but he started so young. I think he got burned too quickly. He's still a very good player but he doesn't seem to have the spark he had in his early years...Seems like he's lost a bit of pace, too.

^ I think the offer was for 1 million dollars a year (for four years)- probably 4 times what he would get if he stays in NZ.

Injured All Blacks winger Joe Rokocoko has turned down an offer from French club Toulon, opting instead to concentrate on next year's rugby World Cup.
Rokocoko, who missed the All Blacks' 31-17 win over South Africa in last night's second Tri-Nations test in Wellington with a hamstring strain, confirmed his priorities lay with New Zealand rugby, the Sydney Morning Herald reported today.
It was believed Rokocoko was offered a four-year, $1 million deal by Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal.
His contract with New Zealand rugby expires in November this year, and Rokocoko he said his "sole focus" lay with the All Blacks.
"I'm standing firm on my decision to try to make this team again and I'm pretty disappointed I'm not playing this weekend as well because I want to make sure my spot is still in this team."
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7601960/rokocoko-rebuffs-toulon-offer
Seemed to me like he was getting $1 mil for 4 years.

It makes more sence, in facts it's a pretty huge offer. Good on him for sticking around if that's the case.

When it comes down to money or your country its got to be country every time

mind u im not really good enough to get into that position but atm id pay to play for mine

Latest posts