• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian Rugby

I was hiding from the Baia Mare result until highlights came on Youtube but they seem to have switched to Facebook. Timisoara needed that win or questions would already start to be asked about Matt Williams.

Baia Mare are very active on facebook lately, much more active than they used to be. Good communication by them, I like this new approach. Back to local rugby, this round had a very good match between CSM Bucuresti and Timisoara and too easy wins by favorites.

CSM Bucuresti 28 - 16 Timisoara Saracens

This is a tough one for the visitors because they have so many players injured like Oaks Badiu, Fercu, Capatana, Sheenan, Umaga, Samoa or players who are making it into first XV pretty often like Simionescu, Conache, Doyle or Hunt.

CSM scrum dominated the match and made Timisoara's one to look terrible. Doge Mesake have a bad day at the office, he conceded most of the penalties given against his team from various infringement in the scrum. When Pungea and Militaru entered from the bench, the situation was somehow more balanced.

Apjock's style is started to be noticed as CSM, they managed to pin Timisoara in their own half with long kicks followed by effective chasing of the ball. One of the tries come following a ball fumbled by Seniloli and recovered by one of CSM players and generally most important attack situations come following scrums or lineouts in visitors half.

Vlad Popa played out of position at 15 and he did it well, he also attacked well few times and put up good tackles in situation of last defending player but probably with Fercu . However, Timisoara's defense seems unprepared for kicking play CSM put on them. Rose and especially Seniloli had an average performance. The former especially, although is lethal when is given some space is very limited as player in other aspects. He doesn't seem to have any concern on managing his game, passing is average and become really bad after he fumbled the kicked ball for CSM try by passing near the level of the ground repeatedly. I noticed this few times and it seems when he makes mistakes he lose his confidence and concentration and his passing become dangerous for his colleagues. Pretorius (injured) is also below par so imo best bet for Timisoara is young Rupanu who imo have much more potential than Seniloli or Pretorius, also Timisoara should have tried to convert Conache there, as they did in last matches from last season than sign these two players, wasted money imo on both and I'd add here Doge Mesuke but for now I give him the benefit of a doubt since he only come here from one month or so.

Again, the issue of ruck/breakdown made Timisoara to give away many easy penalties and Mr. Williams will have a lot of work to do in this area.

CSM looked very composed, they followed their game plan well. Frontrow and scrum generally was really strong, lineout worked well but it wasn't easy against two top players like those from Timisoara locks. Backrow was outstanding and managed to push back Timisoara on their attack and pin them down in their field. Lots of experience there from long time Oaks like Carpo and Burcea or from captain Adrian Ion who shouldn't be overlooked by Howells despite his age.

I am especially thrilled by Calafeteanu's come back after a long term injury. His form was poor before this kidney injury (which puts in danger his career) but now he looks sharper and much more accurate in passing and kicking, probably less burnt out and with more appetite for playing. CSM fly-half is a very interesting player, he was accurate with kicking and very dangerous with ball in hand, being able to drag CSM backs attacking line in very good positions to attack.

Overall a very good match, good entertainment too, which looked at times at test level. Feeling was that Williams was outplayed by Apjock who seem to play a less conservative style than we were used to. Probably it was good for him to get out of comfort zone after 12 years at CSM.

CSA Steaua Bucuresti 45 - 8 Universitatea Cluj

Easy one for Steaua, 7 to 1 tries, young Boldor was entrusted with kicking tee duty this time and he did his job well and he was named man of the match. Cluj had on bench 5 players 18 yo.

CS Dinamo Bucuresti 70 - 5 CS Politehnica Iasi

After a strong start, the limited squad of Iasi start to show its limits. Especially in last minutes, the bench which was made of mostly 18 yo wasn't able to stop Dinamo, 4 tries being scored after the young players entered the pitch. Stil, few of the young players seem to adapt well to the new environment and I am thinking here to backrow Chiriac (injured this time but played in first two matches really well), scrum-half Lupu, frontrow Cretu.

Man of the match: Dinamo's scrum-half Tudorel Bratu

Conclusion:
It looks like we will have 5 contenders for the play off, Dinamo looking strong enough to challenge any other team from top 4. Iasi and U Cluj will probably try to avoid the wooden spoon but if they will manage to get some finances to strengthen their squads (because bench is the main issue) they might put up a much better opposition.

Anniversary:

On 8 September we celebrate first rugby match played in Romania which happened in 1913 on the same field where is now based Romanian Rugby Federation and Arcul de Triumf national stadium:
https://frr.ro/2017/09/08/104-ani-de-la-momentul-zero-al-rugbyului-romanesc/

Last edited:
Okay, questions must be asked about Matt Williams. :p

Would never have happened in Heinkell's day!

I thought Dinamo looked much improved in the backs against Steaua. This confirms it. 5 teams potentially fighting for the ***le is very healthy.

No I don't think so, I think Williams should be left to do his job, after all he come to take over a team that he didn't know, had little say in the transfers and many key players were injured.

I do however blame Timisoara's management for some transfers they've made. They could have found better props than Doge Mesuke and the tongan who started with CSM and signed players who can't make it into the team (Pretorius and two Saffa props) and so on.

LE:
Highlights from CSM - Timisoara

Last edited:
I'm half joking about Matt Williams, although he is not loved or rated in Scotland. It is far too early to judge him.

Do you think Apjok went to CSM as a promotion (for more money?) or did Baia Mare let him go in preference for Sava?

CSM in Baia Mare and Timisoara hosting Steaua next week. Two tasty fixtures and the sort of unpredictabile competion that can only help Superliga gain fans.

I don't know for sure. Club's statement said that they part ways after 12 years.

I think the 8th final of championship lost to Timisoara have something to do with it too. CSM was left unexpected by Bradley so probably the decision to sign Apjock come quite hastily, SL kick off approaching and wasn't enough time to look for another coach.

Next week-end should be interesting, so far the standard of rugby between top clubs was quite high.

About Williams, I think is too early to talk about his skills, he needs time to make the team works in the way he want. He said at the last press conference that they try a new system and it takes some time for players to adapt. Why he isn't rated in Scotland? It seems he is rated in Ireland.

He just had the Scotland job at a time when he had an extremely poor player pool to choose from. I think he was harshly judged. His achievements at Leinster alone should mean he is an excellent coach by Superliga standards despite his long absence from head coaching.

Round 4 results:

Timisoara Saracens 15 - 15 CSA Steaua Bucuresti

Rather dull match, without a clear try scoring phase, with a Steaua team that come decided to bag as few points as possible. Steaua managed to kick the points to obtain a draw in last minute of the game when it was down to 13 players due to two yellow cards. Man of the match was Conache, the eternal bench player who was at fullback this time and kicked all the points scored by his team. Even if the last final of SL was won mostly based on his boot he's still a bench player although he can cover fly-half, wing or fullback and even played few games at scrum-half last season.

CS Universitatea Cluj 25 - 38 CS Dinamo Bucuresti

It was a balanced match and although Cluj students did pretty well in the first half but the bench failed them once more. Dinamo played in the usual manner. Tudorel Bratu seem to be in a brilliant form, he scored two tries, 5 conversions and a penalty, a total of 23 pts.

CSM Stiinta Baia Mare 24 - 15 CSM Bucuresti

First half was balanced but in the second one the hosts managed to break winners also due to the missed penalties by Calafeteanu. Nothing much to say about this match except that hosts kicking game was surprising.

Other news:

Oaks' staff (Howells, Moffat, Rieg) will participate to the training sessions of Bucharest based clubs this week and next weeks will visit the clubs from across the country or will assist at their training sessions should they be in Bucharest.

Howells: "For us, it is a great opportunity to reunite the players from the national team and to see the young players who in the near future could make the step towards the big team, to see them exactly in the daily training place. I have watched the Super League matches that have been so far and I am glad to see that the matches are more balanced than last season. As we discussed at the club's coaches meeting in July, we want to see the training they are doing, see how we can improve the level of training of the players who come to the national team. At this point, players have individual training programs and I want to renounce to them gradually , players being already trained as we want directly by clubs. We have to find an agreement between all the coaches, an agreement that will lead to a better training of the athletes in order to fulfill as much as possible the requirements of the national team. These days, we will attend the team training, we will try to help if we are asked for help, answer the questions if they exist, look for solutions together if needed "

Round 5

Dinamo Bucuresti 22 - 22 Timisoara Saracens
( full match: https://www.privesc.eu/arhiva/77955 )

https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4411

Poor and unspectacular match is probably the best description for this one. Timisoara started the match with a bunch of young players, probably because the very long list of injured players and probably because Mr. Williams wants to see all players from the team playing. From the young ones, Popa have a very good match, he was the best player in Timisoara's backline. Simionescu scored a try and I think Rupanu had a good game too. Neculau with a yellow didn't played too well although he put up some good tackles and Iftimciuc played too little to have an idea.

Tudorel Bratu was again the man of the match and he scored the last two penalties, in last minutes which saved Dinamo from defeat. Although the hosts are in a visible progress, I think they still have room for improvement as the team doesn't work as it is supposed too, the return in defense is slow, the support is slow and generally the positioning for both phases, attack and defense is poor.

About Timisoara, I didn't see impovements. Poor discipline cost them victory, the rucking and the breakdown being their main weakness, too many penalties for simple technical. It is true that they have a lot of injured players but they lost the match due to complacency and Mr. Williams have a difficult task ahead. From my point of view, some players need to be put aside for the time being as they are not focused or prepared enough.

The result is fair and from the perspective of the game none of the teams would have deserved a win.

Politehnica Iasi 20 - 29 CS Universitatea Cluj

https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4413

The derby of the last placed teams in standing finished with a rather surprising win of the visitors. Although Iasi started strong with a draw which could have been a win in an away match vs CSM, they weren't able to replicate it in the next rounds.This is U Cluj first win this season after matches were they showed they could keep close of even the top teams but the bench is not up to the task.

CSA Steaua Bucuresti 39 - 37 CS Stiinta Baia Mare

Highlights:

Telekom Sport Romania has inaugurated the broadcast of SL matches on facebook so full match can be watched here:

First Half:

Second half:

https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4409

This is perhaps the most spectacular match of Super Liga so far, with 9 tries and fast playing tempo from both teams could have won this as score swing alternatively in each teams favor for the duration of the match. Surugiu - Vlaicu pair of halves had an excellent game and were able to set a very fast tempo and attacking moves. Wing Neagu was declared man of the match and also Ionita had a good game, especially in defense. I think Dumbrava made a very good job so far and his team is playing really fast with ball in hand and I expect them to be even better in next rounds.

Baia Mare is changing its game and it is obvious they play a more open style compared with previous years. I think Sava is still looking to shuffle some positions. About potential Oaks, Chirica was a tackling machine, Bucur was dangerous in attack when entered the team, Apostol looks to be back on his form after a long suspension. Botezatu had a poor game and I think Sava should look for another player at fullback.

Standings after 5 rounds may be found here:

https://www.super-liga.ro/superliga/clasament/

Glad to see a match between ***le contenders that was open and exciting rather than nervous and low scoring. The crowd were super excited at the end for that crazy try and hopefully will come back in future and bring their friends. Stratila did very well for his solo try. The back three all look dangerous with ball in hand for Steaua and combined with those halfbacks (and hopefully Boldor) things look very promising. They seem a bit more physical than last year up front.

Baia Mare clearly being instructed to offload more. It backfired on them when they played pingpong with the ball and Dumitru stole it for a try. But it is good to see them modernise too. I might actually watch the full game to get a better look at Baia Mare.

Timisoara is 5th! Unthinkable. Sack the Williams brothers. Grainger Heinkell for president. :p

Last edited:
Stratila is showing improvement but he still have to work in defense and Neagu shows good form.

Fly-half situation for Steaua is intriguing. They have Vlaicu who often plays center but I think for Oaks' sake he should play 10 more as there are 4 good options at center for Oaks (Kinikinilau, Ionita, Fakaosilea and V. Popa). Than they have two young talents, Boldor and Melinte and although many rate the first one I do think Melinte is not far off and if I'd be coach I'll also try him at fullback or on wing, considering his skilled sidestep and running. Than there is the young Tongan Pantelesio Oneone who had good games for Steaua. I feel that they could have borrow one of these 3 players to another club to have more game time because probably Vlaicu will be the main choice in difficult games.

As for Baia Mare, I think Sava is still looking for solutions in backline. Botezatu is not in the form before injury and frankly he's not a fullback, I'd like to see there Bucur (who started as center as a second first received few times) or even Oprea if Ratu Taniela will be remain at 10.

Is this a first for Romanian rugby / tier 2 rugby in a main Euro tournament? Excluding the Italian / Romanian ref Mitrea (?). If so, another nice small step in the right direction.

Is this a first for Romanian rugby / tier 2 rugby in a main Euro tournament? Excluding the Italian / Romanian ref Mitrea (?). If so, another nice small step in the right direction.

No, he refereed before Challenge Cup matches, FRR says 11 matches at this level.

Howells declared today at Rugby Nation TV show that Romania will play only 2 games this Autumn because WR couldn't find a team to travel to Europe.

Telekom Sport (ex. Dolce Sport) will broadcast one match / round from Super Liga on facebook from now on. Tomorrow at 15:00 Romanian timezone you can watch Dinamo - CSM Bucuresti.

https://www.facebook.com/telekomsportromania/

Embarrassing, bordering on shameful, that a top European side can't get three tests in November. Fastest growing economy in Europe too last year and 20million people? Its not like you are an irrelevant market.

Not to mention, the current European Champions!

They should organize themselves a visit from Argentina XV, the newly crowned South American Champions. Just to make a point. Throw in the North American Champions - USA South - for good measure, call it the Trans-Atlantic Championship. Namibia can challenge for it later if they have any objections.

Last edited:
It seems FRR will organize some match for Romania A at the end of October/start of November.

Back to local competition, 6th round had the following results:

CS Dinamo Bucuresti 32 - 53 CSM Bucuresti

Dinamo made it easy for visitors, they played without a certain plan other than trying to use their pack. On the rare occasions when they wanted to go wide, players positioning was simply not appropriate hence they lacked support and targets for offloads. At the end of the match, when the margin was already big enough Dinamo managed some tries after some all out attack phases. Young prop Dumitrescu (Dinamo) got some success at his debut with his drives and by scoring a try trough a soft CSM defense.

Highlights:

Full match:

CSM Stiinta Baia Mare 64 - 0 Politehnica Iasi

The hosts celebrated 40 years since the club was established and visiting team did nothing to try to spoil their party. At this score, hard to comment anything.

Full match:
https://www.privesc.eu/arhiva/78079

CS Universitatea Cluj 22 - 38 Timisoara Saracens

Cluj was a stronger opposition that its place in the standings and was close of Timisoara for the duration of the match. Romanian Sarancens don't seem to find their form and now we can say that Williams saw the entire squad and could settle to a starting XV because some of the injured players are fine now and can play.

Romania U20 started a new preparation week:

Props
Iulian Hartig (CSM Bucuresti), Rares Straja (U Cluj), Laurentiu Nica (U Cluj), Vladut Anghel (Barlad)
Hookers
D
arius Placintar (U Cluj), Adrian Tala (Tomitanii), Dragos Lucan (Steaua), Flavian Cuprian (Tomitanii)
Locks
Stefan Iancu (CSM Bucuresti), Augustin Simuleac (U Cluj), Cristian Coroian (U Cluj)
Backrow
Alexandru Gealapu (CS Bourgoin), Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens), Robert Murariu (Barlad), Gabriel Ciorbac (Tomitanii), Dragos Ser (CSM Bucuresti)
Scrum-half
Andrei Ballock (U Cluj), Petru Azoitei (Barlad), Vladut Bocanet (CSS 2 Baia Mare)
Fly-half
Andrei Homiuc (Tomitanii), Vlad Leica (Barlad)
Centers
Ovidiu Sarpe (Dinamo), Claudiu Grad (CSS 2 Baia Mare), Mihai Costea (Barlad), Tiberiu Both (U Cluj), Cosmin Iliuta (CSM Bucuresti),
Wings
Paul Herman (U Cluj), Petrica Mihalache (CSS 2 Baia Mare), Ionut Vatafu (Tomitanii)
Fullback
Alin Enache (Dinamo), Alexandru Craciun (Barlad)

Head Coach: Fergus Pringle
Assistant coach: Daniel Hildan (Dinamo)

Romania U20 will play 2 preparation matches this week, vs. Dinamo II (3rd division) and Tomitanii (DNS - second division)

Last edited:

Latest posts