• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian Rugby

Has anyone got updates on the RWC2019 fiascoes about player eligibility for Spain, Belgium and Romania?

Also, Romanian Cup Final this weekend so it should be a good game.
No update, only hectic stuff from Spanish press.

About Cup's final I'll try to provide a link if it will be streamed. The venue was moved 3 times. First was set in Bucharest but Baia Mare didn't agree. Than it was moved in Moldova to Iasi but CSM did not agree (there is an old personal dispute between the heads of these two clubs' administration ;) ) than it was decided for Cluj Arena but the rent was probably too big and it was finally moved on U Cluj small stadium :) An odyssey created by vanity :D I'll try to provide a link if one will be available

Stiinta Baia Mare:

1. Suciu
2. Natriashvili
3. Nailago
4. Rosu
5. Dania
6. Chirica
7. Morrell
8. Ailenei
9. Shamkaradze
10. Bredell
11. Sikuea
12. Fakaosilea
13. Doneghan
14. Lamboiu
15. Marawunawasawasa

16. Bardasu
17. Pristavita
18. Muresan
19. Dumani
20. Tigla
21. Oprea
22. Apostol
23. Feofaaki

Some Oaks are kept on the bench along with Feofaaki so I presume they look for impact in forwards in second half

CSM Bucuresti:

1. Balan
2. Oancea
3. Pocris
4. Toader
5. Gigauri
6. Arvinte
7. Ion
8. Carpo
9. Faasen
10. Barron
11. Cobden
12. Maliepo
13. Iliuta
14. Ispir
15. Sioeli

16. Petucher
17. Ionescu
18. Baliashvili
19. Van Heerden
20. Riley
21. Calafeteanu
22. Prunaru
23. Wheeler

Interesting start for young Iliuta at 13, he showed great form lately but he's usually a winger. As far as I know he was supposed to be with U20 squad.

Has anyone got updates on the RWC2019 fiascoes about player eligibility for Spain, Belgium and Romania?

Also, Romanian Cup Final this weekend so it should be a good game.
No update, only hectic stuff from Spanish press.

About Cup's final I'll try to provide a link if it will be streamed. The venue was moved 3 times. First was set in Bucharest but Baia Mare didn't agree. Than it was moved in Moldova to Iasi but CSM did not agree (there is an old personal dispute between the heads of these two clubs' administration ;) ) than it was decided for Cluj Arena but the rent was probably too big and it was finally moved on U Cluj small stadium :) An odyssey created by vanity :D I'll try to provide a link if one will be available

Stiinta Baia Mare:

1. Suciu
2. Natriashvili
3. Nailago
4. Rosu
5. Dania
6. Chirica
7. Morrell
8. Ailenei
9. Shamkaradze
10. Bredell
11. Sikuea
12. Fakaosilea
13. Doneghan
14. Lamboiu
15. Marawunawasawasa

16. Bardasu
17. Pristavita
18. Muresan
19. Dumani
20. Tigla
21. Oprea
22. Apostol
23. Feofaaki

Some Oaks are kept on the bench along with Feofaaki so I presume they look for impact in forwards in second half

CSM Bucuresti:

1. Balan
2. Oancea
3. Pocris
4. Toader
5. Gigauri
6. Arvinte
7. Ion
8. Carpo
9. Faasen
10. Barron
11. Cobden
12. Maliepo
13. Iliuta
14. Ispir
15. Sioeli

16. Petucher
17. Ionescu
18. Baliashvili
19. Van Heerden
20. Riley
21. Calafeteanu
22. Prunaru
23. Wheeler

Interesting start for young Iliuta at 13, he showed great form lately but he's usually a winger. As far as I know he was supposed to be with U20 squad.

final result

Stiinta Baia Mare 26 - 27 CSM Bucuresti after extra time

For curious ones, here is a second Division match in Romania between two of the best teams at the respective level, Tomitanii Constanta (white) vs CS Navodari (dark blue stripes). The hosts have some very interesting young players.

Chester Williams back to Timisoara and will lead the team in the attempt of winning Continental Shield and Super Liga.

Retro Rugby Romania is a new youtube channel which aim to put online videos of the matches played by Oaks or other Romanian rugby teams.

First two:

This is played in Braila where it was not any rugby team back than in first division if I remember well (at least I couldn't find any).

Interesting changes to Baia Mare and quite unexpected.

Head Coach George Sava was fired allegedly because the players didn't liked him and he was too tough. But take this with a pinch of salt, it's just what I heard

New Head Coach is Argentinean Mario Alejandro Canale for 2018 - 2019 season and he's the first foreign coach from club's history.

Georgian hooker Natriashvili was excluded from the squad on disciplinary grounds.

Last round of Super Liga:

Dinamo 29 - 33 CSM Stiinta Baia Mare

Excellent result for hosts despite the loss, they fielded a very young team

Steaua 15 - 33 CSM Bucuresti

Visitors got the winning tries in last 5 minutes and a Steaua with 10 U23 players gave them good game, defended very clever and hit on counter attack. MVP of the match was center Moa Maliepo but it is odd considering Nicholas Onutu, CSM wing scored 3 tries.

Semifinals will be next week:

Steaua Bucuresti - CSM Stiinta Baia Mare

CSM Bucuresti - Timisoara Saracens

In second division, Tomitanii defeated Navodari and will play the final next week vs CSM Gloria Buzau.

Highlights from Steaua - CSM

watch Steaua's 10 and CSM 11

Interview with Lynn Howells:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/return-tireless-welsh-rugby-coach-14615654

at Wembley Stadium which was played in front of a tournament record attendance of 89,267 (Image: PA)
"We played in front of the biggest crowd ever, against Ireland at Wembley, we had the biggest comeback in World Cup history when we beat Canada in Leicester and we also played at the Olympic Stadium," he said.

"So those highlights are very good.

"Winning the Rugby Europe Championship last year, for the first time in 12 years, was pretty good as well."

But then, in March, Howells' time in charge came to an end, as he resigned along with his two assistants, Scottish backs coach Rob Moffat and Italian forwards coach Massimo Cuttitta.

Explaining his departure, he said: "It was two-fold really.

"We lost to Spain in a World Cup qualifier and everyone was pointing fingers everywhere.

"But to be perfectly honest it was a culmination of time out there.

"I had gone as far as I could with the group of players. I had come to the end of my time.
"When you get a result like Spain, which looked like it was going to cost Romania a World Cup spot, you have to take responsibility."

As it turned out, there was to be a further twist in the qualification saga, as Spain lost to Belgium in Brussells, which meant Romania taking the automatic spot in the finals after all.

It was a hugely controversial game with the Spanish fuming over the officiating of Romanian referee Vlad Iordachescu and a number of their players confronting him after the final whistle, resulting in lengthy bans for five of them.

And still the saga continues, with an investigation having been ordered into Romania, Spain, and Belgium possibly using ineligible players, which may affect qualifying for the World Cup.

"It is still going on. It is incredible," said Howells.

"I can not believe how World Rugby and European Rugby can not come to a decision on this.

"I watched the game in Brussles. I know it was a Romanian referee, but Spain had four or five clear-cut opportunities to win the game and didn't score.

"They can't blame the referee for that. That's their problem.

"It was an easy thing to do, point the finger at the referee, but it was Spain's fault they didn't qualify.

"All of a sudden it has kicked off again with talk of ineligible players.

"You could end up with a situation where there is nobody out of that competition qualifying because everybody has pointed a finger at everybody else about fielding ineligible players. I don't know where they go then. It's just farcical to be honest.

"There is supposed to be a game in next week or so, with the second team in the group playing Portugal in a knock-out tie and nobody knows who that is!"

https://www.rfi.ro/sport-103294-sione-vaiomounga-multumesc-din-inima-bunului-popor-roman

Sione Vaiomounga saga comes to an end, it seems the kidney transplant is successful and Tongan XV International will apply for citizenship. Congratulations to all factors involved because they made possible such a nice humanitarian gesture such as Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (thanks to which all difficult administrative stuff is solved), doctors and medical/social workers from Cluj-Napoca, FRR, his club, colleagues, anonymus donors from internet.

Nice interview with Howells, thanks. I hope he can be convinced to come back and lead Romania against Portugal in the relegation match.

The Baia Mare news is dire. Sava was surely the front runner for an eventual home grown national team coach? I assume that because he only became BM coach this season there is no way this is connected to the eligibility Faka-up? Maybe he tipped off his old Russian buddies by accident. :p

A 65 year old replacement smacks a little of desperation. I may have to switch back to Steaua next season!

Not enough time to watch the rugby I want to these days but hopefully I can squeeze in a semi final.

Truth is Baia Mare game plan looked very limited this season and many local fans questioned Sava's ability to coach the team. Rumors said he was too harsh and players don't like him. Anyway he'll assist the team until the final but it is an odd move from a club that is knows to be a stable one with this type of decisions. Canale seem to have good references tough.

For Oaks Head coach, only one rumor so far, Apjok from CSM, Thomas Lievremont (ex France U20 head coach) as forwards coach and Sosene Anesi as backs coach. Hard for me to understand how somebody from FRR thinks to Apjock (again defeated by Chester Williams) and Sosene Anesi who wasn't able to show anything of value at Timisoara so far.

I hope will be Lievremont as he left a very good impression among Oaks but with the other two...I have big doubts to say at least.

As for semifinals, the good news is Telekom showed the matches for free and the bad news is the video wasn't left on available to a review. FRR made a mess from media presentation of Super Liga in this half of season. Other than live, you can hardly see any video of matches and the results are not updated on the competition website.

Romania A squad for match vs England Counties:

Props:
Alexandru Savin (CSM Bucuresti)
Marius Lungu (CSA Steaua)
Ionel Badiu (Timisoara Saracens)
Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)
Silviu Suciu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Hookers:
Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)
Alexandru Oancea (CSM Bucuresti)
Florin Bardasu (CSM (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Locks:
Stefan Iancu (CSM Bucuresti)
Dorin Lazar (Timisoara Saracens)
Florian Rosu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marian Drenceanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Kamil Sobota (CSM Bucuresti)

Backrow:
Cristian Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)
Damian Stratila (CSA Steaua)
Silviu Gradinaru (CS Dinamo)

Scrum-half:
Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Andrei Ballok (U Cluj)
Tudorel Bratu (CSM Bucuresti)

Fly-half:
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
George Oprea (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Centers:
Stefan Cucos (CS Tomitanii)
Ionut Balaban (Dinamo)
Florin Ionita (CSA Steaua)

Wings:
Alexandru Porojan (CSA Steaua)
Mihai Lamboiu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marian Apostol (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Fullback:
Ionut Botezatu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Few veterans who didn't catch the Oaks in last two years (except Badiu) but otherwise a very young squad.

No head coach announced yet.

Latest posts