• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romanian trio have trial with Cardiff Blues

psychic duck

International
The Cardiff Blues are trialling 3 Romanian players confirmed yesterday.

Vali-si-Andrei-Ursache.jpg

Andrei Ursache - 28 years old - 8 caps - Loosehead Prop/Tighthead Prop

Only took up rugby aged 20, after being persuaded by his younger brother Valentin Ursache (Romania's lock and was named in the Pro D2 Dream Team last season). Made his debut in the ENC this year (with the absence of Romania's first choice props Mihai Lazar of Castres and Paulica Ion of London Welsh) and did well, keeping his place in the side for the entire year. He is predominantly a loosehead prop, but also plays tighthead prop quite often.

The Romanian scrum has actually become underrated by many due to the lesser amount of Romanians in the top leagues these days, but in fact it is as strong as the Georgian scrum, and is a strong aspect of the game for them.

In the IRB Nations Cup this year, Ursache played all three games for Romania, and the Oaks scrum was on great form. They won a penalty try to beat Italy A, and were also giving the Italians all kinds of trouble even with their own put in that match, they also got the upper hand in the scrum against the Argentina Jaguars, although the Argentines managed to avoid conceding so many penalties despite going backwards.

The Romanian scrum has been tremendous all year, but it's a collective effort with the other front rowers, so I don't know whether it is Ursache in particular helping this. But if it was him who was the main man in the good scrum, then this could be a good trial for the Cardiff Blues. He won't cost much at all, and must be an improvement on Campese Ma'afu, who has been routinely destroyed every time I saw him play for Fiji.

Viorel-Lucaci-in-meciul-cu-Spania-360x215.jpg

Viorel Lucaci - 26 years old - 12 caps - Flanker

Another player who has broken into a much improved Romanian side of 2012. He's a big 6 foot 3 inch, no nonsense flanker, who seems to enjoy the physical side, especially rucks and ball carrying, a style of play which sees him often bloodied (this year he had to have 13 stitches to his head after a cut to the head). Looked quite good behind a dominant pack this year for Romania, I haven't seen him behind a poor front row though (which he would likely get at the Cardiff Blues). Plays all three back row positions, but normally either 6 or 7, has swapped them all year for Romania.

tamba_petru.jpg

Petru Tamba - 21 years old - Uncapped - Loosehead prop

Hadn't head of this kid before as he hasn't played for the national team. But on research, he was the U20 Romania captain previously, and is a short compact prop and compares himself to Thomas Domingo.

Having a look at some Eastern European forwards to bulk up the Blues pack is an idea no doubt proposed to them by Kingsley Jones, who has said openly that clubs are missing out on bargains by not scouting in Eastern Europe. These players also are very cheap compared to the likes of buying a Super Rugby player. Jones was also most likely involved in advising Lyn Jones of London Welsh getting Kirill Kulemin of Russia and Paulica Ion of Romania.

The prop's I can see as helping the front row of the blues and hopefully get them a good platform.. However they dont really need another backrow forward.. With Warburton, Petorious and Navaldi along with a few others they can chop and change with.

Could be handy during the AIs though, with (potentially) all of those named above off with Wales (either training or playing).

Great to see players from lower-tier countries getting a go though.

That guy in the top photo is getting a right handful there.

Could be handy during the AIs though, with (potentially) all of those named above off with Wales (either training or playing).

Great to see players from lower-tier countries getting a go though.

That guy in the top photo is getting a right handful there.

Haha, couldn't help but notice that myself.

This is a great idea, none of the props we have at the moment are having a good time, and we desperately need someone to shore up the scrum if we want to even be competitive in the Heineken Cup! A couple of hard nosed Romanians is a cracking idea, just like Georgia they're renowned for producing them, and after the way they mullered the Scottish scrum in the World Cup I'd love a few of them playing at the Arms Park!
Also on Kingsley Jones, I'm gutted that he didnt get picked up by the Blues though Phil Davies is a cracking coach imo) because he is one of the most knowledgeable coaches/commentators ive ever seen, especially when it comes to scrums. I remember him commentating London Irish vs Cardiff Blues in the HC last season, and he really went in depth into the details and techniques used in the contest between Gethin Jenkins and Faan Rautenbach, was great to listen to as most seem to just skim over the subject. Plus as psychic says, he's got a cracking knowledge on the gems to be found in eastern Europe and Russia.

The props Andrei Ursache and Petru Tamba have had their trial extended for a month. But the flanker Viorel Lucaci hasn't had his trial extended.

Have they even played for the Blues? :S or are they just training/playing with the feeder teams?

An update on these Romanians. Andrei Ursache has not been signed and has now joined Pro D2 side Carcassonne. But Petru Tamba is now expected to sign in the coming weeks.

Odd how the Blues have decided not to sign the experienced prop who has done well for Romania this year, getting a penalty try against Italy A in June. But sign Petru Tamba, who is just 21 lacking experience, has no caps at international level and still very much some way from his peak.

An update on these Romanians. Andrei Ursache has not been signed and has now joined Pro D2 side Carcassonne. But Petru Tamba is now expected to sign in the coming weeks.

Odd how the Blues have decided not to sign the experienced prop who has done well for Romania this year, getting a penalty try against Italy A in June. But sign Petru Tamba, who is just 21 lacking experience, has no caps at international level and still very much some way from his peak.

Hmmm. Anyone else thinking what I am?

He is not that inexperienced, has played a season in the Scottish premiership, for Melrose RFC, and also, has some caps for the Wolves (not 100% sure though) in the Amlin Cup.

For a 21 years old prop, i think it's a decent point to start from.

Neither have played for Cardiff RFC mind, be interesting to know who they did play for if they did over in Wales.

Romanian media reporting that Petru Tamba has officially now signed a 6 month contract.

I'm surprised the Blues didn't go for somebody more experienced.

What a rise for Petru Tamba! Six weeks ago he was just a young prop being the reserve of Mihai Adascalitei at Dinamo, the 3rd club from the bottom of the Romanian Superliga. And now he gets signed by a club that plays in the Heineken Cup and one of the best leagues in the world and becomes a starter for the Oaks as well.

I am also surprised that Cardiff did not select Ursache, or some other experienced prop, since they need a fast solution to their scrum problems. But maybe Tamba is much better than we think.

Last edited:
I also think that Andrei Ursache is better then Petru Tamba, but he is 28 while Tamba is very young and has a lot of potential.
Petru Tamba will make his debute at the national team today against Japan. I'm realy looking forward to see how he will perform.

Weird situation, the media and even Tamba stated that he signed a 6 months contract, but i fail to find any news about this on the Blues page. The only news is the first one, about the trio getting to Wales.

Maybe he's on a trial period in these 6 months and then if he'll confirm they will turn the contract in a full one?

Petru Tamba is on the Cardiff Blues bench for the first time tomorrow and may make his debut.

I think this could be a great signing for the Blues as he has impressed in Romanian colours destroying the Japanese scrum in November.

However he is only 21, so as a young prop he may need time. But he has shown a lot of promise early on in Romania and could be a good investment on the loosehead side. Hopefully from a Blues point of view the Ma'afu mistake is now just history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts