• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 11. Highlanders v Crusaders

D

Dumbo

The Highlanders after being beaten by the Cheifs last week take on the Crusaders (who if Force supporters have not heard it enough, got rapped by the Crusaders).
Looks like the Crusaders have taken the oppurtunity to rest a few players as well as having a few injury concerns that dosen't seem to be concerning them too much.
The Highlanders showed last weeek though that they can score points, but can the score points against a team like the Crusaders?

Crusaders: Leon MacDonald, Scott Hamilton, Casey Laulala, Aaron Mauger, Caleb Ralph, Dan Carter, Kevin Senio, Mose Tuiali'i, Richie McCaw (captain), Reuben Thorne, Isaac Ross, Ross Filipo, Campbell Johnstone, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks. Reserves: Ti'i Paulo, Wyatt Crockett, Kieran Read, Johnny Leo'o, Andy Ellis, Stephen Brett, Rico Gear/Rua Tipoki.

It is Kevin Senio's turn this week on the halfback merry-go-round with Andy Ellis dropping to the bench. Rookie Isaac Ross gets his first start in Super 14 rugby, Rico Gear is rested but bracketed on the bench with Rua Tipoki, Scott Hamilton shifts to the right wing and Ben Franks gets a start in the front row with Wyatt Crockett riding the pine.

highlanders wont even get a look in, crusaders are going well, especially after putting in that performace they did last weekend.

crusaders by a huge margin, but not as much as what the did against the force :)

The Highlanders showed last weeek though that they can score points, but can the score points against a team like the Crusaders?
[/b]

If the Waratahs can do it, so can the Highlanders.

This is one match I was looking forward to. The battle between Dan Carter vs Nick Evans. If Evans wants a seat to France, this is the chance to prove himself against the best.

The Highlanders have shown great attacking capabilities. Their forwards can go toe to toe against the Saders but it's their young backline that I'm not sure will be up to the task....but they got Waqaseduadua. :D

so Highlanders by 7.

Think the Highlanders are going to need more than Evans and Waqaseduadua... a lot more.
Think for the Crusaders they have just hit perfict match fitness and will be a major threat to anyone from here on in.

Still looking forward to watching Evans on Carter...

The Highlanders only scored that many points last week because the Chiefs refused to play structured defence and the same went for the Chiefs. If Otago doesn't tighten up their defence this week, they might as well not show up. However, this game is in Otago and should the weather not cooperate it could be an equaling factor. But I doubt it, Canterbury by a comfortable margin.

the force were taught a lesson and now it is time for the highlanders lesson.

Highlanders set to lose trio
Apr 11, 2007 tvnz.co.nz

The Highlanders look set to be without three key players for Saturday's Super 14 clash against the Crusaders in Dunedin.

As well as missing lock James Ryan, the southerners are expected to be without halfback Jimmy Cowan and loose forward Craig Newby.

Cowan has a hamstring injury while Newby has a haematoma to his quad.

The Highlanders name their team on Thursday with loose forward Josh Blackie set to return.

Head to Head:

HIGHLANDERS:
15 James Wilson, 14 Lucky Mulipola, 13 Matthew Saunders, 12 Aaron Bancroft, 11 Viliama Waqaseduadua, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Toby Morland; 8 Ezra Taylor, 7 Alando Soakai, 6 Josh Blackie ©, 5 Tom Donnelly, 4 Hoani MacDonald, 3 Carl Hayman, 2 Anton Oliver, 1 Clarke Dermody. Reserves: 16 Jason Macdonald, 17 Chris King, 18 Kane Thompson, 19 Hale T-Pole, 20 Ryan McCarthy, 21 Charlie Hore, 22 Callum Bruce.

CRUSADERS:
15 Leon MacDonald, 14 Scott Hamilton, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Aaron Mauger, 11 Caleb Ralph, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Kevin Senio; 8 Mose Tuiali'i, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 6 Reuben Thorne, 5 Isaac Ross, 4 Ross Filipo, 3 Campbell Johnstone, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Ben Franks. Reserves: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Kieran Read, 19 Johnny Leo'o, 20 Andrew Ellis, 21 Stephen Brett, 22 Rico Gear/Rua Tipoki.

highlander better bring their A game otherwise well just look what happnened to the force last week.

10-3 at halftime to the Crusaders.

Crusaders 10 (Dan Carter try; Dan Carter conversion penalty)

Highlanders 3 (Nick Evans penalty)

Fulltime

Highlanders 3: Nick Evans pen.

Crusaders 38: Daniel Carter, Caleb Ralph, Casey Laulala 2, Rua Tipoki tries; Carter 4 con, pen; Stephen Brett con.

HT: 3-10.

amazing, the crusaders didnt seem to get off 1st gear, but still hammered their opposition.

good to see dan carter running with the ball, he is looking dangerous.

Another win for the Crusaders,it didn't surprise me at all I knew they would win :D :D :D :D

That is what is so amazing about the Crusaders...they win while not even playing their best...and win easily!

What is Robbie Deans teaching them? How does he turn rejects from other provinces into a team that is on another level? I mean what the hell....Scott Hamilton and Caleb Ralph...how can any team win with those two on? Ross Filipo really is a reject nobody lock...and Rico Gear and Mose Tualii once couldn't even get a starting position in the Champion 2003 Blues position. Mose spent so much time on the warm up bike that year lol! Brent Ward and Tipoki have been picked up this year and seem to understand so quickly the Crusaders mentality.

Every year they get rejects from other provinces and turn them into winners! Then these players leave the Crusaders and lose their form again.....Orene Aii, Mika, Cameron, etc.

Even SUPERSTAR AB Crusaders never seem to be the same once they leave to go to other clubs.......Marshall, Merhtens, Bachop, Maxwell, etc.

The funny thing about it is how QUICKLY the new players into the club adopt the Crusaders style and philosophy. I have seen a few new boys in the team and they seem to all by instinct do the hot potato pass when they are under pressure.

The Crusaders were building big momentum when their AB's were not around....went back a bit when they came back.....and are now building it again.

The only thing that has never changed at the Crusaders is their head coach. Therefore the success at the Crusaders must be pinpointed down to him. If he ever leaves the Crusaders it will be a tall ask expecting them to keep their levels as high again.

Perhaps if the Queensland Reds players went and played for the Crusaders then they would be at the top. There seems to be more talent in other teams as opposed

What is Robbie Deans teaching them? How does he turn rejects from other provinces into a team that is on another level? I mean what the hell....Scott Hamilton and Caleb Ralph...how can any team win with those two on? Ross Filipo really is a reject nobody lock...and Rico Gear and Mose Tualii once couldn't even get a starting position in the Champion 2003 Blues position. Mose spent so much time on the warm up bike that year lol! Brent Ward and Tipoki have been picked up this year and seem to understand so quickly the Crusaders mentality.

Every year they get rejects from other provinces and turn them into winners! Then these players leave the Crusaders and lose their form again.....Orene Aii, Mika, Cameron, etc.
[/b]

Someone by Lavea a bus ticket!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Someone by Lavea a bus ticket!
[/b][/quote]

No don't!!

I don't want to see him next season in an AB jersey playing against Fiji or something with Scott Hamilton on the wing.

Latest posts