• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 12 - Cats v W.Force

D

Dumbo

Battle of the wooden spooners, the Cats (ranked 13th) take on the Western Force (ranked 14).
The Force showed last week that they can be giant killers in their last run against top of the ladder Crusaders.
Could be a good game…

The Force showed that they can match up with the best in the business, a week after producing their worst ever performance. However they will be on the road, and after a long flight, jet lag, and being on the Highveldt, their energy may be sapped a bit.

Still, they are facing a Cats team that no matter where they are playing, or who they have in the team, they just can not perform to the standed required to be competitive in the Super 14.

It could well be close, or a blowout. Either way it will be the Force's first ever win. Force by 10-20 points.

I think the force might be still getting over last weeks near miss which will affect them in this game. also they are playing away from home so they won't have the crowd to lift them home. I think this will be a good game proabbly close but I think the cats will come through in a close game

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 24 2006, 09:23 PM
I think the force might be still getting over last weeks near miss which will affect them in this game.
They played a draw against the Crusaders... you see this as something thats gonna cause them issues? f&*k me... (gay sig or no gay sig, truth we need to have a talk)

:lol2tn:

I dont want to get too confident, but this is such a great chance to win our first match and get off the bottom of the table i'd be shattered if they didn't win this one.

They'll be full of confidence after last week and i'm thinking our first win is on it's way (fingers crossed)

Originally posted by Dumbo+Apr 25 2006, 01:15 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Apr 24 2006, 09:23 PM
I think the force might be still getting over last weeks near miss which will affect them in this game.
They played a draw against the Crusaders... you see this as something thats gonna cause them issues? f&*k me... (gay sig or no gay sig, truth we need to have a talk) [/b]
the fact they came so close and lost. and in some people's view were "robbed".

it surely has to have some affect on them after it has been in the media etc. and I am sure the memories will come flooding back if it is close with a few mins to go. and like i said they are playing away from home so the crowd won't be able to lift them.

this is their best chance of wining though.

i think we'll win, its a great chance and the boys will be really confident after there performance against the crusaders. im saying force by 5.

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 25 2006, 03:08 PM
Um, last time I checked the game ended 23-all which in my books is a draw.

Just stating the obvious..... :)

Originally posted by Jacko+Apr 26 2006, 12:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Apr 25 2006, 03:08 PM

Just stating the obvious..... :) [/b]
I proabbly should have phrased it better. what i was trying to say was that they lost at winining the game if you get my drift.

Originally posted by esoj+Apr 26 2006, 02:58 PM-->
Originally posted by Jacko@Apr 26 2006, 12:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Apr 25 2006, 03:08 PM

Just stating the obvious..... :)
I proabbly should have phrased it better. what i was trying to say was that they lost at winining the game if you get my drift. [/b]
Phrased it better? You were plain out wrong :p . Nice try though buddy ;) .

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 26 2006, 04:40 PM
eh the force did not win buddy they lost at winning the game.
That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't correct English to say a team "lost at winning the game". You can say that they "failed to achieve victory" or they "failed to win the game", but not "they lost at winning the game"... persist with it by all means if it doesn’t bother you, but don't be surprised if people start mistaking you for a Jamaican stoner.

Well, if you ask me, in the previous game, Force vs Crusaders, the cantabs thought they can win the game only by their sheer presence! They`ve underrated Force and that`s why they encountered really difficulties!

It will be different with Cats! I`m not saying Force don`t have the force (hehe) to win their first S14 game, but i don`t think Cats will lose this one! You`ll see !

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 26 2006, 03:34 PM
Well, if you ask me, in the previous game, Force vs Crusaders, the cantabs thought they can win the game only by their sheer presence! They`ve underrated Force and that`s why they encountered really difficulties!

I dont buy that excuse, in the media all last week Robbie Deans insisted that they would not take the Force lightly and that his players had never played in perth before and would treat it as a new challenge.

Sure they didn't play there best, but you have to give the Force most of the credit for that the way they put them under pressure all night.They made the Crusaders look very predictable.

Force by 10

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 26 2006, 06:03 PM
... persist with it by all means if it doesn’t bother you, but don't be surprised if people start mistaking you for a Jamaican stoner.
And trust me, you don't want that.

Pelesasa and MacKay Return for South Africa, Cannon Out  

Saturday, 22 April 2006
RugbyWA

Powerful centre Junior Pelesasa and playmaker Lachlan MacKay have been included in the 26 man squad for the Emirates Western Force's three match tour of South Africa.

The 25 year old Pelesasa returns to the team after suffering what was thought to be a season-ending fracture to his right ankle in the match against the Hurricanes on February 18.

The 23 year old MacKay damaged knee ligaments in the team's Tooheys New Super 14 debut against the Brumbies on February 10, and was also believed to be sidelined for the season.

Celebrations at the quicker than expected recovery of the two backs have been tempered by the news that Wallaby hooker Brendan Cannon will miss the tour, with neck surgery (relating to nerve irritation) likely early next week.

Coming into the squad for Cannon is 22 year old hooker Luke Holmes, who has yet to make his debut for the Emirates Western Force.

Flyhalf Scott Daruda will also miss the tour after damaging his left shoulder in last night's game against the Crusaders.

Joining the squad for the first time is flanker David Pocock, a member of the Australian U19 team, which - this morning - beat New Zealand in the final of the U19 World Championship in Dubai.

Pocock will fly to South Africa from the United Arab Emirates.

Emirates Western Force head coach John Mitchell said he and the team were looking forward to travelling to "rugby-mad" South Africa for the final three games of the season.

He said the games against the Cats in Johannesburg, the Cheetahs in Kimberley and the Sharks in Durban were contests the Emirates Western Force could win.

"It will also be a great learning experience for the younger members of our team and will help develop our depth," he said.

Mitchell said he was delighted at the return of Pelesasa and MacKay, both of whom were most likely to play in the second and third games.

"Unfortunately, Brendan Cannon won't be travelling but it's in the interests of his longer term playing future that he gets his nerve injury dealt with now," he said.

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/wa/wa.rugby/page/44133[/b]

Junior Pelesasa returns from injury
56815558[1].JPG

Fava to post 60th Super Rugby Game as MacKay and Pelesasa Return

Wednesday, 26 April 2006
RugbyWA

Vice captain Scott Fava will play his 60th game of Super Rugby when the Emirates Western Force take on the Cats in Johannesburg on Friday.

Returning to the 22 for the first time since Round 1 is flyhalf Lachlan MacKay, who suffered what was thought to be a season ending injury against the Brumbies.

Also back early than expected from injury is powerful centre Junior Pelesasa, who sustained a broken ankle against the Hurricanes in Round 2.

Former Queensland Red Brock James will start at flyhalf following the shoulder nerve injury suffered by Scott Daruda in last week's draw against competition leaders, the Crusaders.

Fava made his Super 12 debut in 2000 for the Queensland Reds, and played the bulk of his games with the Brumbies before switching to the Emirates Western Force, which he has represented on eight occasions.

Emirates Western Force head coach John Mitchell said he was encouraged by the team's performance against the Crusaders, but it was now a new week, and a new foe, which required a different approach.

"I don't dwell on past performances. I'm just hopeful we can take the momentum from last week's game into Friday night's game," he said.

Although the Cats are just above the Emirates Western Force on the Tooheys New Super 14 ladder, Mitchell said they were not to be taken lightly.

"They're a good team, with quality players like Springboks Andre Pretorius, Wikus Van Heerden and Jaque Fourie. And playing at home will make them a pretty tough opponent," he said.

The squad is: 1. Gareth Hardy 2. Tai McIsaac 3. Angus Scott 4. Pat O'Connor 5. Nathan Sharpe © 6. David Pusey 7. Matt Hodgson 8. Scott Fava 9. Matt Henjak 10. Brock James 11. Digby Ioane 12. Scott Staniforth 13. Josh Graham 14. Haig Sare 15. Cameron Shepherd 16. Luke Holmes 17. David Te Moana 18. Luke Doherty 19. Tim Davidson 20. Chris O'Young 21. Lachlan MacKay 22. Junior Pelesasa

INJURIES: Brendan Cannon (underwent neck surgery on Tuesday - expected to be sidelined 6-8 weeks), David Pocock (ankle sprain), Gavin DeBartolo (ankle sprain), Richard Brown (ankle sprain), Rudi Vedelago (broken leg).
http://www.rugbywa.com.au/wa/wa.rugby/page/44221 [/b]

Great to have Pelesasa and Mackay back ........ it's good times at the Force with the great game last week ,the signing of Giteau and the return of two of our best players , all we need now is a win.

thats great news, its no doubt hes a big powerful guy, something we need, to set markers for the forwards and break through tackles.

Any news on the Cats team?

South Africans to take it. Shouldn't underestimate them at home, even if they do seem cack...

Latest posts