Round 12 - Highlanders v Waratahs

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Dumbo, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

Highlanders (ranked equal 8th) play the Tah’s (ranked 2nd) in Dunedin.
    Both teams return after having a week off, I’d say the Highlanders will be easy picking for the Tah’s and a win for them could put them solidly on top of the ladder.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. aussie1st

aussie1st Guest

The only thing going for the Highlanders is home ground advantage but that hasn't affected the Tahs. I think the Highlanders went 100 years without winning at home against the Tahs. But Tahs should be too good especially with Rogers back.

4. esoj

esoj Guest

highlanders will have to play well to win this one. tahs should be too classy to win this one

5. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

This is a good opportunity for the Tahs to close the gap between them and the Crusaders, they really have to go all out for the bonus point in all there remaining matches.

I say the Tahs will win by 20.

6. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

I'm going to say the highlanders by 1 as part of my master plan. If this doesn't work I'll just have to revert to Plan B.

"What is Plan B?" you ask...

Well I'll tell you "We have to beat the Crusaders as well."

7. Serge

Serge Guest

I'm thinking the Highlanders will win this one. They will play the spoilers gameplan where they just keep kicking to the Warratahs corner and try to force a mistake. Bascially they Highlanders will be doing a lot of tackling, but I think it will pay off, especially if it is wet. Highlanders by 4.

8. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3649944a1823,00.html

So.. this game could end up being played in christchurch, that would be funny :)

matt dunning is a pussy cat

9. Southern man

Southern man Guest

Roads are fine now and the Waratahs are now in Dunedin, and if it would be played in Chch how would the Highlanders get there!?

All this rain has done now is eliminate the Waratahs major advantage their backs, as not only will the ngiht be cold the pitch will be full of water. So I really doubt the Tahs can win by 20 in these conditions.

10. aussie1st

aussie1st Guest

Well according to the article the Waratahs couldn't land in Dunedin but they managed to u-turn back to Christchurch ok. So I guess the Highlanders could have flown out.

But it's all sorted and we can get back to looking forward to the match.

11. The pitch is going to end up as a pig sty unless they can dry it out quickly. I don't think there will be a lot of involvement from the backs for some reason.

12. sanzar

sanzar Guest

This is shaping to be a thoroughly dissapointing game... But the Tah's know how to grind wins out in the forwards pretty well and have several solid goal kickers, so I still back our boys to do the business.

13. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Sanzar, in theory you`re favorites to win this one but (and i don`t know how to explain the feeling), i think Otago will emerge victorious from this game! I`m not saying that to annoy you , it`s just the way i predict this game! I`m counting on a surprise if i can say so !

14. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Well it'll be a rare win for the Highlanders if they can pull off the upset... Because they've only ever beaten the Tahs ONCE from 5 games at Carrisbrook since the S12/14 started!

Personally I think you're clutching at straws budddy ;) . You've tipped against the Tahs most weeks this year and we've only dropped 2 games, so I'm sorta relieved you tipped Otago :p .

15. Rassie

Rassie Guest

The truth is that since Nick Evans got injured, Otago can`t find themselves! I really can`t explain what happend with them since that accident, how come a only player loss meant so much !

Well, let me remind you that in theory you can still miss the semis :bleh!: :D not to mention the way you lost last season the leader position - in the final round when you failed to score the fourth try vs Blues

16. sanzar

sanzar Guest

That decision to go for the penelty in last years match was indicitive of the kind of thinking McKenzie has instilled in the Tahs though, they had 20 minutes left to play in the match and felt that the best option was to not get pannicky about a fourth try and secure a win first and formost... and though they didn't get that fourth try, there's no denying that such thinking has been responsible for the Tah's rise in power in Super rugby... years ago they may have pannicked in desperation for a fourth try and not even beat the Blues in that game!

But listen Rassie, I know that the real reason you tip against the Tahs every week is because their forwards have been so impressive and you just can't take an Aussie team have forwards that outperform saffa ones :p .

17. Southern man

Southern man Guest

Thing is it isn't only one player, But Evans influence on the team was huge. We are also without Hoani macdonald, James Ryan, Andrew Blowers, Paul Willams and Matt Saunders to injury. Any team with that many players injured would struggle.

To note, its raining again.

18. The TRUTH

The TRUTH Guest

Waratahs Team...

1.Benn Robinson
    2.Adam Freier
    3.Al Baxter
    4.Alex Kanaar
    5.Daniel Vickerman
    6.Rocky Elsom
    7.Phil Waugh [v-c]
    8.David Lyons
    9.Chris Whitaker [c]
    10.Mat Rogers
    11.Lote Tuqiri
    12.Sam Norton-Knight
    13.Morgan Turinui
    14.Wendell Sailor
    15.Peter Hewat

16.Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17.Matt Dunning
    18.Will Caldwell
    19.Stephen Hoiles
    20.Brett Sheehan
    21.Daniel Halangahu
    22.Shaun Berne
    23.Leroy Houston
    24.Ben Jacobs

Unchanged from the Brumbies match.

Highlanders....

1.Clarke Dermody
    2. Anton Oliver ©
    3. Carl Hayman
    4. Tom Donnelly
    5. Filipo Levi
    6. Hale T-Pole
    7. Josh Blackie
    8. Craig Newby
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Callum Bruce
    11. Richard Kahui
    12. Seilala Mapusua
    13. Neil Brew
    14. Ben Smith
    15. Ben Blair

Reserves

16. Jason Macdonald
    17. Chris King
    18. Kane Thompson
    19. Tim Boys
    20. Chris Smylie
    21. Ryan Bambry
    22. Roy Kinikinilau

19. loratadine

loratadine Guest

waratahs by 15

20. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

A really, really fat pussy cat!

21. dobrien7

dobrien7 Guest

Even though I'm a loyal Stags/Highlanders fan, I unfortunately have to bow my head and admit Waratahs will be too good, but will take a morale victory here if Dunning gets injured haha baby faced assasin my arse, the only thing he's killing is his career...

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!