• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 12

To be fair its clear from a numver of incidents that Sexton was out for Joey. It wasn't a stamp. It was a knee to groin not a stamp and nowhere near ball.
But equally he doesn't deserve a citing or anything.

This post is just bizarre to me. I'm not saying that it was a knee to the groin. I've seen the footage and there's not a clear enough angle to tell what has happened there. Based on that footage alone, there's 100% no argument for citing Sexton.

BUT.

If it was a deliberate knee to the groin, which you seem certain that it was, then obviously he deserves a citing. If he's going out there to hurt the opposition for no reason outside of malice, then he's scum and I'd be furious if he wasn't cited. How could you possibly think that he doesn't deserve a citing for that kind of conduct? People act like rugby being a physical game is a licence for the players to act like thugs.

Again, I'm not saying that Sexton actually did this. Honestly, I don't think he did. Based on the footage, he might have inadvertently clipped him while trying to get out of the ruck. I'm not advocating for any kind of citing based on the evidence we've seen. I'm just saying that any player who's deliberately hurting opponents who aren't even on the ball deserves every sanction that comes his way.

This post is just bizarre to me. I'm not saying that it was a knee to the groin. I've seen the footage and there's not a clear enough angle to tell what has happened there. Based on that footage alone, there's 100% no argument for citing Sexton.

BUT.

If it was a deliberate knee to the groin, which you seem certain that it was, then obviously he deserves a citing. If he's going out there to hurt the opposition for no reason outside of malice, then he's scum and I'd be furious if he wasn't cited. How could you possibly think that he doesn't deserve a citing for that kind of conduct? People act like rugby being a physical game is a licence for the players to act like thugs.

Again, I'm not saying that Sexton actually did this. Honestly, I don't think he did. Based on the footage, he might have inadvertently clipped him while trying to get out of the ruck. I'm not advocating for any kind of citing based on the evidence we've seen. I'm just saying that any player who's deliberately hurting opponents who aren't even on the ball deserves every sanction that comes his way.
I'm basing it on seeing it in the flesh, hearing Joeys version when treating him and as I said there is other views.
Equally I'm giving Sexton leeway. He lost the head last night. And it was unlike him. The occasion and heat of it all sucked him in. He received some afters too. And well this was not only time he had pot shot at Joey in game.
And I'm calling for no citings as I think that the atmosphere etc can't be explained. It had lads riled up mentally on both sides.

I base it on Sexton not usually being dirty. As I said Lowe was sent off as some may say for flawed laws but overall he aimed a knee at Conors head earlier and instigated alot. He deserves 4 or 5 weeks I hope. Will only get 2 though.
The World Cup places battle and rivalry turned the cooker up a bit as I said last night

To be fair its clear from a numver of incidents that Sexton was out for Joey. It wasn't a stamp. It was a knee to groin not a stamp and nowhere near ball.
But equally he doesn't deserve a citing or anything.

Do you have any insight from Joey on this Muff? Have they fallen out since he's left, they seemed pretty tight before, I know Sexton is uber competitive but he seemed to lose the plot completely last night, it was strange. Especially considering what happened between himself and ROG. I can't recall the last time I've seen him lose his head like that?

Do you have any insight from Joey on this Muff? Have they fallen out since he's left, they seemed pretty tight before, I know Sexton is uber competitive but he seemed to lose the plot completely last night, it was strange. Especially considering what happened between himself and ROG. I can't recall the last time I've seen him lose his head like that?
No falling out. Just heat of the battle. Joey was fine after. He knew what to expect but equally suspects his celebration after 1st try rubbed a few up the wrong way.

In fairness some of the Leinster fans criticising the ref on here, need to to a step back and actually look incidents again. The insinuations that somehow the ref was against them or was a hometown ref is a bit of a lame excuse. And probably if anything Munster should feel aggrieved. If anything he gave them too much chances. Trying to keep players on the field.

There was 6 seen major incidents in the 1st half that went to the TMO. 5 against Leinster & 1 against Munster. Sexton in the 1st incident against Whycerely, warning. Then Fardy's high tackle, 2nd warning. Then Murray's high tackle, 1st warning for Munster. Healy high tackle, a third strike, as expressed by the ref at the time. Furlong leading with shoulder into head, yellow. No arms. Serious damage done to the player in the process. Leinsters 5th incident Lowe on Conway only minutes after no attempt to go for the ball. Player landed badly. Red. After 32mins.

A stricter ref would of given 3 yellows, and 2 reds to Leinster in the first half opposed to Munsters one sin binning. Not to mention Sexton's targeting of Carbery. How a could anyone honestly think they were hard done by is beyond me. They were reckless.

Last edited:
To be fair KerryRed most here have been fine. Snoops main comment was on our poor back play. And thats a fair comment.

I think majority accept that Leinster totally list their heads uncharacteristically.

I would add most ex refs etc think Murphy actually had a very good game and did enforce rules correctly.

To be fair KerryRed most here have been fine. Snoops main comment was on our poor back play. And thats a fair comment.

I think majority accept that Leinster totally list their heads uncharacteristically.

I would add most ex refs etc think Murphy actually had a very good game and did enforce rules correctly.

I don't know read a few very dodgy posts highlighting the ref and Murray. Agreed think we need to bring someone in to help Jones out. Very little invention in the back line which is disappointing because we have the players. We seem to always pass to 12, and are very liable to hospidal passes

Apart from a couple dodgy penalties against Leinster on either side of HT Murphy did as well as you can expect from any ref. I can't even blame him much for those calls either, it'd be human nature to act in favour of the home side after all the **** the away side got up to in the first half hour.

Three high tackles, the third after a warning - fair yellow. Furlong probably should have seen red too (has there been a citing yet?) although if he had I doubt the Lowe incident would have happened as a result.

The penalty going against Sexton after the scrumcap incident was fine, it lacked a bit of consistency later when Munster started a brawl after Healy's high tackle which didn't see the peno reversed. So much happened in the opening 30 that mistakes were bound to happen too.

Murphy was as good as I've seen from an Irish ref in years, the officials didn't ruin the spectacle.

The result doesn't mean much to us in context of the season, obviously losing to Munster is always **** though. We need to win our next three games desperately and focus on maturing a lot over the second half of the season. Leinster's slow starts and petulance are beginning to cost them, you never saw that with Isa around and Kearney seems to be a level head, and notably the only senior player to Sexton, that we miss dearly when gone too

Apart from a couple dodgy penalties against Leinster on either side of HT Murphy did as well as you can expect from any ref. I can't even blame him much for those calls either, it'd be human nature to act in favour of the home side after all the **** the away side got up to in the first half hour.

Three high tackles, the third after a warning - fair yellow. Furlong probably should have seen red too (has there been a citing yet?) although if he had I doubt the Lowe incident would have happened as a result.

The penalty going against Sexton after the scrumcap incident was fine, it lacked a bit of consistency later when Munster started a brawl after Healy's high tackle which didn't see the peno reversed. So much happened in the opening 30 that mistakes were bound to happen too.

Murphy was as good as I've seen from an Irish ref in years, the officials didn't ruin the spectacle.

The result doesn't mean much to us in context of the season, obviously losing to Munster is always **** though. We need to win our next three games desperately and focus on maturing a lot over the second half of the season. Leinster's slow starts and petulance are beginning to cost them, you never saw that with Isa around and Kearney seems to be a level head, and notably the only senior player to Sexton, that we miss dearly when gone too

Lowe's the only one cited.

If he ends up with more than Balouconne I'll be raging.

Lowe's the only one cited.

If he ends up with more than Balouconne I'll be raging.
He deserves alot more. Acting the bollix all during game he could have got red bedore it for the knee aimed at Murrays head. No place for that.

Lowe only 1 cited and deservedly so. Tadgh and Sexton escaped citings and I'm glad on that. Especially Furling as yes it was a red card offence possibly but he wasn't acting the tool all game and it was 1 of them where get it right like he did vs Australia and its superbs. Get it wrong and it's shaky times.
Agree with Alpha though the officals were perfect. Yes he might not have reversed our Pen but that may have been we weren't trying to intimidate him in all the wrong ways. Equally when Joey was thrown to ground by Sexton he didn't act either.

The big calls he got spot on. Healy wasn't for his offence but for the string of pens.
Furlong was correct call.
Lowe deserved it 100% and some.

People say Conway was lucky at end but Fardy never really left ground and was nowhere in same planet as Lowe. Equally again Munster didn't try mouth too much to ref.

Having seen it again (it's Christmas and I've got nothing better to do) Murphy was decent, he definitely favoured the hone team with his penalty decisions but all Pro14 refs do that. The phantom penalty against Ryan at the end of the first half was particularly ridiculous but realistically whenever you go to a venue like Thomond you know there'll be a few dodgy decisions against you. We get the benefit of nonsense calls in our favour at the RDS most weeks as well for example.

Having seen all the incidents again neither fan base can complain about the cards. Furlong probably should have seen red, and Murray and Conway deserved yellows. Overall I think Murphy lacked a small bit of consistency but no more than usual for a Pro14 game and he's a vast step up in terms of Irish refs on the likes of Lacey and Clancy.

Latest posts