• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 9 Power Rankings

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Continuing on from last week, I'll be ranking the teams based on how they've performed up to this point, and how they're likely to fare in the next few games. At a mutual venue, a higher ranked team should in theory come out on top against any lower ranked team.

1 Crusaders (+2)
Destroyed the Hurricanes in almost every aspect of the game. Had a few 50/50 decision go their way, but you make your own luck. With a couple of players still to return to full fitness (see McCaw and Carter), this team will only continue to get better. Watch out Waratahs.

2 Stormers (-1)
With their Australasian tour now almost out of the way they're in the best position to grab that top SA conference spot. They still have to play the (arguably) bottom three sides in the competition - the Lions, Force and Rebels. They dealt better with the Reds tactics this week than with the Crusaders' last week, so they are capable of learning from their mistakes.

3 Chiefs (-1)
Still making poor decisions - kicking for goal from 50 metres out when you're a point ahead with three minutes remaining is not a good move. They defend well, and have a strong attacking arsenal, but need to cut down on errors and penalties. That being said, a 3/3 tour isn't bad takings, and they're still waiting on three first XV players to return from injury in Leonard, Afeaki and Smith. Backing up against the Hurricanes this weekend will be tough.

4 Sharks (+1)
Lost, but still came close. If they can pull it together for a couple of tough games against the other South African sides they will be well placed to push ahead.

5 Bulls (-1)
Won against the Brumbies - just. It's a good thing Steyn found his kicking boots, or they could've been in for a hiding. In NZ and Australia they may not be so lucky.

6 Highlanders (+3)
Showed some attacking flair this weekend that they'd been missing in their games up till this point. Delany could be the best thing to happen to the Highlanders this season. If they can keep up the intensity they took into the game against the Blues, and cut down on some silly errors, they should be able to win 2 or 3 of their tour games coming up.

7 Waratahs (+1)
Slowly dealt to the Rebels, then did what they do best and let them back into the game come the end of the match. They look the most structured of the Australian sides, which will go a long way in winning some of the intra conference matches.

8 Reds (-2)
Have reached the point in their season where they have to start winning well, or they won't be in a position to chase that top Australian conference spot once Quade Cooper gets back. Played poorly against the Stormers - tried to use the same tactics as the Crusaders but didn't kick as well.

9 Hurricanes (-2)
Showed enough in their game against the Crusaders to give them hope that they will still knock over some strong sides. Unfortunately for them they were never going to go the full mile against the well oiled Canterbury machine. With a number of games remaining against NZ sides their chances of making the Top 6 are bleak. Knocking over the Chiefs next weekend, however, would be a good start.

10 Brumbies (+1)
Almost beat the Bulls at Loftus, which as everyone knows is no easy feat. If they can continue to attack in a similar fashion they will be dangerous once they return to Oz.

11 Cheetahs (-1)
What's with these SA training camps for potential Springboks? Pretty much every player from each First XV is being invited (and then some). Surely they aren't all up to international level. I'd love to see a team comprised of only the Cheetahs and the Lions run out against the All Blacks.

12 Blues (=)
Looked markedly better against the Highlanders in their match down in Dunedin. They have a very winnable game this weekend in the battle of the colours, against the lads from Queensland.

13 Force (=)
Have sacked their coach mid season after he'd signed a contract to move to the Reds for next year. It's the nature of professional sport to see players and coaches sort out their futures as soon possible though, this decision looks a bit hasty to me. That being said, they can't get much worse. On that note, why would the Reds want him?

14 Lions (+1)
Sponsors being incorporated into stadium names isn't unusual nowadays, but South Africa takes the cake for having the most ridiculous names of them all. AMI Stadium and Forsyth Barr Stadium are acceptable, Mr Price Kings Park Stadium and Coca-Cola Park are not.

15 Rebels (-1)
With a tour ahead of them and all the Australian sides starting to improve (albeit slowly), there isn't much hope for the Rebels. They looked best with Beale in at first five challenging the Waratahs line - perhaps something for them to consider in the future. On the plus side, they're guaranteed 4 points this weekend with the bye coming up - probably only the fourth time in their history they've ever had guaranteed points.

Crusaders sure look like they have come good just in time, because of the slow start they have had they may not make the top 2-3 but they are the one team that know how to win away finals games.

I still think the chiefs look like a top two team. They aren't playing their best but they are still winning and though their attack isn't sparking as much as it should but their Defense is the best around. I also look at the rest of the chiefs Draw and think they can win a lot of those games, I think their next three games in the great scheme of things don't look like hard games plus they have a bye at a good time. The scary thing is they have a lot of room to improve.

Don't think things are looking too good for the reds, lost bad, I think they will lose again this weekend and they have picked up more injuries they seemed to drop like flies - their only two backs on the bench were needed pretty quickly which meant some of their other backs , because of that i think I'd rate the canes above them. Maybe the Brumbies too.

Strange you have the Bulls behind the sharks even though the bulls won and the sharks lost but the bull do have their road trip still to go, because of that I'd expect them to be higher up the table.

I think the NZ teams' biggest concerns are cannablising the conference.

All of them save for the Blues deserve to make the playoffs one way or another.

Bloody hate this system.

yeah, I agree and I've said it many times before that the current system caters to SA and AUS and really hampers NZ where there isn't really a weak team. It helps Aussie because they are guaranteed a team in the finals even if they are all bad and it favors South Africa since they have 1-2 really strong teams and a couple of pretty weak teams the format makes it easier for African teams to inhabit the top positions and get home finals - which really gives them a massive advantage when it comes to actually winning the thing.

It's really just because of the NZ teams all of them are strong, any team - even the blues can beat any other team. Where in Aus and SA there is a bigger difference between the strong sides and they have sides that are clearly weaker.

At least this year we may get 3 teams into the playoffs but it's still likely an Aussie team will likely claim that spot while the NZ teams scrap amongst themselves.

IMO though the key is not the number of teams NZ gets in the finals it's the critical top spots, because getting home finals is one of the biggest factor to help a team to go on and win. And having an even Conference makes it really hard to win those top qualifying spots.

yeah, I agree and I've said it many times before that the current system caters to SA and AUS and really hampers NZ where there isn't really a weak team. It helps Aussie because they are guaranteed a team in the finals even if they are all bad and it favors South Africa since they have 1-2 really strong teams and a couple of pretty weak teams the format makes it easier for African teams to inhabit the top positions and get home finals - which really gives them a massive advantage when it comes to actually winning the thing.

It's really just because of the NZ teams all of them are strong, any team - even the blues can beat any other team. Where in Aus and SA there is a bigger difference between the strong sides and they have sides that are clearly weaker.

At least this year we may get 3 teams into the playoffs but it's still likely an Aussie team will likely claim that spot while the NZ teams scrap amongst themselves.

IMO though the key is not the number of teams NZ gets in the finals it's the critical top spots, because getting home finals is one of the biggest factor to help a team to go on and win. And having an even Conference makes it really hard to win those top qualifying spots.

Same with the Lions/Cheetahs, they can beat any other team as well on the day, but neither the Lions nor the Blues do - and that is the reality
I am not saying you are wrong here, but let's keep things in perspective

As for the Ausies, I agree fully, to a lesser extend the SA conference
This format should be scrapped in total

NZ are not the only guys unhappy with this stupid conference system, us Saffas are also extremely unhappy about it, and quite possibly more so us Bulls Fans... Currently 4th on the log, but should actually be 1st in the SA conference because of points difference... that has changed though and the Stormers are hanging onto that spot by the narrowest of margins.

The Conference system as I have stated before in other threads are a major negative for SA and NZ conferences as their derby matches are on a way higher intensity than the Aus conference.

I hate this current system, and If I were Sanzar I would seriously reconsider SARU's proposal to make it a super 16 tournament where there are pools and qualification...

Same with the Lions/Cheetahs, they can beat any other team as well on the day, but neither the Lions nor the Blues do - and that is the reality
I am not saying you are wrong here, but let's keep things in perspective

As for the Ausies, I agree fully, to a lesser extend the SA conference
This format should be scrapped in total

Cheetahs yes, Lions no. Blues are traditionally strong and will finish well above the Lions.

I have yet to meet a South African who is happy with the conference system, but it is definitely the most harsh on the NZ conference, Cheetahs are an ok side that can pull off the odd win but Lions are horrible and not even remotely comparable to any of the NZ sides. That said, all of the NZ teams except the Blues deserve a play-off spot? I'd say it's closer to three and by my reckoning three will make it, I'm pretty sure we'll see Crusaders, Chiefs and Highlanders in the play-offs, along with the Stormers, Bulls and Brumbies/Reds.

I'm also quite surprised the Sharks are ranked above the Bulls in OP's post, it's true that the Bulls still need to tour but they do look like the stronger side.

Last edited:
I can see the argument for Beale moved to 10, but surely the Rebels coaches can't be oblivious to the fact that
1) Their set-pieces are very shaky, particularly the lineout and they fail to guarantee good possession
2) They have few ball carriers who enable quick ball for the half backs
3) The front 5 have pretty poor handling and tend to knock the ball on frequently in good positions.

I really don't think The Rebels' problems will be solved by changing which one of the 'three amigos' starts at 10 and which starts at full back. Cipriani appears to have played well recently despite frustratingly little help from his forwards putting him on the front foot.

What do other people think about this?

Latest posts