• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RTÉ & TG4 secure Magners League rights?

A

An Tarbh

Well nothing official yet but according to the Sunday Business Post they've picked up a 4 year contract from next season.

Really hope it's not true as Setanta have been absolutely brilliant for the league, apparently we'll only be getting 1 live match from each broadcaster.

Where'd you find that?

It's sad if they lose tv revenue which they probably will but on the brightside there'll be something other than internationals free to air.

Nice one if its true. At least now there'll be something to watch on the poverty channels other than Eircom league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Oct 19 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice one if its true. At least now there'll be something to watch on the poverty channels other than Eircom league.[/b]

I just hope they do a proper job with the rights they get. Unlikely though, RTÉ never show highlights of live matches except the Sunday Game, so if you don't catch it live you're screwed, they don't put their Heineken Cup highlights on the RTÉ Player so I'd be surprised if they do so with the Magners League.

With Setanta you get at least 3 matches live every weekend, plus there's highlights and reruns. I wouldn't expect the same number of reruns on RTÉ given they've a full schedule as it is but a decent highlights show on top of the live coverage wouldn't be too much to ask.

On the plus side hopefully it's the end of Ciaran Fitzgerald as a pundit.

The ideal scenario would be for RTE to show Munster and Leinster games on Friday and Saturday nights, sell the rights to Ulster games onto BBCNI,for Connacht games to be shown on TG4 and show Against The Head throughout the season rather than just before the Heinken Cup.

We won't get endless reruns as is the case on Setanta but the positive of being free to air rather than limited to a couple of hundred thousand digital viewers outweighs this.

next season is when the new deal apparently begins.

I would have thought if BBC NI were to show any matches then it would have been in the article, given that the deal for Wales and Scotland have previously been announced.

I'd imagine we won't be seeing much of Ulster and Connacht on Irish screens unless they're playing Munster and Leinster, cause they're the only sides I can see RTÉ showing, maybe TG4 will be better, I certainly remember being pleasantly surprised with how good rugbaí beo was.

Given they're down to show 1 game per weekend each, we'll probably see a Friday night game on TG4 and probably a Saturday afternoon match on RTÉ2, cause they're not going to push back the Premiership to accommodate rugby.

I'm beginning to wonder how true this actually is given there's been no official announcement from Celtic Rugby or RTÉ or TG4 themselves. Given the article appeared on Sunday you'd think there'd have been something official by now but the only news we've had in that Specsavers have extended their agreement with the League.

That reminds me- Itallians are being introduced next year, right? Then wouldn't it make sense if they had an italian broadcaster showing it, as well?

Actually, Scotland should try and show more. I understand that it's easy enough to get Welsh TV in Scotland, but surely we'd all love a Scottish accent reading out the team sheets?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That reminds me- Itallians are being introduced next year, right? Then wouldn't it make sense if they had an italian broadcaster showing it, as well?

Actually, Scotland should try and show more. I understand that it's easy enough to get Welsh TV in Scotland, but surely we'd all love a Scottish accent reading out the team sheets?[/b]

not if it's Andy Nicol or Scot Hastings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Actually, Scotland should try and show more. I understand that it's easy enough to get Welsh TV in Scotland, but surely we'd all love a Scottish accent reading out the team sheets?[/b]

not if it's Andy Nicol or Scot Hastings.

Sky Italia would seem the logical choice for the ML given they're already showing the HEC, not sure if they do the coverage for the Super 10.

Lads been honest RTE don't have the money (or brains) to get this deal but hope Setanta do hang on to rights as coverage will be much better.

Also as stated earlier we'll probably see 3o'clock games on a saturday to suit RTE schedule which is bad because:
- Saturday at 5:30/7:30 is perfect times for games
- It will further destroy AIL by making us possibly choose between AIL/Home games

So hopefully it not true like Hook and Pope could be over exposed too :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 19 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well nothing official yet but according to the Sunday Business Post they've picked up a 4 year contract from next season.

Really hope it's not true as Setanta have been absolutely brilliant for the league, apparently we'll only be getting 1 live match from each broadcaster.[/b]
as this been confirmed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Nov 11 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 19 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really hope it's not true as Setanta have been absolutely brilliant for the league, apparently we'll only be getting 1 live match from each broadcaster.[/b]
as this been confirmed
[/b][/quote]

nothing confirmed yet which would make you think Setanta are fighting tooth and nail to hold on to the rights, understandable as it would more than likely be the end for them, at the very least they'll be looking to hold on to them for the next 2 seasons as they've still got the rugby world cup rights.

Latest posts