• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RU and RL

sigesige00

Bench Player
The reason of the split of Rugby into RU and RL was the amateur code of the RFL.
Today there is no longer a necessity for the split, since the amateur code has been abolished.
So I want to a new reunified Rugby.
Since RU is more popular than RL in the world scale, the rules should be closer to RU. However, there should be the limitation of offense like RL's 6-tackle rule.
Is it possible to make a compromised rule?

You're so lucky being retarded is not against Forum rules

It should be illegal for the away team to touch the ball during a game

The reason of the split of Rugby into RU and RL was the amateur code of the RFL.
Today there is no longer a necessity for the split, since the amateur code has been abolished.
Since RU is more popular than RL in the world scale, the rules should be closer to RU. However, there should be the limitation of offense like RL's 6-tackle rule.

No.

It's scary to think that this could be the alias of the head chairman of the IRB....

I'll play Devil's Advocate here...

There is something to be said about bringing the two together. *ducks rotten tomatoes* Now, just hear me out...

Looking at this from the POV of someone living in the States, it's hard enough to explain rugby to the average American, let alone explain to him that there are two forms (well, three if you count 7s) of the game. Here in the States RU is trying to get a foothold, but in some regions RL is gaining popularity. It may not be a problem in England or other places where both forms of the game are long established, but in the US with so many other more familiar sports (baseball, NFL football, college football, college and pro basketball, and now even soccer/football) competing for attention, dividing up the relatively small rugby talent pool between two different forms of the game will only serve to slow down its development here in the States.

However (and before I lose all board cred)...

If you did meld the two sports together there would be all sorts of problems. Firstly, the fans. 'Nuff said in that regard. ;) Secondly, club mergers would probably be necessary, and that in and of itself could get very messy. Thirdly, the two games very different in some very fundamental ways. Do you keep the union scrum? What about line-outs, rucks, and mauls? Which point system do you keep? How many players a side? And do you really want your dignified rugby union players doing that weird league fish-flop thing on the pitch to get out of a tackle? I mean, really...what's up with that?

There are a lot of things to consider, but in all fairness to sige, he's not the first one to come up with this crazy idea. Though most ideas about merging the two have quickly been shot down, there are have been experimental hybrid games played, though I don't think any of the hybrid forms have ever caught on.

das

Last edited:
It would never happen because it is is not in anyone's interest, either financially or from a support base point of view. The only countries who would gain from such a move are Australia, England, New Zealand, and perhaps Wales. In most other predominantly major Rugby Union countries, such as South Africa, France, Ireland, Scotland and Argentina, Rugby Union would have to compromise on the rules in return for gaining hardly anything; a few amateur teams at best.

France would pick up two professional teams in cities that already have major teams anyway (Perpignan and Toulouse) and end up with a slightly bigger player pool. Not much use to them, since, the French have always been able to buy the best league players anyway if they really wanted them. Wales, who could not afford to run five pro teams, would get the Celtic Crusaders/Warriors back whether they wanted them or not.

However, let just put aside all the things against it, and step into an alternate universe. What could the Laws of a Hybrid game look like. If nothing else, it can be a fun thought experiment, so here's my take....

• Reduce the number of players on the pitch to 14, 7 forwards and 7 backs

• The scrum would be contested, would consist of three front row players and two locks. The remaining two "rovers" could bind as flankers, or as a No8 + flanker, but cannot bind on the props. The defence would be 5m back and the scrum halves would have to retire as in league. Feeds must be straight.

• Line-outs would be used as in union with quick throw ins allowed

• Tackles are contested as per RU.

• The offside line at rucks and mauls is 5m behind the hindmost foot of the hindmost player in each team.

• 7 phases (tackles, rucks mauls) allowed. A tackle or maul after the 7th phase results in an automatic turnover with a free-kick (not handed over as in league).

• Any type of turnover (tackle, ruck, maul) restarts the phase count.

• If the maul collapses, its a turnover of possession as per union and the phase count is restarted.

• The team in possession may kick the ball away any time before the end of the 7th phase (i.e. before the 8th tackle or maul)

• If players of the team opposing the team in possession, touch the ball in general play, the phase count restarts

• Keep the 40/20 kick but the attacking team feed a line-out instead of a scrum

• Use Rugby Union scoring. A missed drop goal going dead in goal comes back to a free-kick to the opposition where the ball was kicked from. No kick at goal or dropped goal from a free-kick.

• Only foul play and offside result in penalties, all other sanctioned infringements are free-kicks.

• No direct kick into touch from anywhere on the field unless its from a penalty.

Latest posts