Will Simpson

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leeds
Rucking, mauling and referee suggestions

I have a few ideas and here they are;
Having the referee that actually talks to you eg. "Release the ball, Forward Pass, Advantage to England".

Have a button (for example Square) so that when you get tackled you press X to bind your players and when the referee shouts release then you press Square to release the ball and keep possession. However if you don't bind quick enough or your forwards don't get their quick enough you can chose not to release and concede the penalty and risk cards. If you don't want to concede the penalty then you could release and if there's a close player you could roll/throw it to him if not then you could concede the turnover.

Also if you get pushed of the ball in the ruck or just concede a turnover from not binding into the ruck rather than it just perfectly rolling to the back of your opponents side, in a messy ruck the ball could just bobble out randomly.

I don't know how to explain this on so I will just give you and example.
Steve Thompson, Strength 89
Toby Flood, Strength 52
If you are running with the ball as Steve and running towards Toby just before contact if you press (for example O) you will stay on your feet and begin a driving maul because Steve's strength is better than Toby's. However if you were running with Toby at Steve and tried this you would get flattened

Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:
I would really like to see some sort of contest for the ball when a turnover is on; more than just pushing a single button or how far away your supporting players are.

Like your idea about a messy ruck with a random ball squirting out.

I would really like to see some sort of contest for the ball when a turnover is on; more than just pushing a single button or how far away your supporting players are.

Like your idea about a messy ruck with a random ball squirting out.

I think that if you had to do any more than contributing players with one button and releasing with another then it would restrict people trying to play a quick paced backs based game.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Oh sorry I only just understood what you were saying yeah for turnovers I agree, maybe have to direct your forward pack/forward through the ruck/drive over the top to get the ball onto your side.

Last edited:
i think, first of all, that the camera should be behind the team with the ball, and entering would be a process of directing your forwards into the ruck... and also, a point, it might not be often, but every once in a while, with good support, flood should be able to start a driving maul... of course, he might come out a bit bloodied up...

Also, sometimes you need to sacrifice realism to avoid cheapness... for example, if I was playing as NZ (which i wouldn't normally, but here's to prove a point) I could just toss it to McCaw, run at some random guy on their team, and start a driving maul... then take it out and do it again... i dont think that would be very competitive...

Latest posts