• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rucking System for 09

C

Cam1505

What if you could have a rucking system where you have to perform 2 actions as it is in real rugby.

Action 1

Wrestling for the ball on the ground

This will in actual fact be the first player to arrive at the ruck trying to wrestle the ball from his downed opponent. A accuracy meter would be ideal here, where you must press a correct combination of 3 keys say for instance left(4) right(6) or up(8) on the Number pad not to confuse with the directional buttons which will be varied everytime you join a new ruck.

Action 2

Cleaning out

After the first sequence of wrestling for the ball you must now send in your other players to clean out opposing players at the ruck. For this action a Speed Meter will be needed where you have Slow, Medium, Ideal and Fast you have to stop the meter in ideal to clean out perfectly if you do it to fast you will lose balance and the player will enter the ruck off his feet which will result in a penalty.

These two actions must happen in quick succession to adapt to the quick paced actio of rugby.

In my opinion I know that this might be a plea to a Deaf EA but I think if this system could be implemented it would be great for gameplay

A modification to the under-rated and outstanding rucking system from the original EA Rugby would be good IMO. Your system, while it would add to the game play side of the forwards play so much as giving something to do, does seem a little bit too much like a QTE system which historically always make a player feel removed from the action.

Hey I think that's a pretty good idea at least for some people who don't really play as much as most of us on here do they'll actually get the chance to maintain or steal the ball. I don't like the current system because if you don't know all the little bugs and stuff you don't have much chance like all the momentum could be going your way but as soon as you get into opposition 22m the cpu usually steals it or gets an slight advantage over you so it makes it hard to play sometimes.

How would you make it so as if you have say loosies coming into the ruck they get an advantage over say a halfback or 1st 5 trying to ruck. Make the button combinations less for a loosie or just more button combinations for a back?. I think it's quite an good idea.

Thanx for postive feedback!!!

Yes I think that it would be dependant on the player's rucking stat. Maybe if he has a super high rucking stat they get to repeat the buttons for instance "q,q,q" and for a player with an average rucking stat "q,q,e" and a player with a poor rucking stat "q,w,e"

Also what I forgot to mention in the first post is that if a player in the first action that is in possession of the ball performs the wrong combinations he will be penalized for holding on.

I think this could work but this has to happen extremely quickly, so you must have trained, agile fingers.

Why not have it so that the stats depend on how fast you need to press the buttons? Eg. RUCKING - 80 would be three relatively slow taps whereas one of 30 or 40 would need to be much quicker.

A ruck is a event that takes place in a matter of seconds so this will slow down the gameplay

Ah, but if you want to keep it tioight to wear down the clock, wouldn't that be a good thing?

This system sounds interesting. I would say make it a single button all the time. When the player is down on teh ground press "up" on the d-pad as many times as you can in a certain amount of time, say 2-3 seconds. The person to press it the most, combined with their stats would get the ball. Also different directions would do different things. For example "down" might freeze the ball, giving the offence a bit more time to react. etc.

Something similar to what they have now wouldn't be too bad, as long as there is some method to it. For instance if I have 3 forwards in the ruck before theyve got one, I shouldn't be turning the ball over.... thats how it seems to happen now though

A modification to the under-rated and outstanding rucking system from the original EA Rugby would be good IMO. Your system, while it would add to the game play side of the forwards play so much as giving something to do, does seem a little bit too much like a QTE system which historically always make a player feel removed from the action.
[/b]

I agree 100%

The system in the original game as the best by far. The animations and graphics look better in the later ones, but that is unfortunatly all!

Really, the rucking system is horrible. The players all stand around watching and doing nothing. Then someone dives straight over the ball in order to secure it. Not only unrealistic and stupid looking, but totally illegal too!!

They really need to make a new rucking system from the ground-up. It's been the same ridiculous system for ages.

What if you could have a rucking system where you have to perform 2 actions as it is in real rugby.

Action 1

Wrestling for the ball on the ground

This will in actual fact be the first player to arrive at the ruck trying to wrestle the ball from his downed opponent. A accuracy meter would be ideal here, where you must press a correct combination of 3 keys say for instance left(4) right(6) or up(8) on the Number pad not to confuse with the directional buttons which will be varied everytime you join a new ruck.

Action 2

Cleaning out

After the first sequence of wrestling for the ball you must now send in your other players to clean out opposing players at the ruck. For this action a Speed Meter will be needed where you have Slow, Medium, Ideal and Fast you have to stop the meter in ideal to clean out perfectly if you do it to fast you will lose balance and the player will enter the ruck off his feet which will result in a penalty.

These two actions must happen in quick succession to adapt to the quick paced actio of rugby.

In my opinion I know that this might be a plea to a Deaf EA but I think if this system could be implemented it would be great for gameplay
[/b]

I agree 100% that the game desperately needs a new rucking system. However, I don't think that your idea will work. It's simply too complicated.

I think the original rucking system was really good. The problem is that the graphics/animations looked like a scrum, not a ruck. But the actual system was quite good, fairly realistic, simple and fun.

I think a variation of the original system is best. So, basically use exactly the same system that appeared in the very first EA Rugby game, but with some "improvement" modifications:

1. <span style="color:#000000">The first player to arrive automaticly becomes a "ball theif" and tries to steal the ball (wrestle for the ball). The time that this takes is dependent on the player's attributes/skills (a highly skilled player will turn the ball over very quickly).

1a. A low-skilled player may fail completely (the animation could show him falling "off his feet" and thus out of play.

1b. If successful, one of two things can happen: i) if the opposition has bound players onto the ruck, the ball-theif twists around and presents the ball to his side of the ruck, making the ruck easier to win for his team; or ii) if there is no other player has joined to the ruck, the player can simply pick the ball up and run away.

2. While attempting a steal, a "ball theif" (point 1) can be "cleared out" of the ruck. Again, this happens automaticly depending on player attributes. If a player is "cleared out" the appropriate animation is shown. This results in the "clearing out player" knocking the ball theif back and out of the ruck.

3. If two players from opposing teams join a ruck at roughly the same time, they will bind onto each other and form a ruck. Neither play will become a "ball-theif" or "clean out". Instead a proper ruck is formed a la the original EA Sports Rugby.

4. The user-controlled player will immediately join the ruck either by binding, "ball-theiving" or "clearing out" if he runs into it. Control is then passed to the next closest player to the ruck.

5. In all other regards the rucks work like they did in the original EA Sports Rugby. The only differences being better animations & graphics so the ruck looks less structured and more realistic.

6. NO DIVING OVER THE BALL like what happens in all the recent EA Rugby games. I.e. possession is won by a player automaticly "diving over" the ball. This is totally illegal in rugby and would be penalised every time.

7. PLAYERS JOIN THE RUCK IMMEDIATELY. They don't stand around watching like what happens in all recent EA Rugby games. They go in the instant the player presses the "bind" button and either become a "theif", a "cleaner" or they bind to the ruck.
</span>

At the moment there is a "kill the ball" button. Why not use this to steal in the tackle? If you press it too much, or for too long you risk being penalised. Woiuld work, and not could be implemented into gameplay very easily.

For rucks i think simplicity is key. Pressing 3 buttons each ruck for a contest of the ball would be too refined, and irritating over a game's duration.

rugby 2001 ruck system + World championship rugby (zinzan rugby game) = decentness lol

Latest posts