• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rucking system

Liamtjie

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Hi guys, first post after being on the forum for quite a bit haha. I'm more of a reader :)
Just wanted to know if anyone has any insight into the rucking system? playing against the cpu I generally have all the possession, but
after playing my brother yesterday, I couldn't get the ball back. He was England and would dominate 10+ phases while being isolated easily, even if I buttom mashed x more rapidly than him
he would already have a green tick and I couldn't do anything to win it.
Is there any strategy to it I am missing? or was it just unlucky that he had possession dominance?
Thanks

Have you tried using the rucking tactics, if he goes really out wide for switch to Rucking tactic first player to ruck, you can do this on the fly,. If he goes up the middle keeping the ball tight, choose forwards rucking tactic, and if he goes a little wide use balanced. Every know and then when think you have and advantage in the ruck very quickly press the right analog button,(hands in Ruck function) you must do this quickly and before they get a check mark securing the ruck, do not hold or you may get penalized for killing the play. After you change the rucking tactics then, press rucking button quickly, but don't go over, you will get penalized. Try that, let me know how it goes. You can also change the defense to tight defense, spread, and kick, again same thing tight you will have better chance if they go up the middle, spread, better if they go out wide, if you pick both the correct defense and the correct rucking tactic you should have a better chance to turnover the ball. It will probably take you some time to get the timeing down, you normaly have to try and anticipate what the other players next move is going to be, keep the ball tight or swing out wide, or some where in the middle. Let me know if this helped.
Cheers and Salud

Hi guys, first post after being on the forum for quite a bit haha. I'm more of a reader :)
Just wanted to know if anyone has any insight into the rucking system? playing against the cpu I generally have all the possession, but
after playing my brother yesterday, I couldn't get the ball back. He was England and would dominate 10+ phases while being isolated easily, even if I buttom mashed x more rapidly than him
he would already have a green tick and I couldn't do anything to win it.
Is there any strategy to it I am missing? or was it just unlucky that he had possession dominance?
Thanks

Hey man good question. Post any other questions for "How to" in the tutorial page so that it is catogorized nice. I've flippen had the same problo. Against AI it is very easy. But against a Human haha it is difficult. Just don't mashed x too much then it will be a penalty against you. Which sucks.I must say the more I play this game, the more I like it

Have you tried using the rucking tactics, if he goes really out wide for switch to Rucking tactic first player to ruck, you can do this on the fly,. If he goes up the middle keeping the ball tight, choose forwards rucking tactic, and if he goes a little wide use balanced. Every know and then when think you have and advantage in the ruck very quickly press the right analog button,(hands in Ruck function) you must do this quickly and before they get a check mark securing the ruck, do not hold or you may get penalized for killing the play. After you change the rucking tactics then, press rucking button quickly, but don't go over, you will get penalized. Try that, let me know how it goes. You can also change the defense to tight defense, spread, and kick, again same thing tight you will have better chance if they go up the middle, spread, better if they go out wide, if you pick both the correct defense and the correct rucking tactic you should have a better chance to turnover the ball. It will probably take you some time to get the timeing down, you normaly have to try and anticipate what the other players next move is going to be, keep the ball tight or swing out wide, or some where in the middle. Let me know if this helped.
Cheers and Salud

Thanks for the explanation for this. Copied this into Tutorial Page,giving you credit obviously.

im already getting sick of tapping A so much

Did you read the above post? Not having a go at you:), just explaining, In real rugby you don't go for a turnover every time, you don't have to over commit yourself to the ruck offensively every time to retain possession and the same applies to the rucking in RWC 2011 game. You have to analyze what is going on around you, and when you see the oppurtunity you seize it, and yes you have to button mash a little not to much or you will get penalized. Example: your opponent spin the ball out wide, away from your forwards, quickly switch your rucking tactic to "closest to ruck" and then go in for the turnover, by using high intensity on the rucking button. But you don't do this every time, that is why it sort of like a chess match. Tapping rapidly on the rucking button is really the only way to translate the intensity that is needed to make a turnover, or retain the ball if you go out wide, away from your forward support. Again, even 08 functioned like this(although lots of people did not play it this way), but 08 had a different system all together, in o8 you where not penalized by the ref for button mashing(you are in 2011), but you where penalized in 08 in the sense that by committing too many players to the ruck on defense would = (not having enough players to defend the line) or on offense= (not enough players for ruck support the next phase, or just not enough options at the ruck to drive players up the middle). I believe HB put this sytem in place to try and teach people how to react to the rucks properly and not just button mash every phase. There really should be a must play tutorial on rucking, to teach people that it is not always a button mashing contest, then people can really enjoy the variety and strategy that is involved in rugby.
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:

Latest posts