that AI try really is sensational

nice offload at the end

great cut-out ball

and alot of replays for our liking

cheers locks :bravo:

Originally posted by mikeeboy+Feb 7 2006, 11:05 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-raziel_eire
@Feb 7 2006, 08:52 AM
I presume thats Shane Williams as the 2nd Wales star player?

... can't believe they left Gareth Thomas out... I reckon he has more star/impact quality then either of the 2 choices

Well based on Saturday's evidence, Gareth Thomas wouldn't be a star man with Ponty thirds. Looked in a world of his own. [/b]
u little *****

Originally posted by DC13@Feb 7 2006, 12:14 PM
is that from the demo or do you actually have a copy of the game on you?
;) Independent retailers..... don't you just love em? :bravo:

After scrutinising all of these videos, I think it looks exactly like 2005 with moves that now work, and some pretty cool offloads. One thing I looked carefully at was the defensive positioning of the ai players, and they were all over the place, some running up some staying put, leaving holes everywhere, there seems to be no attempts whatsoever to mark up. In one case instead of coming in to make a tackle when the line is broken the winger just runs off oward the sideline! The ai try was pretty cool to look at, but wtf!? all of the welshmen are just loitering around the ruck, and then when the ai spin it wide they have a 6 on 2 situation, I find this worrying considering ther was more than enough players to cover the gap, but they just stood therewith fingers up asses. Good effort though locks, defendng 6 on 2 aint easy, you did what you could! Thanks for the footage, it will keep my ai expectations low. It looked a little worse than 2005 IMO(the ai that is)

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 7 2006, 11:20 PM
After scrutinising all of these videos, I think it looks exactly like 2005 with moves that now work, and some pretty cool offloads. One thing I looked carefully at was the defensive positioning of the ai players, and they were all over the place, some running up some staying put, leaving holes everywhere, there seems to be no attempts whatsoever to mark up. In one case instead of coming in to make a tackle when the line is broken the winger just runs off oward the sideline! The ai try was pretty cool to look at, but wtf!? all of the welshmen are just loitering around the ruck, and then when the ai spin it wide they have a 6 on 2 situation, I find this worrying considering ther was more than enough players to cover the gap, but they just stood therewith fingers up asses. Good effort though locks, defendng 6 on 2 aint easy, you did what you could! Thanks for the footage, it will keep my ai expectations low. It looked a little worse than 2005 IMO(the ai that is)
I wouldn't panic - remember this was only on normal difficulty. I'm sure on expert the defense will be a lot better. Also Locks has told us that the Ai is much improved from rugby 2005, which was also confirmed on the Operation Sports interview, which said you have to be much more clever to get round the defence.

What I would like to know locks or knowsley is what expert difficulty is like!

Considering that the 2005 expert was difficulty not much of a challenge, and some of the ai in those vids is downright dodgy, I am going to remain sceptical.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 7 2006, 11:34 PM
Considering that the 2005 expert was difficulty not much of a challenge, and some of the ai in those vids is downright dodgy, I am going to remain sceptical.
Locks you have been great to us with regards to footage but any chance of a a vid of you playing on expert difficulty? Love to see what the AI is like on defence!

thnx :p

A little worrying. AI, despite being extremely difficult to get right, is one of the most important things to get right in a sports game. Get it wrong, and gorgeous graphics or slick controls count for nothing.

But for me, it should never change whether you are playing a top down 2d game with blobs as players or the latest high res 3d game. You still need 29 players at a time continuously moving around the field in an intelligent manner.

So what I don't understand is how this could ever take a step backwards. An AI algorithm that worked 10 years ago would still work now, extra processing power allowing for improvement only.

I mean, they must have seen, for example, from a fairly early development stage, the hordes of players chasing the ball carrier. There must have been someone at HB studios saying "That doesn't look right, we need to look at our AI routines"

AI routines that they would still have from Rugby 2005. I would really like to be involved in a development cycle for a game like this.

I also noticed that there are free overlaps. On the long vid, locks hits it up a couple of times, then spins it wide and voila! a magic overlap. You should not be able to create overlaps from nothing. You should hav to break the line with a star player or a well timed run, get the defence running backwards and then use quick ball to exploit the holes created, otherwise its just too easy.

i find that play.com are pretty darn good these days never always that way though, the only gripe i would have is that rugby challenge 2006 is £17.99 and rugby 06 is £26.99 :wall: never understood EA's mindset they never discount games until they have been out for a year or more ive seen rugby 2005 on sale for over £20 in some places!

still looking forward to friday though :lol2tn:

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 7 2006, 11:44 PM
I also noticed that there are free overlaps. On the long vid, locks hits it up a couple of times, then spins it wide and voila! a magic overlap. You should not be able to create overlaps from nothing. You should hav to break the line with a star player or a well timed run, get the defence running backwards and then use quick ball to exploit the holes created, otherwise its just too easy.
If you draw men into the ruck by hitting it up, overlaps often do form out wide because you have sucked men in. Thats one of the reasons for doing it. However I agree there still looks like too many gaps out wide like Rugby 2005. I think a nice little vid from locks playing on hard level might answer few Q's!

I f you suck forwards into the rucks and backs are forced to come i n and cover yes ther will be an overlap, but not every time and, this only works after multiple hit ups, getting the defence consantly on the back foot.

Just read the interview with the dev in the other htread, and he says theyve improved the ai alot. Hooe hes not lying.

Latest posts