Rugby 16: What are we to expect ?

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Yes, I know it hasn't been announced that Rugby 16, this topic about what if it does get announced.

Rugby 15 was said by the producers that its a game to build a basic game play structure for future games. I haven't played rugby 15 yet and to be honest I don't plan to near future but I think I heard enough about to make an opinion about it. Rugby 15 we said was a disaster the graphics are poor, you can't play online, there is only one stadium in the entire game, they got confused with Mako and Billy Vunipola, no international team's licensed nor are any Southern Hemisphere teams. But the animations off the players do look pretty good its just the graphics letting it down.

So what are we expecting in Rugby 16 ? (if it ever comes out) well in one off TheScottishCannon's interviews one off the guys said that they are considering a rugby ultimate team for it depending on the sales off rugby 15. Well lets be honest they are not going to make ultimate team after rugby 15 but maybe after this game if it comes out. Hopefully they take they're time and actually produce a finished product of a good rugby game. Online is a must have if there is any chance off people buying. Southern Hemisphere teams hopefully will be added (most likely the Super 15 and possibly the ITM Cup) to the next game if there will be one. The crowd better be fully detailed and not blurred especially if its suppose to be a 'next gen' game. Last but not least there better be cut scenes with highlights we want to see highlights off our really good solo tries.

So what do I think would make a good rugby game ? First off all a good majority off Licensed teams with international tournaments with club tournaments. An online mode. A career mode. graphics like Rugby challenge 2 or better. Keep the gameplay the same as Rugby 15 but remove the bugs. A create a player option. An accurate player stats and I really thing HB Studios and Bigben are very capable off adding this into Rugby 16 if there ever going to be one.

So I have a few questions for you.
1). What would you like to see in a rugby game ?
2). What would you expect from Rugby 16 ? (If they are ever going to work from it)
3). Do you think the producers of Rugby 15 will have learned anything from many reports ?
4). What do you want from Rugby 16 ? (If they are going to work on it)

I expect: It not to be made.
The last two games have been met with (rightly) terrible reviews, with 15 being a particularly bad **** stain upon sports gaming.

Think it'll be a good few years before we see another "Rugby XX" ***le, if at all. Just have to hope that there's a new Rugby Challenge (or new series) in the works in the near future.

Just have to hope that there's a new Rugby Challenge (or new series) in the works in the near future.
With the way the licensing has been for the games that have been released this year, I'm pretty sure there's some other game coming out next year. From what we've seen all the games have had licensing for the Aviva, Pro 12, Top 14, and at least one with the Pro D2, which means these competitions have likely gone with having non-exclusive licensing (e.g anyone can have it, if they pay a set price). But, as far as I'm aware, none of them have had international teams or Super Rugby licensing, which probably means that someone else has secured exclusive rights to these licenses.

Mario from Sidhe hinted that someone else may be making the third Rugby Challenge game, so it may be that they have those licenses wrapped up. I suppose we'll find out in the next 6 months or so.

To be frank, I'm with Olyy and honestly just cannot see how HB will recoup the development money they've put into this game given it's quality and so find it hard to imagine them making another one.

It's a shame, because Rugby 08 was actually a very fun game, and you'd have thought it could have provided the building blocks for a very strong franchise. But sadly it didn't do well enough and the EA funding dropped off, leaving HB to do it all themselves for the World Cup ***le - something that ultimately showed they just didn't have the resources to go it alone. It's a shame, but I can't help but think HB are done as rugby game developers and we're just going to have to wait until some other company decides to give it a shot. Although by that point I fear that my already dwindling interest in video games will have vanished completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Mario from Sidhe hinted that someone else may be making the third Rugby Challenge game, so it may be that they have those licenses wrapped up. I suppose we'll find out in the next 6 months or so.

Interesting... Perhaps it's BigAnt? They managed to take the Rugby League job off them, so it's not a bit jump to assume they'd take union - plenty of programming and graphics they could recycle.

I would love a new rugby challenge game, I actually will be interviewing Big Ant Studios soon and I will be questioning them about if they will ever consider developing a union game, so it should be interesting

Interesting... Perhaps it's BigAnt? They managed to take the Rugby League job off them, so it's not a bit jump to assume they'd take union - plenty of programming and graphics they could recycle.
Definitely like to see them have a crack. Another developer that was hinted as producing the game was Wicked Witch, who make made AFL Live 2, so I guess there's some stuff they could recycle in from that game as well.

One things for sure. Someone will be releasing a game for the world cup regardless to cash in.

Possibly, but RWC2011 was hardly a money spinner.

Being in England does open it up to a larger casual market than NZ, what with all the advertising we'll get throughout 2015 for the RWC, but I don't know whether any companies will take the risk/put the time in to make one - only Sidhe and HB Studios really have a union engine all ready, and I don't think either of those will. Big Ant could modify their RL, but I imagine that's far easier said than done.
It'd be a big undertaking for a new studio, especially with licensing to sort out, for potentially little-to-no game.

Definitely like to see them have a crack. Another developer that was hinted as producing the game was Wicked Witch, who make made AFL Live 2, so I guess there's some stuff they could recycle in from that game as well.

I actually didn't realise AFL Live 2 was made by another dev. Interesting. But that said you'd think logically if you were to give RC to either them of BigAnt, you'd be better off going with BigAnt given there's way more crossover with League than with AFL

I'd be very surprised if HB make another Rugby game after the complete catastrophe of Rugby 15.

I actually didn't realise AFL Live 2 was made by another dev. Interesting. But that said you'd think logically if you were to give RC to either them of BigAnt, you'd be better off going with BigAnt given there's way more crossover with League than with AFL
The thing is though that Big Ant already are releasing RLL3, a new Don Bradman Cricket game, and a LaCrosse game next year alone, so I guess it depends if they've got the resources to actually make a rugby game between making all these other ***les.

As far as I'm aware Wicked Witch have no major releases annouced for 2015, plus according to Wikipedia they have upped their staff numbers recently, so they might have the capacity to actually pull it off.

Maybe revamp rugby 08 with HD graphics and add a rucking/breakdown system that's all. I think majority of us just want a rugby game like that.

Latest posts