• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 18

Was actually pretty excited for this, but don't think I'll bother now... just looks very frustrating. I had my issues with Rugby League Live 4, but I still found it plenty enjoyable and at the very least they delivered a full bloody product.

Some initial thoughts after only half hour of play -

• So this game is incredibly frustrating to play

• Lacks national teams (not even unlicensed versions of teams outside 6 nations & the "big 3")

• I like the rucking system - B/O to add player whilst the right stick acts as a bind boost - although sometimes the game doesn't register a button press to bind ha!

• No depth in the attacking line makes it almost unplayable in attack - the receiver is tackled as soon as they receive the ball in most instances. kicking provides the only realistic option to get over the gain-line (rather like the real thing then ).

• Still not 100% sure how the right stick works in attack. So far shifting left/right is a side-step (when it registers) whilst holding left or right is a fend (not been succesful yet.

• Right stick in defense is also a nice touch, when it registers

• Not sure how "team momentum" works in game (if at all) but it suggests it plays a part in the game description.

• Overall game speed is "simulation" style whilst the sprint speed and stamina are a serious issue - no real difference between players/jogging & you only get about 3 seconds worth of sprint.

• I hope some issues can get resolved via some game patches although I understand patches cost time and money

• day one" patch is imminent on consoles but many claim this still leaves the game with the same issues = pretty unplayable for todays standards

•Default camera angle provides reasonable in game graphics.

• Some animations are nice but transitions can't be jerky.

The game's Facebook feed is currently on fire with people (*cough kids) expecting Fifa/madden levels of presentation/quality, without understanding the differences in budgets, dev team numbers etc and how that affects an overall game - almost provides more entertainment than playing the tutorial

You don't expect such a flawed product on release, but I do feel there's little glimmers of potential to be a decent gaming experience.

However I currently feel a little conned/disappointed

This is a perfect summing up of my thoughts and experiences, potential but so many basics wrong - who tests this stuff , not rugby fans by the looks of things .... 2nd row taking conversions/ restarts maybe in the 1950s

Some initial thoughts after only half hour of play -

• So this game is incredibly frustrating to play

• Lacks national teams (not even unlicensed versions of teams outside 6 nations & the "big 3")

• I like the rucking system - B/O to add player whilst the right stick acts as a bind boost - although sometimes the game doesn't register a button press to bind ha!

• No depth in the attacking line makes it almost unplayable in attack - the receiver is tackled as soon as they receive the ball in most instances. kicking provides the only realistic option to get over the gain-line (rather like the real thing then ).

• Still not 100% sure how the right stick works in attack. So far shifting left/right is a side-step (when it registers) whilst holding left or right is a fend (not been succesful yet.

• Right stick in defense is also a nice touch, when it registers

• Not sure how "team momentum" works in game (if at all) but it suggests it plays a part in the game description.

• Overall game speed is "simulation" style whilst the sprint speed and stamina are a serious issue - no real difference between players/jogging & you only get about 3 seconds worth of sprint.

• I hope some issues can get resolved via some game patches although I understand patches cost time and money

• day one" patch is imminent on consoles but many claim this still leaves the game with the same issues = pretty unplayable for todays standards

•Default camera angle provides reasonable in game graphics.

• Some animations are nice but transitions can't be jerky.

The game's Facebook feed is currently on fire with people (*cough kids) expecting Fifa/madden levels of presentation/quality, without understanding the differences in budgets, dev team numbers etc and how that affects an overall game - almost provides more entertainment than playing the tutorial

You don't expect such a flawed product on release, but I do feel there's little glimmers of potential to be a decent gaming experience.

However I currently feel a little conned/disappointed

This is a perfect summing up of my thoughts and experiences, potential but so many basics wrong - who tests this stuff , not rugby fans by the looks of things .... 2nd row taking conversions/ restarts maybe in the 1950s

Quick update after watching some other have "success" in playing the game.

So I deleted my game data & started again to see if I'd missed anything in the tutorial -managed to crash the game after scoring a try

The game froze, made some horrible sounds and restarted, losing all progress ha!

What I will say is that "Hot potato" passing is very unforgiving (rightfully so too) and going wide has to be "earned" from my experience (to plagarise a quote said way too often by JD on Bbc wales ).

Quick tip - I've noticed that the attacking line does re-adjust to give a small amount of depth, if you just wait a little before playing the ball from rucks. Its not by much, but I believe a lot of my "depth" frustration has initially come from attempting to move the ball too early.

Still frustrating that the cpu seems to have an unlimited sprint stamina but I'm sure I read that stamina issues are being addressed in the first patch.

Unfortunetely, the commentary is horrible. Transitions between lines (in play) are very jerky (think 00's sports games ).

I will say there's more to this game than the horribly simplistic/clunky tutorial match suggests. Also the "controls" section is horrible - whilst I'm not exacty an expert using the "Queens English", the terminology used is horribly misleading - seems that LT/L2 = "Hit" = "forward fend" or "truck" if you play madden.

I do however believe there's a decent game in there... (i think)

Last edited:
Quick update after watching some other have "success" in playing the game.

So I deleted my game data & started again to see if I'd missed anything in the tutorial -managed to crash the game after scoring a try

The game froze, made some horrible sounds and restarted, losing all progress ha!

What I will say is that "Hot potato" passing is very unforgiving (rightfully so too) and going wide has to be "earned" from my experience (to plagarise a quote said way too often by JD on Bbc wales ).

Quick tip - I've noticed that the attacking line does re-adjust to give a small amount of depth, if you just wait a little before playing the ball from rucks. Its not by much, but I believe a lot of my "depth" frustration has initially come from attempting to move the ball too early.

Still frustrating that the cpu seems to have an unlimited sprint stamina but I'm sure I read that stamina issues are being addressed in the first patch.

Unfortunetely, the commentary is horrible. Transitions between lines (in play) are very jerky (think 00's sports games ).

I will say there's more to this game than the horribly simplistic/clunky tutorial match suggests. Also the "controls" section is horrible - whilst I'm not exacty an expert using the "Queens English", the terminology used is horribly misleading - seems that LT/L2 = "Hit" = "forward fend" or "truck" if you play madden.

I do however believe there's a decent game in there... (i think)

I'll give the above a go when I next play later in the week, I like the concept of hitting up with forwards before going wide , I'll report back with progress... also tutorial/ controls info is poor as some actions in tutorial match are not referenced in options menu ... but agree there is potential here

So I tried TVH11 tatics and they do work , but there is a lot still to be developed in the game , it's very messy , cue the Benny Hill music , madcap running around , lots of intercepts , just general basic game detail mistakes but it could be a decent game with patching...

So I tried TVH11 tatics and they do work , but there is a lot still to be developed in the game , it's very messy , cue the Benny Hill music , madcap running around , lots of intercepts , just general basic game detail mistakes but it could be a decent game with patching...

Like the scrum being fed on tight head side lol

I'm about to give this game a red hot crack. wish me luck.

Nevermind, I played 3 matches and refunded it on steam.... This is one of the worst Rugby games I have played. Don't get me wrong a marked improvement from Rugby World Cup and Rugby 15 but still nowhere near where it should be. Passing mechanic is one of the worst I've seen.

It's not good , passing is very hit and miss , lots of interceptions , I had Dan Cole chase down one of my wingers on clean break yesterday! Very realistic! There is a patch coming , devs have stated on FB page , I'll hoping they'll continue to improve it , however the basic mistakes made in day one version make you wonder if any of dev team have actually watched / followed rugby before

It's not good , passing is very hit and miss , lots of interceptions , I had Dan Cole chase down one of my wingers on clean break yesterday! Very realistic! There is a patch coming , devs have stated on FB page , I'll hoping they'll continue to improve it , however the basic mistakes made in day one version make you wonder if any of dev team have actually watched / followed rugby before
They have... they're just big Dan Cole fans.

As weird as it may appear, after a patch the game is now decent, due to a much more accurate players position and a better balance in rucks. The side camera has been included too. Still not crazy, but quite fun.

Completely agree, was really surprised
As weird as it may appear, after a patch the game is now decent, due to a much more accurate players position and a better balance in rucks. The side camera has been included too. Still not crazy, but quite fun.

Those that have played it with the patch: Is it worth getting now?
Does it weigh up to Rugby Challenge 3 or not?

Cheers!

Yes with the 1.1 patch the game is better. One or two more patches and it will be better than RC3 :D

I've had a few days with it now, not the worst game but can make improvements. One thing that really annoys me is when you play in league mode you can't change the teams strips in setup so e.g. Munster v Scarlets both play in red!!

I have now tried it and it was´nt that bad tbh. What I miss is to be able to play 7s and create teams and players

Latest posts