• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2006 still not right -Lomu is still the king

F

funksoulbrother

I’ve only had the game 1 day - its ok - maybe i need more time on it. there are lots of good things but it just feels to slow and unresponsive.

Its basically rugby 2005 but a bit more responsive -with quick line outs and quick penalties (which are pointless because your player takes 5 years to tap the ball by which time he has been talked)

unlike rugby 2005 you don't have to wait so long for animations to end - but its still not fast enough - not a true reflection of rugby

rucks are still too slow and you have little control over them (unlike in Lomu). you cant simple ruck over and fire the ball out quick enough (unlike Lomu)

Passing still too slow and now and again the player goes to pass a simple pass but the ball drops onto the floor (stupid)

I feel you just don't have enough control of the players ( in lomu you have complete control - you do not have to fight against the animations)

Its an OK game - maybe I need more time - but on 2 player Lomu is still the most fun and real rugby game as you can have complete control)

By the way I've been playing Lomu a lot over the past few months so I feel I know what im talking about. Rugby 06 has a lot of gloss and graphics and lots of tournaments and stuff (it even has steam on the pitch) but its still not as responsive as lomu - in lomu you have complete control of what you do.

PS why is there not an option for the scrum half to pick up the ball from a scrum (only the number 8 can)

Maybe lock likes it so much because he is a League fan

Anyway - im off to watch the 6 nations now - i have a feeling Italy may spring a suprise against England today.

I'm not sure, I mean, Lomu is great fun and everything, but in terms of realism I think this comes far closer to the mark. Sure there are bugs, every game has them, but I think this does so many little things right that you have not mentioned... maybe you will notice them with time. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but mine is that this is a far more realistic representation of the sport with a great deal of depth.

2006 is streaks ahead of 2005. I absolutely love it, and I honestly think it's the best rugby game available.

Just out of interest what view you guys playing on as from what i have seen on the Vids I think it makes a difference this time. Could be wrong as I still don`t have the game :cryy:

Originally posted by TheBokke@Feb 11 2006, 02:17 PM
Just out of interest what view you guys playing on as from what i have seen on the Vids I think it makes a difference this time. Could be wrong as I still don`t have the game :cryy:
Haven't voted in the other thread yet, but side view... just makes it more realistic in my opinion! I have no trouble spotting gaps, and think end cameras do spoil it a bit... just my opinion though!

The biggest problem is you still dont have complete control - you still have to work against the animations!!!

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Feb 11 2006, 06:17 PM
The biggest problem is you still dont have complete control - you still have to work against the animations!!!
I don't think it's that much of an issue here though - it's all a lot more responsive than last year, and you can pass pretty much up until the last second - if you can pass too close to contact then it becomes unrealistic as you need thinking time even when playing real rugby. I think the offload system does a good job of allowing you to release the ball when it wouldn't be tied up in real life, and I think the pace of the game is just about perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love JLR, but it isn't perfect and I think it has been bettered here in terms of realism and for me that makes it more fun.

Originally posted by toup+Feb 12 2006, 07:42 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-funksoulbrother
@Feb 11 2006, 06:17 PM
I don't think it's that much of an issue here though - it's all a lot more responsive than last year, and you can pass pretty much up until the last second - if you can pass too close to contact then it becomes unrealistic as you need thinking time even when playing real rugby. I think the offload system does a good job of allowing you to release the ball when it wouldn't be tied up in real life, and I think the pace of the game is just about perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love JLR, but it isn't perfect and I think it has been bettered here in terms of realism and for me that makes it more fun. [/b]
Gee I hope you are right toup :rolleyes:

Still waiting here in NZ :unsure:

I'm not saying it's perfect, and still reckon it's close with RC2006 (although they offer VERY different things), but for me Lomu has been bettered. I think we are sometimes too quick to criticize new games, but nostalgia can be a dangerous thing. I think there is a lot of depth to Rugby 06 and would be interested to see what we're all saying about it after we've had it longer. I have been hooked since I got it though...

Latest posts