• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 - Classic Match Suggestions

The Cam

Academy Player
Classic matches are only as good as its authenticism.

Imagine the 1995 World Cup final with Authentic jerseys, players, faces etc
You would be able to chose the South Africa 95 or NZ 95 squad to play in friendlies when you complete the classic match.
It would be amazing to play with great players like Joel Stransky, Jonah Lomu etc

A wide array of matches could then be played for example Scotland vs England 1990 in the Grand Slam decider, also with authentic faces, jerseys etc. Imagine playing with Scotland 90 or England 90.

But I think a must is the authentic faces and jerseys to relive those great moments. HB-studios will then cater for a wider target market as well.

It can't be that difficult to implement this idea.

A few matches that could be considered are

South Africa vs New Zealand 1995 Ellis Park

South Africa: Andre Joubert; Chester Williams, Japie Mulder, Hennie le Roux, James Small; Joel Stransky, Joost van der Westhuizen; Os du Randt, Chris Rossouw, Balie Swart; Hannes Strydom, Kobus Wiese; Ruben Kruger, Francois Pienaar, Mark Andrews

New Zealand: Glen Osborne; Jeff Wilson, Walter Little, Frank Bunce, Jonah Lomu; Andrew Mehrtens, Graeme Bachop; Olo Brown, Sean Fitzpatrick, Craig Dowd; Robin Brooke, Ian Jones; Mike Brewer, Josh Kronfeld, Zinzan Brooke

Scotland vs England 1990 Murrayfield

Scotland: G Hastings, T Stanger, S Hastings, S Lineen, I Tukalo, C Chalmers, G Armstrong, D Sole (c), K Milne, A Burnell, C Gray, D Cronin, J Jeffrey, F Calder, D White

England: S Hodgkinson, S Halliday,W Carling (c) ,J Guscott, R Underwood, R Andrew, R Hill , P Rendall, B Moore, J Probyn, W Dooley, P Ackford, M Skinner, P Winterbottom, M Teague

Faces for these players could be obtained from sporting heroes.net

As I said this would be a great addition if it were to be implemented. These are only a few examples.

Yeah real classic matches with the real players from that time would be awesome.

Think they had a go at it with the "Challenge Mode" in Rugby 08, there are the classic matches from previous RWC games but it didn't have the classic players, with their faces and correct kits.

Would be a great addition to the game if they can pull it off correctly!

Goes back to license issues with players. Could well do it, but not have the real players names.

Yeah guess licensing is everything in a sport game, hopefully HB will have more success with it in Rugby 2012 then EA had with the previous rugby games.

I started making my Legends patch based on this idea of the challenge mode, but there is not way to add kits to specific teams for it. In my mind, the challenge mode is worth keeping, but you must have kits set-up for specific teams. So you'd have a kitfile for any team from England to Samoa, then you culd just find that file, add the kit. The roster could be made like the rdf is now, so it has just retired/retro players.

I bet it would be a nightmare to license but I really like the idea.

The licenses for any of the game will be tough. Though, i'm sure Rugby Challenge had Top14 and Magners League, that's all we need and those deals must surely have run their course?

Well is a year enouqh for that? Hope they can pull it off... Would be fantastic! I would like to play with those retro teams vs current squads.

Haha, I always enjoyed playing classic scenarios. Would love to have Saints vs Biarritz @ San Sebastian in 2007 when Saints won with a bit of a motley crew (mostly the pack) and then got relegated a month later.

Would be great to play that Barbarian vs NZ game where Gareth Edwards scored that famous try.....

My solution is simple. Use current players, but make classic teams editable. So you can change their faces and names. Licensing is an awkward thing otherwise.

Out of curiousity, would licencing retired players be difficult. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to ask permission from the rugby players as personally I'd be flattered if someone wanted to include me in a game due to being involved in classic matches etc. That being said, I don't have a clue about the legal issues and I'm sure if it were that simple HB wouldn't have such a hard time. That being said as I've constantly said, to play using players such as Lomu, Umaga, Wilson, Cullen and Mehrtens is just if not more important then playing with more up to date players, as my best rugby memories consist of those players as I'm sure England feels about their 2003 squad, which is one reason I like Rugby 08 as it allows me to play with many of my rugby hero's against many of the newer players.

Are you sure it wouldn't be possible in terms of kits, to just add another option in the select a team so a second or third kit could be chosen. So for example

New Zealand
Rating: 95
Kit: 1995
Home or Away: Home

Last edited:
This years' Wales Vs Scotland. You only get the last 10 minutes to score 3 tries.

The soccer game World Cup 98 had a classic matches mode which had all the authentic player names, but get around the kits issue by changing the picture quality: So for example the 1966 final was in black and white while 1970 was all in Sepia tone. Luckily the easy thing with classic rugby shirts is they all look the same and dropping the sponsor logos means they could pretty much be made by anyone.

This would be a nice addition, if it were to come to fruition I would like to see inclusion of all the previous HEC finals, S14 finals, Barbarians classics, Club v Country classics & Inter-hemisphere games alongside the WC finals.

Totally Agree, I think if they decide to add this, it would bring another dimension of depth to the game. But the main thing here is authenticity, they need the real thing otherwise it just won't be the same. Imagine crossing the whitewash with a randomly computer created player, and then imagine doing it with the legends like, Jonah Lomu, Gareth Edwards, JPR, Gavin Hastings, Michael Lynagh etc just to mention a few. This, in my view will be extreme, and everyone will have that old favourite you'll love to play.

i think they should have a classic league with 10 teams at least,here is my list;

1.england 2003
2.ireland 2009
3.barbarians 1973
4.france 1987
5.leiscester tigers 2002
6.munster current
7.south africa 2007
8.new zealand 1995
9.australia 2003
10.the lions 1997 no team that toured south africa pre apartield should be included

plus classic balls should also be included gilbert match,adidas wallaby,webb elis ecr,mitre grand slam and puma

i think they should have a classic league with 10 teams at least,here is my list;

1.england 2003
2.ireland 2009
3.barbarians 1973
4.france 1987
5.leiscester tigers 2002
6.munster current
7.south africa 2007
8.new zealand 1995
9.australia 2003
10.the lions 1997 no team that toured south africa pre apartield should be included

plus classic balls should also be included gilbert match,adidas wallaby,webb elis ecr,mitre grand slam and puma

Dont you think it a but odd that you have all these famous international teams and then you've just thrown in the tigers and munster? doesnt really make sense to be honest..

I think it would be cool to run polls to select the 15 greatest players from each country, and then run a "best of all time" competition. By default the teams participating would just be "number 15" and "number 1" ect..
But they would have the same build and body type as the all time team. The players faces from the all time team would conveniently be located in the player editor and their names already recorded by the commentator.

I would expect the All-time All Blacks to looks something like;

15)Don Clark/Christian Cullen/George Nepia
14)John Kirwan
13)Frank Bunce
12)Tana Umaga
11)Jonah Lomu
10)Dan Carter
9)Sid Going/Dave Loveridge
8)Zinzan Brooke
7)Micheal Jones
6)Richie McCaw
5)Colin Meads