Rugby 2012 - Online Game-Play Suggestions Thread

TRF C A Iversen

Rugby Gaming Nut
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
It has been put to me in a few emails from various forum members that we need to have an online game-play thread, so that members can discuss suggestion for how HB may possibly implement their online systems, should the game (it seems highly likely that it will) have an online component.

I think it's probably about time to throw those suggestions out there as HB are no doubt further into their development now and this is something I'm sure they'd like to know the fans views on.

I'd like this thread to primarily focus on these questions:

How would HB potentially deal with quitters?
What sort of ranking system works best and defeats the disconnects?
What sort of server of player to player system might be used for the gameplay itself?
How is changing squads/players going to go? Allowable online or not?
Stat edited players being allowed online, or name-changed players only (should editing be available)?

Also, I'd like it suggest that people try and come up with their own brilliant ideas to suggest, such as:

How would you personally design/set-up the system to avoid problems such as lag, disconnecting and quitters?

I really don't want this thread to descend into:

I'm going to destroy Otago with the Crusaders / Saracens with North-hampton / Castres with Osprey's or whatever. It's all fairly irrelevant right now.

Quitters is hard, I like how NHL 11 deals with it in their ultimate team mde, when you quit it affects how many points you earn, even in offline mode. I think its pretty safe to assume that a game mode like this wont even be near the rugby game. I think one thing the game needs is a concede match, we all get a game online where we are getting absolutely smashed and there is really no point continuing the game on, so instead of just quitting itd be just be much nicer to beable to concede the match to the better player. But that can also affect the stats, depending on what is kept overall, if its just win/loss I think that would be the best way.

Disconnects are a pain, but dont seem to happen that often, Its hard to say, because you never know if the player has just turned their console off or they have geniunly just dropped out. The later I would just say make it a no game, while the second should count as quit, but how can you tell?

As regards to a ranking system I think it has to be more than just win loss, I think it has to be more like a chess ranking system, make it take into account the rank of your opponent and the rank of yourself, the rating of the team your using and the rating of the team you are playing against, what the result is, win/loss/draw, points scored. Then give a point amount for the result which affects your overall points on the ranking system. It would be complex but would end up with a fair ranking system I think.

Honestly I actually like being able to choose my opponent, so maybe a list of avaliable players to play against? and have the option for an automatic match maker as well.

Changing squads should be allowed online, using the saquads for club sides, and being able to pick whoever you like for the national sides. I think you should beable to set up your squads and tactics etc and save them so you can just jump in and play, or beable to fiddle with the squad youve chosen when youve joined a game, but with a time limit of course.

Edited players shouldn't be allowed online, everyone should be on an even playing field. Though in saying that I wouldnt mind being able to use a created team online, to make it fair you could have a salary cap?

Editing should be avaliable, but not used online.

I'd like to see online tournaments, leagues both public and private. might be a big ask, but knowing the rugby game community it will be a small and vibrant gaming community for a long time if the game is great.

Changing squads should be allowed online, using the squads for club sides, and being able to pick whoever you like for the national sides. I think you should be able to set up your squads and tactics etc and save them so you can just jump in and play, or beable to fiddle with the squad youve chosen when youve joined a game, but with a time limit of course.

Edited players shouldn't be allowed online, everyone should be on an even playing field. Though in saying that I wouldnt mind being able to use a created team online, to make it fair you could have a salary cap?

Editing should be available, but not used online.

My suggestion was from above was that if you could just edit a players name or face etc, then they could go online. Changing players statistical abilities, or moving players from squad to squad, would make a team ineligible for online play.

How could they easily achieve that?

Simply have in the customisation screen for a player, these options. Edit Name, Edit Face/Body, Edit Abilities. Edit Squad, or moving players from squad to squad would be under team editing options.

The game would know what the default ability stats are for players to be able to go online, so if you altered their abilities or moved them to another squad, then you would not be able use that team online. If however the only altered thing in that squad was names and face/bodies, then that team or saved set of squads could go online.

That wouldn't be the most technical thing in the world to achieve and I know for sure that no-one is interested in playing as an online team with a large number of made-up names.

The only problem with that is whether the legal issues make it impossible for custom named squads to go online, due to the potential for abuse. I feel some developers play it safe in this regard and that's why they take the ability to edit away from us.

At the end of the day HB should really be working with the IRB to let them know how important a promotional tool this is for the game worldwide and that they need to send a directive to teams both international and club stating that players likenesses and names will not be used unless licensed, but there is the possibility of individual fans customising them in a team for online use.

I really think that all of world rugby's teams and major associations need to realise that this is not a cash-cow for them to milk and never will be unless they allow developers like HB Studios free license for up to 10 years of games, then maybe it might be a big enough franchise to actually take a fee from.

Personally I believe licensing is less about HB not being great at securing licenses and it's more about world rugby's lack of vision and administrative entanglements of players and teams across the globe making things complicated.

Changing squads should be allowed online, using the saquads for club sides, and being able to pick whoever you like for the national sides. I think you should beable to set up your squads and tactics etc and save them so you can just jump in and play, or beable to fiddle with the squad youve chosen when youve joined a game, but with a time limit of course.
Definitely. This is my one "really want even though I don't know how possible it is" feature.

An important question is: How many Online Players should HB allow?

I really like the points deduction idea if you quit a match - maybe the points could allow you to unlock-able players, teams or features (Similar to COD Black Ops).

Selecting favourite International Team + Club - linking with similar online players

Choice of Online Tournament or Exhibition Match

Online Multiplayer i.e. 1P v 1P, 2P v 2P, 3P v 3P or 4P v 4P

Playstation Eye Compatibility

An important question is: How many Online Players should HB allow?

I really like the points deduction idea if you quit a match - maybe the points could allow you to unlock-able players, teams or features (Similar to COD Black Ops).

Selecting favourite International Team + Club - linking with similar online players

Choice of Online Tournament or Exhibition Match

Online Multiplayer i.e. 1P v 1P, 2P v 2P, 3P v 3P or 4P v 4P

Playstation Eye Compatibility

If HB are trying not to make things too complicated, I can imagine 2p vs 2p being the limit that multi-player would go for now.

I think Online Gameplay would give the game much needed longevity, especially if there won't be features such as World League or Manager Mode. The HB guys should strive to create addictive Online Gameplay similar to COD Black Ops where Single Player is overshadowed by the Online Multiplayer Player Mode. However, it is frustrating playing Black Ops with the Lag / Connection Failure / Quitters as you don't earn points if you get disconnected during a match. This aspect will be a real challenge to HB but I'm sure they're capable of creating an excellent online experience.

I don't know if Capcom have sewn up the rights to it, but it could be worth HB's net guys looking into licensing GGPO for the netcode. It's used for Street Fighter IV, and is very popular amongst the fighting game community.

---

When there are multiple players in a room, (eg, for a TRF tournie) it would be good if those not playing a game could watch one that is going on.

FIFA allows your edited squads to be available in unranked matches and in ranked matches it is the current updates squads that are used

I think this would be easy to replicate

I think it would be good if HB could implement Squad Updates at the Start of each Season reflecting new signings and players leaving etc. This would take a lot of work but would definitely enrich the online gameplay as everyone would have the exact same squads to choose from.

Xbox Live Rugby 2012 Rankings Leaderboard

Gamertag : ANTHEAD
Leaderboard Possission: 1009
Rank Points 26
Bonus Points 2
International Team most played New Zealand
Provincial Team most played Melbourne Rebels
Games Played 11
Games Won 5
Games Lost 4
Games Drawn 2
Win/Loss Ratio 0.80
Winning Streak 5
Games Drawn 2
Red Cards 2
Yellow Cards 3

*** Rank points are determined by a points system:

* 4 points for a win
* 2 points for a draw
* 0 points for a loss

"Bonus Points" may also be earned in any given match and count toward deciding the winner. A total of two bonus points can be possibly scored:

* The Attacking bonus point by scoring four or more tries in the match, regardless of the final result.
* The Defending bonus point by losing by seven points (a converted try) or less.

A victorious team can collect either 4 or 5 points, depending on whether or not it scored 4 tries in a game. A losing team may collect from 0 to 2 points. At the end of the game both teams collect and take with them their Bonus Points and Rank Points, which are added to their personal stats to give them their leaderboard possission on the Xbox Live Rugby 2012 Rankings Leaderboard. ( As Shown Above ).

**** The Rank Points gives your Leaderboard Possission on XBOX LIVE MULTIPLAYER.
**** Bonus Points are added to become part of your Rank Points.
**** You can pick and play any team you like online being International or provincial....if your good enough.

This point system is tried and tested for the Tri Nations. I thought it would be a good idea and exciting for gamers, to incorporate this scoring system as shown, for online play, which encourages scoreing whether your winning or its a loss. Most people are more inclined to continue playing the game online, even if theyre loosing, so they can score the Defending " Bonus Point ". Every game will count.... now youll have two scores to deal with ! Your in game score and the Xbox Live Rugby 2012 Rankings Leaderboard score !

** This easy but effective online leaderboard feature enables the gamer ( player ) to play the game of rugby with absolute freedom on how they chose to play the game, whether its a win or defeat, the player can still add Rank Points to their leaderboard status ; enforcing replayability and challenge.

** In answer to your question gamers replayability online here are some options :

An online " Career approach " as above, where everyone starts with the same pick of 6 low class rugby teams. To gain more teams, requires a certain amount of bonus points to unlock a specified rugby team. Also to make player team favoritism online to become sporatic, to unlock certain rugby teams, the player must play as a specified team and complete the challenge. e.g. to unlock England : Youll need to play as Italy and win by 15 points.

whether theres international or provincial teams available for online play can work, but probably more favoured for international teams available only due to hbs time, budget and core game play focus.

To answer your question on created players in teams adding higher stats :

Even though it would be a cool feature for online play i dont think it would work. But to have this for singleplayer there can be no arguments.

An idea for gaining created players :

Every team, depending on the teams division, has the same money cap. International teams will have a higher cap than provincial teams. This said, if you want two created players to be on the same team, then sacrifices will need to be made according to the teams overall money cap. e.g. dropping a high skilled player from the squad to accomidate your two created players into the teams cap limit.

There are three ways to gain skill points for your created players:

1) One " Bonus Point " you earn gives to you 10 ( created player ) skill upgrade points.

2) Forty " Rank points " you earn gives to you 10 ( created player ) skill upgrade points.

3) Have one team win 5 consecutive matches, gives you 10 ( created player ) skill upgrade points.

Based on a created player total skill points 100.

The reasons for these three options :

Option 1 ) Reward for finishing the match and collecting the match " Bonus Point " whether by scoring four or more tries. Or the Defending bonus point by losing by seven points (a converted try) or less.

Option 2 ) Rewarding replayability, finishing games and collecting possible bonus points. Play - finish - gain.

Option 3 ) Rewarding replayability, challenge, finishing games.

You DO NOT loose Bonus Points or Rank Points from your Rugby 2012 Leaderbord ( as shown above ).

Further challenge rewards and encourage game replayability - special " Bonus Point " unlocks e.g. custom team uniform colours, Stadiums, ability to pick weather e.t.c.

Leaderboard Recap :

1) Simple to understand and sets a challenge to the player to be #1 in the world at Rugby.
2) Rewards for playing
3) Challenge and replayability
4) Play how you want to play the game of Rugby
5) Win or lose you still win ( Bonus Points )
6) Admire your personal Leaderboard Stats and achievements

thats all for now. cheers. im just glad rugby will be on the 360 which is an awsome start with hopefully many more ***les to come and it only can get better.:D

ANY COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED.

Last edited:
I think it should have ultimate, virtual pro and online matches similar to fifa although this is unlikely and I think it will come down to just being online matches and I think a ranking system where you level up and unlock certain things for single player and online would be good, or it could have a ranking system similar to Starcraft 2 which I think would be good where you start off with your team and play 5 play off games, and you are put into either bronze, silver, gold or platinum league based on your performance. You then compete in the league and every week the top 1-3 players in the league are promoted, the bottom 3 are relegated. Of course there would be more than say one type of bronze, to fit the player capacity. I think the second idea would be my favourite and would like to see it implemented.

I don't think we should be able to tweak formations and positioning too much. Look what happened on fifa 10, the number of glitch formations that appeared once people had worked out the mechanics. I'd rather they focussed on making the AI of the players that bit smarter so you wouldn't need to muck about with them too much.

Sliders setting preferences for your forwards to compete at breakdown or ponce about with the backs would be good, so you could influence the way you wanted to play the game.

If the licencing does become a problem, I'd like to be able to dl other people's edited roster, kit,etc, I would also like to see an online Rugby World Cup and definately allowed to use custom rosters online. I'm also really hoping for updated rosters every now and then

If the licencing does become a problem, I'd like to be able to dl other people's edited roster, kit,etc, I would also like to see an online Rugby World Cup and definately allowed to use custom rosters online. I'm also really hoping for updated rosters every now and then
That would be impossible on console versions of the game and regarding the editing of players names and faces, I don't think HBS would want to let the gamers mess with the games they put so much time and effort into making.

The playability of the game will come down to how good the game itself is, not how the online ranking system works, I'd prefer if they put most of their resources into making a great game and only offered a "quick match" online option at launch than if they spent it on an ok game with a complex online system.

Depending on revenue generated by the game they could always patch/free dlc the online feature later assuming the demand will be there for it. For alot of the features you guys are looking for if the they have them at launch i wouldn't be surprised if they expect us to buy subscription cards.... which i won't indulge in buying thank you

on the online section of the game menus should have 2 choiches exbidition match or tournament mode on the online menu exbidition match would be a quick match and tournament mode would be made of a list of tournaments eg.super 14 magners league and so on and you join and select your team and the other online players will fill all the other teams . also should have throphy cabinet to show what compitetions you have won.

15 v 15 like the FIFA 11 v 11 ... if that happened i would make the chair i'm sat on sticky :) to be able and creat yourself or a player of your choice and play them online or offline would be AMAZING!!

on the online section of the game menus should have 2 choiches exbidition match or tournament mode on the online menu exbidition match would be a quick match and tournament mode would be made of a list of tournaments eg.super 14 magners league and so on and you join and select your team and the other online players will fill all the other teams . also should have throphy cabinet to show what compitetions you have won.

Totally agree with you! This would also help build a strong online community for the game because you can meet other likeminded players.

Latest posts