• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 4 vs 4

Mikev

Academy Player
Country Flag
Poland
Hello,

I'm new in the rugby thing, i've read IRB laws handbook and trying to introduce my friends to that beautiful sport. Anyway I have some problems collecting teams for rugby sevens so have to adapt game to 4 vs 4. We've never played a single game and I have a question about proper field size for that number of players. I thought about 50 m long and 35 m wide. Wish me luck in getting people into game. :)

Best regards,
Mikev

If you guys have never played before then just go with a classic touch game of 4 vs. 4. This will help you guys work on passing, and running lines. If that is easy then switch to a good drill that the person who tackles (touches) has to run to their own try zone before getting back on D, this allows for you guys to really get the feel of over laps and mismatches. Another option is to have the "touch" rule: once a team has been tackled (touched) a certain number of times it is a turnover and the defense gets to switch. It makes the game very fast and forces the offence to come up with amazing plays to unlock the defense and score the try before they get touched to many times.

I would not really play 4 vs. 4 contact, unless it is in a very small field, (very small).

Also don't really worry about the size of the field, just head to a park set out some boundaries and just change the size based on your enjoyment. If you guys are all fit like backs, then make it a bit bigger and enjoy the open space, if you’re a little out of shape then make it small and work on creating holes to punch through.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for helping me out. Touch rugby is suitable for the beginning.

Of course I'll try to mobilize more people. Not suprisingly in the country without rugby tradition it struggles with many stereotypes like 'brutal game with no laws'.

I also thought about adapting 5 vs 5 beach rugby rules.

ohh ya, beach rugby would be great, definitely can make it contact. Lots of fun on the beach.

I reguarly play 4 v 4 or 3 v 3 games on a nearby park. Field length would be roughly 45m x 20m, at a guess. We just mark it out with bags, jumpers, spare balls, etc and see if it seems OK.

I agree, small field if you're going contact. When I first started coaching I had the problem of having low numbers until we got the word out. So, we had many an early training session with 8 of us, including myself.
If you're trying to learn, I second the suggestion that touch would be the best bet. I would recommend for touch adopting more of the league style of play with the reset from the touch (tackle).
[video=youtube_share;3mW0tXO8i5E]http://youtu.be/3mW0tXO8i5E[/video]

lol you read the rule book. You are already ahead of 90% of the rugby population (Y) Good luck! I would just start off with touch rugby, i suppose you could play with rucks eventually.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Now I'm preparing playground (now it's meadow) near my home. Size is 35 m length x 20 m width (I'll mark 15 m) to play 4 vs 4.

People are strongly oriented to play contact rugby of course without knowing even basic rules. But I'll introduce the touch game firstly.

Now I have to find rules of that cause I don't think the only is the 'touch rule'. ;-)

Latest posts