• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby as Olimpic game

A

alexrugby

Could be great if rugby entered the list of Olympic games and our national teams could get an opportunity to face off for the honorable Olympic medals.
Cool, imagine rugby players among the gymnastics :cheers:

9597075_400x400.jpg

Bests my friends

Can't play 15's because your body just can't handle playing a game every second or third day. Though 7's definitely should be.

Rugby, soccer, basketball etc shouldn't ever be considered for the olympics... they already have their own structured international championships and are not proper Olympic sports.

Failing to lobby successfully for sevens to be added to the 2012 games has to be one of the biggest failings of the iRB next to the shambolic way it has handled the ELVs.

Sacrificing its role of taking the game forward for just sitting around navel gazing and pandering to the Barons and O'Neils of the world, in failing to act as the game's biggest cheerleader, tackle the vested interests of the top ten Unions and create a fair and transparent way of selecting RWC host nations, the iRB has in effect lost most of its credibility.

Rugby, soccer, basketball etc shouldn't ever be considered for the olympics... they already have their own structured international championships and are not proper Olympic sports. [/b]

Disagree completly, Rugby had its place in the 1900, 1908,1920 and 1924!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_a...Summer_Olympics

Football is a great one because you get to watch the lesser nations giving it a go and its always good to watch! Yes the likes of Brazil and Argentina win it but to see sides like Nigeria going close is always good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Note only two years (1896 and 1932) are the two only years that football was not included in the Olympics! Hardly not an Olympic sport!

Basketball has been in the Olympics for quite a bit!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_Summer_Olympics

The only way for it to work in the Olympics is 7's!

Does anyone actually care about the Olympics anyway? Besides some of the organised sports that have been added (football, b-ball) the rest are just a combination of sports no one gives a **** about by themselves that they have to put together so people may actually be interested. Large amounts of people support rugby on its own merits so who gives a crap, I sure as hell won't be watching the Olympics.

Now that I think about it BLR, it's very true. Some of the events at the Olympics like gun shooting is just not very interesting....

Does anyone actually care about the Olympics anyway? Besides some of the organised sports that have been added (football, b-ball) the rest are just a combination of sports no one gives a **** about by themselves that they have to put together so people may actually be interested. Large amounts of people support rugby on its own merits so who gives a crap, I sure as hell won't be watching the Olympics.
[/b]

I'm in you're boat. Most of the events are tedious and just flat out boring to watch. Added to the fact that the games were awarded to a country like China, it gives me even more reason to not give a ****.

The Canadians care about the Olympics very much as it gives companies like the Hudson Bay Company a reason to exist!

hahaha last time i checked they were still trying to get rid of the huge controversy created by the "made in china" label on all of their canadian olympic apparel

I duno how things like Shooting and Archery are considered sports over Rugby 7s.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I'm in you're boat. Most of the events are tedious and just flat out boring to watch. Added to the fact that the games were awarded to a country like China, it gives me even more reason to not give a ****. [/b][/quote]

Yeah I agree with you guys add the fact that most of the winners will be on undetectable drugs.

What you people don't enjoy getting drunk and gambling on who is going to win the fencing competition? I know I'm looking forward to the Nadal vs Federer Gold medal final, the Williams sisters play doubles, as well as the Americans getting beat by Spain in basketball and watching juiced up black men run the 100m. Wrestling is also an underrated sport as is the judo and taekwondo. **** what about boxing? Ladies beach vollyball? Michael Phelps in the pool going for 8 golds? Intense table tennis? Those Chinese are bonkers on the small tables. Is Jenny Finch still pitching for the US womens softball? Because if she is, well damn she's worth the price of admission alone. The rowing stuff always gets my blood going for some odd reason. C'mon who doesn't like feeling like a perv watching all that jail bait strut their stuff on the gym mats? I know I do. Plus the trampoline ****, I mean that's just asking for retards like me to go and whip out the old trampoline and hurt myself. Sure maybe we don't understand or appreciate the skills involved in hammer throw or archery or handball, but is that not half the fun?

I am personally getting pretty excited for these Olympics all of a sudden, plus with all the political intrigue that's going on, it's going to make for great story lines. I know I'm going to enjoy watching the first protest that ends with needless violence. And hopefully that just snowballs and we see some widespread rioting, looting etc and finish that off with the Chinese and the IOC looking like fools and it'll be a marvelous month of August.

Watching team GB stuffing the Yanks in the 4x100m relay always makes my day.

EDIT: I think Pro Wrestling should be an event in the Olympics!

C'mon who doesn't like feeling like a perv watching all that jail bait strut their stuff on the gym mats? [/b]
r-kelly-photoshoot-2.jpg

fcukernaut I forgot about the potential protests, riots and looting etc. Thats one thing I will be looking foward to.</span>

rugby 7's is the really only viable way to fit into an olympic schedule plus it's a crowd generator just look at the success of the irb sevens world circuit always people wherever they go. rugby deserves a chance just as any other sport that has been added or being considered to be added to the olympics. I doubt it will happen in the near future though as the IRB as completely delusional on trying to get anything done and highly political too.

I think the olympics are great to watch. sure without question some sports are just freaking painful to watch but the likes of swimming, athletics, rowing and other spectator friendly sports are awesome to watch. I also love the battles tha can develop like thorpe v van hogenband from sydney 2000.

I agree the people who do think that rugby can be brought to the Olympic games schedule, Basketball and Football are by far the most played Olympic games I really know because I was watching the lives :lol2tn:
but what about the rugb y 15s and its loaded schedule, the wise people could engineer something smart not to let guys play every second day
I think iRB doesn't really care about the rugby entering Olympic games
but there is more iRB forgets to care about unfortunalety in a real rugby world core
OK lets admit that Rugby7s would be more interesting to watch than shooting or bowshooting
Cheers mates :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

GYI0000715727_2211_SQ_MEDIUM.jpg

Latest posts