Rugby at the Olympics

Discussion in 'IRB Sevens, World Cup & Premiership 7s' started by Gaetan, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Gaetan

Gaetan Guest

Hello to All
    So this is it, rugby's going back to the Olympics.
    I'm totaly new to watching conventional rugby XV and know nothing about what revolve around rugby VII.
    Are both two differents stories? Does the sames countries dominate either one? How are they differents or the same?
    Geez, hope you get what I want to know.
    Gaetan, the french canucks

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Olyy

Olyy Guest

London is 2012, it's Rio 2016 :p

7s is just shrunk down version of XV,
    Rules are generally the same, scrums has 3 people a side, conversions are dropgoals only, and it's 7minutes a half

Generally the countries that do well at XV do well at VII as well, with the pacific islanders doing a bit better at VIIs than XVs (from what i've gathered, i don't really follow VIIs that much, just play it), i'm sure there's a list of the top countries on the IRB site or something, i know that Wales and SA both had successful years in VIIs.

4. Gaetan

Gaetan Guest

Sorry, totaly right, I gonna edit

5. Jethro

Jethro Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Oct 10 2009, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Cough *Kenya* Cough ;)

6. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

http://www.allblacks.com/news/11287/Were-g...-for-2016-debut

Yeah, Rugby 7's is a game in which a wider group of countries can win realistically, where as in XV's, the same countries usually do well. 7's is a 7 min half game, with only 7 players on the field, so it is pretty much a bunch of backs running around, as apposed to XV's which is more alot more forward orientated.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!