• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby balls on a plane?

I

InsaneAsylum

this got me thinking... have you ever seen a can of pringles chips on a plane? before they are opened the freshness seal is bulging outward. so if a can with air in it acts like that at altitude, my question is, can I take an inflated rugby ball with me on the plane without it exploding? would it be different if i had it inside the cabin with me as it's pressurised or if it was in the lower unpressurised part of the fuselage in my checked baggage.

anyone taken a ball with them on the plane. what happened?

I was gifting a rugby ball to Murasakino High School in Kyoto, Japan earlier this year and was told not to inflate it because the differing air pressures inside the cabin and inside the ball would cause it to burst.

If it was in the cabin you'd have no problem as it would be in the same pressurized tube as you (so by the same theory, if the ball was going to expand, so would all the oxygen atoms in your blood - Ie, the Benz.)

However if it goes into the hold, it won't be in a pressurized environment and the thin air at altitude would cause it to over-inflate and potentially burst. Or at least make it end up looking like a beach ball.

You'll have absolutely no problems, I took a rugby ball from Darwin, down the west coast of the US and back and there were absolutely no problems with it exploding or over inflating.

I second this, normally you shouldn't have any porblems taking a ball with you.

Never tried it myself but I remember passing a ball about with some Kiwi kids a few years back (I was about 14) in an airport departure lounge. I'm assuming they had no problems taking it on.

just stick three or four fins on one end and paint it black or dark grey. You'll be fine.

I was gonna say.. 'Rugby Balls on a Plane'.. the sequel to 'Snakes on a Plane' .. when balls attack!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
some Kiwi kids a few years back (I was about 14) in an airport departure lounge.[/b]

That was the Junior AB's official training facilities arranged for them in the pacific islands!

Latest posts