Rugby balls

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by aznWing, Dec 3, 2007.

1. aznWing

aznWing Guest

Hi I need some info on rugby balls becasue I need to practice my kicks. Which balls are good? I seen the Gilbert balls, but not sure which one (xt400, xt500) What's the difference of these balls? Also are CCC rugby balls any good?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

The CCC balls ar extremely hard and fly differently.

4. nam97

nam97 Guest

Don't know which model, but the Gilbert balls are the best in the business.

5. PeeJay

PeeJay Guest

There isn't much difference between the XT400 and XT500 balls, tbh. The XT500s are supposed to be better quality and more suitable as a match ball, but they're not really worth the extra £5.

6. Gilbert balls are better by far...

7. aznWing

aznWing Guest

k thanks for the tip!

8. superlyduper

superlyduper Guest

i doubt theres a difference between xt400 and xt500

even the site doesnt really offer any explanation on the differences

9. aikitim

aikitim Guest

adidas balls are very nice as well

10. melon

melon Guest

The difference between the 500 and 400 is that the 500 has slightly better grip and shape retention (apparently)...and a 40-50% price difference.

I rate the Summit Precision balls above all apart from the higher level Gilbert balls.

11. Alexgorn

Alexgorn Guest

The Best Ball ever is the gilbert Ball because he so great playing with this ball, they are a good sensation in the hands.

12. Gilbert's good, Summit I've always heard is decent but we don't get it much in Canada. Adidas is a nice ball but sometimes overpriced. Whatever you do, stay away from the Canterbury balls, heavy, rock solid and generally crap.

13. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

Thats strange. Here in Singapore, th Adidas balls are always half the price of any Gilbert or Summit ball. Bout 26 dollars, which is about 9 quid?

14. melon

melon Guest

Regardless of how expensive other balls are, the Adidas balls are overpriced.

If an Adidas ball is cheap compared to its competitiors and is overpriced, that must be saying something :p

15. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

Ah, I get finally get it... You're saying the balls are downright lousy. Can't disagree with that; I find the Adidas balls too fat.

16. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

aznWing I recommend you just get the same rugby ball that you're gonna use in your matches. Shitty or not. You can go down to the Gilbert factory and get some high tech advanced rugby ball but if it's not the same as the one you're gonna be using in real matches, it won't help.

Try get everything as close to a real match situation as possible. Use the same tee's, same balls, same boots.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!