• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Boots and Compression

ACS

Academy Player
Country Flag
Singapore
Hey guys, as you can see I'm a new member to this forum and rugby...
So since I've just started rugby about a 2 weeks ago, it's time for me to get proper rugby boots for matches. I'm just confused and unsure to select the boots as once I buy them I'm gonna use them till they wear out and with such other negative circumstances.

I'm currently a scrum half, and hopefully with your useful replies can help me to get the proper boots that I need. I'm also of getting compression tights now, I've been looking at SKINS for quite awhile now, even before I picked up rugby and I'm deciding of getting one of the tights for my future training and matches. If any tights you believe are above par of SKINS please do advice me and I'll check it out.

Cheers, mates :)

Adidas Predators are quality boots and would suit your position well. As they can be used for both football and rugby, they're easily available as well (and as they're blades you don't have to worry about the studs, as they come with rugby-legal blades)
Others you could look at are Adidas R15s, Nike Mercurial Vapors and Puma Powercat boots
I've only used, from the above, the Predators, but mine are doing well, had them about a year and are still going very strong - I've also used the older versions of the R15s (9-15s) and they were good too

As far as Skins tights, i think they're pretty much as good as they'll get. There'll be other companys in the same price range but they'll all be pretty much identical, just with different logos on

Welcome to the forum, btw

Thanks a lot mate! Considering now the adidas predators since it can be used for football and rugby....

Preds as recomended are good, can get bladed or stud form of them too.. as for the skins tights for training it'll be fine but iirc you cant them in a game you're only allowed the under short things

Stay away from the cheaper skins only use 400 series if you are going to buy them. Skins run very very tight and can cut off circulation more than add compression. I like Under Armour or Linebreak if you can get them. I have everything from skins, linebreak, UA, and Canterbury and for the money UA and Linebreak are the best. As i said the 400 seris is not bad from skins but they are a bit spendy. Linebreak and UA will last you a full two season and this includes twice a week training. As for boots i was a pro-adidas until the last few years and the diaster that was the Predator 2 w/studs. I don't know a person that wore them that wasn't treated for god aweful blisters. I think the blades were just as bad so stay away from the Blue and Black Model Predator. I went with Le Coq Sportif last year and i couldn't be happier with any shoe I've ever owner. They are like running on clouds. I have the screw in studs and I'm getting a pair of blades for training. The only reason I'm getting a second pair is that I got foolish and bought the Gun Metal Favorite Delux and they are more of a match boot. They are wearing really well but the finish is beginning to wear from many nights of training on wet pitches so I thought getting a pair of blades for training will make the finish last a bit longer. As a scrum half you are going to be operating in tore up pieces of the pitch i.e behind the scrums and rucks so I would adivce you to get the blades which have blades in the center of the ball of the foot i.e. Le Coq, X-Blades, Some Nike, and Some Asics. The ones with blades on the outer part of the shoe are for wingers who want just enough traction to grab but not enough to hold. As a scrum half you need to find hold more than just grab. Don't be swayed by the FG and HG (Firm Ground and Hard Ground) because most HG are the ones with blades in the center of the boot and you will love the way they give you traction in the muck that you will be operating in.

I was looking at some linebreak stuff before, looked decent and if you buy the last-years-stuff it's reasonably priced (think it's quite pricey normally) - I was considering getting some but I've already got 2 x Nike l/s tops, and pair of 2XU compression tights on the way to me (free with a triathlon magazine subscription, so I got them for £40 not £70 and get all the magazines too :p )

Latest posts