Rugby boots

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

I start summer practice one of the coming days :D and I have the following question.
In the past when I played rugby I just used some plain Adidas running shoes, worked perfectly.

Now I will be playing for a team and it's not that easy to find rugby boots in the sport shop, you have some online shop, but it's always tricky when it comes to size etc...

What's the difference between a soccer boot and a rugby boot and can I sue a soccer boot to play rugby. Most likely I will play lock.

Cheers

Football (soccer) boots, for the most part, can't be used for rugby without changing out the studs first, however this is very easy to do. Football studs are plastic with a metal tip, wheras rugbys are solid metal - the plastic can shatter and become very sharp which isn't pleasant if you tread on someone in a ruck or something. You can buy a pack of rugby studs for a few pounds and then just switch them out in a few minutes

I use Adidas Predator X firm and soft ground ones, the firm are the rugby versions, and the soft are the football versions

Basically: There's no difference, really, apart from the studs on them

olly is right football boots are the business providing conditions are good...you wil see some boots branded as "rugby boots " as they will have a high ankle protection or something but really there is very little difference in them ...i use predators too they are the business great for stepping kicking and running also very durable

If you are a lock, and playing in Belgium, I would recommend you purchase some boots similar to these - http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections/bootandfoot/canterbury/canterbury_rampage_si_rugby_boots

Reason being that these boots have long metal tags which offer very firm grip, as opposed to plastic ones, which are notorious for sliding around every which way. As well as that, they have a synthetic upper which is much less likely to be ripped open from someone else's stray boot. (Speaking from personal experience, a pair of Adidas Powerswerves ripped clean open and replaced by the company).

Basically any metal tag boot will do, as once you recieve them they will quickly mould to your foot anyhow.

Hope I helped.

Cheers guys,

I will go to the sports shop to see if they have other studs as I'm not that keen on ordering shoes online. In every brand I have another size. My shop does have 1 pair of Kooga boots especially for rugby.
Might see.

Thanks

Cheers guys,

I will go to the sports shop to see if they have other studs as I'm not that keen on ordering shoes online. In every brand I have another size. My shop does have 1 pair of Kooga boots especially for rugby.
Might see.

Thanks

Latest posts