• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge Reviewed In Psm2 Magazine...

Originally posted by funksoulbrother+Dec 19 2005, 09:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funksoulbrother @ Dec 19 2005, 09:17 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Dec 18 2005, 08:03 PM
I would like to think the opinions given by lox, sthelens and myself ( there was someone else but i cant remember his user name was it something boy ? appologies to him ) should be a little more trustworthy than those of a reviewer who probably just had the game dumped in his unsuspecting and potentially uninterested lap.
A little more yes. But you guys have given the last couple of rugby games great reviews and in the end they turned out to be disappointing games. I hope its not more of the same? [/b]
We just give our opinions on games, and sometimes they change over time. I stick by rugby 2005 though, it DID have a lot going for it. XBOX & PC versions were particularly smooth and the gameplay was fast & fluent. Not only that, you DID feel in control of the player when you had the ball

No way does RC2006 deserve 64%, that's total crap. It's STILL the best rugby game I've played. I can't wait for it to be released next month.

The thing is, whatever we say doesn't matter really. If you buy a game, there's only yourself who can decide whether it's good or not. One mans tripe is another mans Steak, so to speak. There's lots of people who don't like Jonah Lomu Rugby. Personally, I think they're lumbering idiots with festering maggots for brains and wouldn't know a fully playable and enjoyable game if it hit them in the face.... but that's their opinion and they're entitled to it.

From what I've played, Rugby Challenge 2006 stands head and shoulders above all other rugby games. Yes, it does look very similar to WCR, but the subtle tweaks and differences make it sooooooo much better to play.

FWIW, From all the rugby games released since 1997 (The year of Lomu, rugby game king) these are the order I prefer.

1. Rugby Challenge 2006
2. Jonah Lomu Rugby
3. EA Rugby 2005
4. EA Rugby 2001
5. Rugby League 2
6. Rugby League 1
7. World Championship Rugby
8. EA Rugby 2004
<

Opinions eh.... Some people STILL prefer FIFA to Pro Evo. Now they ARE fools!
<

i will be defiant until i play this game...

i mean every one in my suburb played lomu for like 3 or 4 years..there were guys at highskool who actually made little set moves on the back of there skool books,the enjoyment was never ending..even on single player i wud find sum enjoyment....picking lesser teams to play the big boyz i always got a gud solid challenge from that

but multiplayer gamez were THE BEST EVER..of any sports game in that 97-99 era in auckland..you would find unofficial tournaments at skoolz,at friends or family houses,even at churches..(long story)

but was a very FUN game..the graphics sucked but the gameplay..THE GAMEPLAY!...made it last so long and shadowed the graphics and limited game modes and the very limited options

i will be defiant until i have atleast played this game for over 2monthz..plus im renting it to see if its worth the purchase

until now and then..jlr is still the best..its embarassing afta almost 10years but its the truth

im not convinced until i touch the game itself

Originally posted by locksley@Dec 19 2005, 09:58 AM
FWIW, From all the rugby games released since 1997 (The year of Lomu, rugby game king) these are the order I prefer.

1. Rugby Challenge 2006
2. Jonah Lomu Rugby
3. EA Rugby 2005
4. EA Rugby 2001
5. Rugby League 2
6. Rugby League 1
8. EA Rugby 2004
<

Mr Locksley sir.

Whilst I respect your opinions, and am indebted to you for the wealth of vids you've provided us on this site, I can't agree with your position of EA Rugby 2001, maggot brain!!!!
<

The players had about as tight a turning circle as .... well ... as a Rugby League 2 player!!! Also the AI defence was hilarious, a simple change of direction and all 15 of the defence sailed off in the direction you were previously heading!!

Actually, it was a good fun game ... but I don't feel it was as good as certainly the first rugby league game, and possibly the second one too - although I'm so frustrated with that one at the moment I'd have it below the original WCR on my ratings!

Also, wasn't there a PC superleague game published by Alternative out around the time of Lomu - with Eddie and Steevo commentating? Now that was class ... well ... class-ish!

Originally posted by MightyQuin+Dec 19 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MightyQuin @ Dec 19 2005, 10:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-locksley
@Dec 19 2005, 09:58 AM

1. Rugby Challenge 2006
2. Jonah Lomu Rugby
3. EA Rugby 2005
4. EA Rugby 2001
5. Rugby League 2
6. Rugby League 1
8. EA Rugby 2004 
<

Mr Locksley sir.

Whilst I respect your opinions, and am indebted to you for the wealth of vids you've provided us on this site, I can't agree with your position of EA Rugby 2001, maggot brain!!!!
<

The players had about as tight a turning circle as .... well ... as a Rugby League 2 player!!! Also the AI defence was hilarious, a simple change of direction and all 15 of the defence sailed off in the direction you were previously heading!!

Actually, it was a good fun game ... but I don't feel it was as good as certainly the first rugby league game, and possibly the second one too - although I'm so frustrated with that one at the moment I'd have it below the original WCR on my ratings!

Also, wasn't there a PC superleague game published by Alternative out around the time of Lomu - with Eddie and Steevo commentating? Now that was class ... well ... class-ish! [/b]
I certainly played Super League Rugby ( the one with Eddie and Stevo ) longer than I played RL2.

RL1 is the definitive rugby league game for me at the moment with ARL 96 a very close second, in fact its close enough to poke RL1 in the ribs on occasion.

Other unmentioned games I played for an age and got more than my moneys worth were ARL 96 ( megadrive ) and also World Class Rugby on the spectrum, ST and Amiga.
Also knows as Wembley Rugby League, ET Rugby League and I believe there was a 5 nations edition. All basically the same game with varying teams and comps.

Well, the review sounds mostly disappointing. Not the game, the reviewer instead.

The game looks great from a gamer and a rugby fan's point of view. Like said above; the game won't appeal to everyone, and we have to deal with that but it doesn't mean the asshole down at Psm2 HQ's has to be so abusive towards the game and its genre.

Dispicable but, not suprising from looking at past reviews.

Originally posted by MightyQuin+Dec 19 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MightyQuin @ Dec 19 2005, 10:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-locksley

1. Rugby Challenge 2006
2. Jonah Lomu Rugby
3. EA Rugby 2005
4. EA Rugby 2001
5. Rugby League 2
6. Rugby League 1
8. EA Rugby 2004 
<

Mr Locksley sir.

<

Also, wasn't there a PC superleague game published by Alternative out around the time of Lomu - with Eddie and Steevo commentating? Now that was class ... well ... class-ish! [/b]
<

Exactly!!!! That's your opinion see!
<

True, but it was still fun to play. Don't forget, up until Rugby 2001 we'd had to make do with graphics like Lomu's in Rugby games, so it looked pretty good at the time too.

Also, wasn't there a PC superleague game published by Alternative out around the time of Lomu - with Eddie and Steevo commentating? Now that was class ... well ... class-ish!

I didn't include that because it was released in 1996.... plus the fact that it was the WORST rugby game ever created - and that INCLUDES Rugby 2004!!!!
<

To go back to the original topic though, the mag that gave RC2006 64% is the very same mag that gave Rugby 2004 82%

With that said, you can now make up your minds as to how spot on they get their reviews.

Originally posted by locksley+Dec 19 2005, 10:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Dec 19 2005, 10:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-locksley

To go back to the original topic though, the mag that gave RC2006 64% is the very same mag that gave Rugby 2004 82%

With that said, you can now make up your minds as to how spot on they get their reviews.
[/b]
Well I think we can be pretty sure PSM2 is on crack or something like that. How can anyone give Rugby 2004 84% and RC2006 only 64%. I think that they were probably paid by EA or something, because in my opinion it would get somewhere in the region of 25% (EAs that is).

Coco

Rating Rugby 2004 84% is a big laugh really. I actually quite liked playing the game but never really rated the game. It was also quite ugly and the bad things about the game were big. Very big. So big in fact that they couldn't be ignored.

But I guess that when Rugby 2004 came out - it was a big step forward and maybe the review reflected that. And by that I mean that had you compared the game to say PES 3 or 4 it would look very poor rather than it looking good compared to Rugby (2001).

One thing that really bothered me about Rugby 2004 was your inability to substitute more than one player at a time and also to make tactical switches (changing player's positioms mid-game).

Sports games have done this for ages and not including it was inexcusable.

Come to think about it there were loads of things that annoy me about that game...

...but back to the subject at hand.

I am not really concerned about the review - Locksley has really rated the game and even though I am trying not to raise my expectations too high based on his scribblings I am more confident in his feedback over someone else who may have issues in regard to rugby as a sport overall.

Time, as always, will tell if Locksley is correct in his review of the game.

Jonah Lomu Rugby got a 7 out of 10 when it was first reviewed on the Official Playstation Magazine.

You could tell the reviewer was not a fan of rugby.

I had been playing it for two months and didn't even give the review a second thought......I thought the game deserved more for sure.

Bottom line is......only the fanatics are knowledgeable enough to give a review....and only the objective fanatics not looking for the second coming will give a review that is close to the truth......

....with KnowsleyRoader we have our answer for RC2006.......the only thing going against him and all TRF members who have played it.......is that they did not play it long enough to discover the hidden flaws......but that is our job when we get into it............and if there are none or are very little.....then we will all collectively declare it as excellent....otherwise...well look what happened to RL2.....I to this day have not even bothered to hire it out!

reviewer was proabbly on easy with regards to scoring tries easily. be careful about bad mouthing rugby 2004 ripper is very precious about his beloved ea.

I think like rl 2 a lot of people will be disappointed as they are expecting a madden or pro evo like game which like sidhe swordfish cannot produce on their current budget. this does not mean that swordfish cannot make a good game blic proved this.

perception is also another thing and swordfish at least on this forum are viewed very favourably compared to say sidhe so some of the flaws I think will be missed due to this.

very few games deserve to get high marks and sports games are no different. rc2006 doesn't deserve to be rated as lowly in this review but it proabbly also doesn't deserve a 90% mark either. I think somewhere in the middle like 75%- 85% is what rc2006 deserves. not a bad game but missing features like the fifa and pro evos of this world have

Latest posts