Rugby Championship 2021 onwards

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
seeing some talk the Springboks have recommitted to the Rugby championship for the next decade, good news if true

So basically plans have been made, can't say yet what they are, probably more rugby championship but maybe with more tour vibes to it??

So basically plans have been made, can't say yet what they are, probably more rugby championship but maybe with more tour vibes to it??
"Sanzaar said the Rugby Championship would be restructured to include a 12-match format with teams playing each other on a home or away basis through the new mini-tour match schedule that was adopted in 2019"

i'm all for something that bring s a bit more occasion to these games, only playing the Springboks in SA every twos years will make it more special if we win

Oh so either away or home. The All Blacks come to South Africa and does not play at home that year against SA but rather 2 or three games as a tour and next year it rotates

Fine as long as the games played in SA are somewhat tv friendly for the rest of us.

It is true. SA has committed to the RC until 2030:

Interestingly teams will now face each other on a home and away basis. "The Championship will be restructured to include a 12-match format with teams playing each other on a home or away basis through the new mini-tour match schedule that was adopted in 2019. The announcement today is the first part of a phased progression process within SANZAAR."

Sanzaar CEO Andy Marinos said more announcements would come shortly. "The re-commitment by the four Unions to the long term future of the international game is an important start as we embark in a new direction for both the Unions and the organisation over the coming years," said Sanzar CEO Andy Marinos.

"This is the first of a number of announcements that will be made over the coming weeks and months as we continue to plan into 2021 and beyond. The disruption during 2020 has been significant, however, despite the numerous setbacks and the inherent complexity of our vast geographical expanse, we have managed to keep the game alive and look forward to the remainder of the revised Tri Nations to bring the curtain down on the 2020 season."

"There are some exciting times ahead for rugby in the southern hemisphere as we look to reposition our structure, competitions and future direction as an organisation," Marinos added.

And now that our international borders are finally open, travelling will be more simpler than before.

that article was published/posted back on the 4th
I know.

But the bottom line of it is that SARU has committed itself to SANZAAR until 2030.

So regardless of what the competition will look like, post-Covid19, the Springboks will be in the tournament with NZ, AUS, and ARG

seeing some talk the Springboks have recommitted to the Rugby championship for the next decade, good news if true

Just yesterday I was wondering if South Africa was going to stay with Sanzaar and vice versa. I hope they do.

Last edited:
I find the idea of doing mini tours to me excellent. It adjusts to historical tradition. I think we are too spoiled with all these matches. Having the All Blacks, Sprinboks or Wallabies with us for an extended period is another thing than having dazzling visits. I prefer more spaced but longer visits.

Attachments

• 1605699101424.png
    1605699101424.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts