• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Australia - Argentina (15/09/2012)

What a pity. It was a great chance to achieve a victory. I think once the Pumas get the first one they will have a huge boost on their confidence on closing matches, but in the meanwhile they will always have to suffer in the last 20 minutes. Still, there's no better way of learning and improving than playing against these rivals.

Hope for a better luck when receiving NZ and AUS home.

very lucky to win, poor from start to finish

Why??? I think that was a good match of Wallabies. Given the low of players like: David Pocock, James Horwill, Will Genia, James O'Connor and Timani, I think based on that, it was a proper match to aussies. James Horwill and David Pocok are the most important forwards in the team at the moment and they couldn't play because they are injured. Will Genia is the organizer of the team, which organizes the attack and couldn't play because of injury. And great backs like James O'Connor or Drew Mitchell couldn't too, and Timani, who was one of the best players in the win against Springboks couldn't play too. For this reason many players played with little international experience. Then considering that it was a good match for the Wallabies.

Wallabies are the only team ones who could enter 4 times in the Pumas's ingoal. (2 tries annulled in the first half and two tries in the second half). I think that Wallabies with his full team (Horwill, Pocok, Timani, Genia, O'Connor, Mitchell and others) is much better team than Argentina, which only has a great defense.
Regards

Last edited:
Well done to the pumas, I was worried that they might cause an upset there. Lucky for me, the wallabies came back but the pumas yet again show that they are worthy of being in this competition.

The wallabies were ok, but they need to improve. 20 points butchered in the 1st half.

Missing players, friend. The Australian team is very short at this time. With Horwil, Pocock, Genia and others, this team plays much better. Argentina isn't a serious rival when this team has all its players. :cool:

Regards

Certainly a game of two halves. I was considering going to bed after the dire first half, but luckily persisted, and was rewarded with a good second half. Australia butchered a couple of clear try scoring chances in the first-half, but did enough in the end to snatch the win, which I'm sure they will be happy about! I have said many times that teams need to learn how to win close game - it doesn't just happen overnight, and I think it will take Argentina a season or two to regularly win games like this.

I thought the Argentine tight-five as a whole were very good, and I'm starting to quite like Julio Farias Cabello at 6. He may not be the most dynamic player, but he has a massive work-rate. Leonardi again made a massive impact when he came on - surely he must get a start sooner rather than later? Hernandez was very good again, especially when he took on the line, and he is a phenomenal defensive 10. I thought the centres were solid, and Amorosino was a step up at fullback, but the wings were a bit mixed. A three wings used had some great moments with ball in hand, but Agulla and Imhoff in particular made some costly misses on defense.

Australia I thought were generally outplayed up front, but Alexander looked good with ball in hand, while Douglas made a very solid debut. Hooper was a lot quieter this week (and missed quite a few tackles), but Samo was pretty good....apart from dropping the ball over the tryline! Dennis again had a very good game, with a big work-rate, and is starting to show his effective running game at test level. Higginbotham made a good impact when he came on, as for a second week in a row he actually tried to play like a forward.

Phipps was ok (one good break lead to Ioane's try), while Cooper was poor. I was expecting him to have a good game, but I was clearly wrong here. McCabe in general was very good. He offers a very strong direct runner in midfield, and his try saving tackle on Camacho was superb (not sure if the yellow that followed directly after was warranted or not). AAC was strong again at centre, while I thought both wings had good games, with Ioane really looking for work this week. Barnes made a pretty good job of fullback, though his goal-kicing, which had been superb this tournament, let him down a bit.

Can't wait to watch these two teams in Argentina, as I predict we will have a different winner!

Missing players, friend. The Australian team is very short at this time. With Horwil, Pocock, Genia and others, this team plays much better. Argentina isn't a serious rival when this team has all its players. :cool:

Interesting view. I would probably agree but it only applies to home matches. Australia tend struggle away against Italy, Scotland and England. Even with their best players all available I think they would find it tough in Argentina and I'd make the home side favourites. Personally I think that qualifies for 'serious rival'.

Australia very lucky.

And people laughed at the idea of Argentina being able to beat Australia! :lol: I'm genuinely concerned for the ABs with their current play, and the fact that they're playing in a hostile crowd.

To uninformed fans: Write-off the Pumas at your peril... ;)

Regards

Rubbish. This will be why they drew with South Africa in Mendoza? I don't think so!

Sooner or later, they are going to knock someone over in this competition. I'm betting it will be sooner.

IMO, Argentina are a rough chance to beat the All Blacks in La Plata, and its even money against the Wallabies in Rosario. None of the Australian have never played in the Argentine Interior... they are in for a shock!

Last edited:
Australia did good to come back and win. Felt sorry for the Pumas, they had it. Good game both teams!

I'm really surprised none of the Aussie poster have brought up McCabe's yellow card. I though that was a very harsh decision. For once, I actually agreed with the Aussie commentators. I thought it was just a tackle with no ruck formed.

Hernandez was the first Argentinian player there and went straight off his feet (onto his knees with his left hand supporting him on the ground) and sealed off the ball (and that's a penalty right there). He was definitely off his feet before McCabe touched him, so no ruck can form (ruck formation requires a minimum of one player from each team BOTH on their feet).

While its still a tackle, Landajo arrives and Mccabe immediately shoves him away. That's a clean out in my book, and therefore in accordance with Law 15.7 (d)

[TEXTAREA](d) Players on their feet must not charge or obstruct an opponent who is not near the ball.[/TEXTAREA]

How can standing right over the ball trying to pick it up not be near the ball?

IMO, the Yellow card was not warranted, in fact the penalty should have gone the other way for Hernandez off his feet and sealing off.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Pumas will win a game soon... I just hope it's not against us. It's just another reason for the "Quade Cooper: Public Enemy number 1" crowd to claim supremacy over Australia and Australians.

^ surely if they win this year it's against AUS.
The AB's game in ARG is going to be absolutely delicious to watch though, my my !!!....

I'm really surprised none of the Aussie poster have brought up McCabe's yellow card. I though that was a very harsh decision. For once, I actually agreed with the Aussie commentators. I thought it was just a tackle with no ruck formed.

Hernandez was the first Argentinian player there and went straight off his feet (onto his knees with his left hand supporting him on the ground) and sealed off the ball (and that's a penalty right there). He was definitely off his feet before McCabe touched him, so no ruck can form (ruck formation requires a minimum of one player from each team BOTH on their feet).

Knee (singular) and only momentarily. Ruck had formed. Scrum-half puts hands on the ball = ruck over? I believe ball is out when 9 puts hands on it. McCabe shove = not a legal tackle. In any event a shove isn't a legal clean out either, players joining the ruck have to make an attempt to bind.

Barnes did him for playing the scrum-half when he didn't have the ball so presumably he felt Landajo couldn't get the ball out and wasn't in possession. Either way a shove doesn't cut it as a tackle or a clear-out.

Last edited:
All I can say is, The aussie commentators need to get off Coopers dick!...

Just seen that Quade Cooper is out for the rest of the tournament with a knee injury. Are there any fit backs left in Australia?

I would assume this will mean Barnes will slot back in at 10 and Beale will come in at 15.

Just seen that Quade Cooper is out for the rest of the tournament with a knee injury. Are there any fit backs left in Australia?

I would assume this will mean Barnes will slot back in at 10 and Beale will come in at 15.

Aussie grand parent there DD, you could get a run off the bench if you have :D

Aussie grand parent there DD, you could get a run off the bench if you have :D

Alas, I have no Aussie heritage that I am aware of. Otherwise I would definitely have been in with a chance (assuming of course that Australia are after a 5'9, 70kg openside flanker/second-five ;) ).

Last edited:
Alas, I have no Aussie heritage that I am aware of. Otherwise I would definitely been in with a chance (assuming of course that Australia are after a 5'9, 70kg openside flanker/second-five ;) ).

Going for residency then? You can beat Ezequiel as our most distinguished rugby player if you wait a few years.

Something which hasn't been mentioned on this thread, but I believe should be. The Wallabies match winning try was created by some sneaky cheating by Tatafu Polota-Nau.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5x6nv10h-64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Unlucky for Argentina, but they of course had some luck on the same touchline as well. Was Nigel Owens not awake for his touchline duties this match?

Something which hasn't been mentioned on this thread, but I believe should be. The Wallabies match winning try was created by some sneaky cheating by Tatafu Polota-Nau.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5x6nv10h-64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Unlucky for Argentina, but they of course had some luck on the same touchline as well. Was Nigel Owens not awake for his touchline duties this match?
Wow.

But wait, I thought it was only the All Blacks that cheated!?!?!???? :eek:

Latest posts