• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Europe Super Cup (RESC)

Romanian Wolves confirmed as joining the next season.

Excellent for Romanian rugby given the slight domestic league difficulties they are having. 8th side not yet named. If its not to be Poland or Germany I'd like another private venture like Tel Aviv Heat.

Rumours coming from Georgia that bids from Monaco, Italy, Germany and Czechs are all negotiating with Rugby Europe to join. Poland also still believed to be in discussions.

Personally I'd prioritise Poland and Germany if they are going to be promoted to the REC.

I'd hope Algeria and tunisia would think about joining. Algeria is a bit odd since they seem to be more of a diaspora team but it would be a great way of kickstarting rugby in a country.

This is all lovely to see. Would be great if Spain/Portugal could have multiple professional sides in the future.

The 2nd season starts next weekend and the Rugby Europe website is slowly emerging from its August hibernation.

Things I'd like to see this year:

- Announcements around broadcast partners and sponsors. Basically any sign of commercial viability.

- Lusitanos picking up no injuries that would hurt Portugal in the RWCQ.

- Iberians repeating the form of their semi final in Tblisi to push Lusitanos and to attract more of the large rugby population in Valladolid.

- Romanian Wolves getting a four figure crowd at some point.

- Black Lion getting four figure crowds multiple times.

- Tel Aviv giving regular game time to 5 or more Israelis.

- Batumi picking up at least one win to mix up the playoff qualification in the East.

- Dutch Delta picking their strongest sides for home matches to give home fans something to cheer. If you must keep experimenting massively then keep it for away from home.

- Brussels Devils to get two tries or more in at least one game against Iberians or Lusitanos.

An unusual predictions competition being run by Rugby Europe. If anyone wants to play there is a glitch where you can't select 'not specified' when registering.

I'll be scouting the Portuguese match on Sunday. I'll probably watch the Georgia derby tomorrow cause why not.

Romania vs Tel Aviv is the pick of the first round for me, but we are having an Indian summer here so it'll be highlights only probably. Lusitanos should spank Delta but it should be an attractive match for the neutral.

In the other match yesterday Iberians spank the Devils in Belgium in an unfortunately one sided contest (something like 3-61).

Very encouraging from the Dutch to pick up a losing BP. Unless Lusitanos had a terrible game this is a real improvement in Delta's defensive play. Very early days but a good start for Dutch high performance efforts.

Delta on this showing should be aiming for a losing BP at home to Iberians and two wins against the Devils.

Georgian derby a bit of a one sided bore for the Black Lions.

Watched the game and Lusitanos looked bad.

Looked it up and only two starters from the Portugal-Georgia test started this game. 5 bench players from the test appeared in the game.

The result was encouraging for Delta, compared with a 7-50 defeat in the same fixture last season. However I think the scoreline flattered the Dutch a little based on the balance of play.

On the one hand Lusitanos seemed a little rusty and were without some players, but on the other hand the same could be said of Delta.

Pick of the bunch this weekend for me are

Wolves vs Batumi (the point of no return for the loser)

Black Lion vs Tel Aviv - have TL improved compared to last season?

Iberians vs Delta - will a strong Dutch showing last week be rewarded by continuity in selection?

Whereas I'd hide behind the sofa for Lusitanos vs Devils.

A couple of decent tries and a chip kick from the young scrum half the likes of which I'm not sure I've seen before. Shortest chip kick ever so close to touch, but it worked. No need to get excited for the Wolves yet as we don't know what standard Batumi are.

Iberians 22-7 Delta

Delta deny Iberians a winning BP and arguably keep themselves in the hunt for second place in the conference, which is far more than I think anyone expected from them after two games. I have no idea how strong the Iberian selection was compared to their excellent semi final in Tblisi last season, but I think it is now beyond debate that Delta are improving and this will translate into their national team performance (and hopefully into domestic interest)

Decent fixtures this weekend.

Batumi vs Tel Aviv - can Batumi put up a fight or are Tel Aviv cruising into the semis?

Delta vs Devils - can Devils score a try ot two? Will Delta show some more of the old Dutch flair?

Black Lion vs Wolves - can Wolves keep their chances alive with at least a losing BP?

Iberians vs Lusitanos - have Iberians closed the gap since last year?

Tournament resumes with a couple of entertaining matches.

Shows Spain arguably has the depth for two competitive pro teams drawn from their domestic league. Not a great sign for Portguese RWC hopes, although they may be trying to avoid injuries.

Also positive to see Brussels with a decent looking crowd and being able to put on an entertaining show for them. Encouraging highlights from the two weakest teams in the tournament.

With a week to go in the group stage it looks like the semifinals will be identical to last year. Lusitanos hosting Tel Aviv and Black Lion hosting Iberians. This is despite Black Lion not beating Tel Aviv in two attempts and Lusitanos losing at home to Iberians.

Honorable losers are Batumi of Georgia who have clearly been the 5th best side. Romania Wolves have elected to experiment a fair bit and have been pretty badly outclassed in the East by three sides playing to win.

Brussels Devils follow up their impressive win over the Dutch Delta by losing 95-0 to Lusitanos for the second time in the same tournament (hopefully they'll be able to save face by blaming it on match fixing).

Latest posts