• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Fatalities

Vieux Talonneur

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46550462

Horrible news. Rugby's always had its dangers, but with collisions getting bigger at all levels, you can't help wondering if we'll see more similar stories.

Condolences to all who knew him and the clubs involved.

A teenage rugby player with French side Stade Francais has died after being injured in a game.

Nicolas Chauvin, who was 19, suffered a broken neck after a tackle early in a youth match at Bordeaux on Sunday.

The injury led to the back-row suffering a cardiac arrest and brain damage due to a lack of oxygen.

He was taken to hospital and had emergency surgery on his neck, but in a statement Stade said he died on Wednesday in hospital.

"Today, all our thoughts are with the family of Nicolas to whom all the members of the club send their most sincere condolences," the club said in a joint statement it issued with the players' family.

He is the second young player to die after injuries sustained in a game this season.

In August Stade Aurillacois centre Louis Fajfrowski, 21, collapsed in a changing room shortly after being substituted following a heavy tackle in a match.

Someone suggested that the way to go might be to return to the days when subs were allowed only in cases of injury. Then you wouldnt have 130kg behemoths who can survive only for 30 minutes coming on at the 50th or 60th minute and running at by-now-tired players who are fit and lean enough to be able to run around for 80 minutes.
Making players able to run for 80 minutes means they are unlikely to be above 120kg.
And for younger players, weight divisions are probably a must

Weight divisions for kids I certainly agree with.

Only allowing subs in case of injury never worked in the amateur era; I see no reason why it would work as intended now. Whoever needs to be replaced will just kneel down until the physio / water carrier arrives; then go off "hurt".
The only way you could possibly make it work is if you also added that any player going off hurt HAS to sit out the next match "for player welfare reasons"

Actually, I think I could get behind that with the added proviso.

Latest posts