• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Games - Gameplay vs Graphics - What is More Important?

ScottishCannon

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
I believe that gameplay is more important is it is the central aspect of rugby game, obviously graphics are important, but Gameplay makes a game fun and I really couldn't care if Rugby 15 has bad graphics if the gameplay is fun and enjoybale. What do you think?

Gameplay, but in this day and age there's no excuse for terrible graphics.
People can make games in their bedrooms that look brilliant.

I agree totally with Olyy. Of course gameplay is more important than graphics. Sadly we don't have to worry about the graphics in the graphics vs gameplay war as HB studios have not stepped up to the mark from video evidence. So we have to hope it at least has top notch gameplay.

If you're not worried about graphics then go buy a PS1, 2, Xbox as I can guarantee you they each have many awesome gameplay games. Gameplay has existed since Pong, Pacman and Space Invaders came out, great graphics however haven't, so as time passes we expect excellent graphics, the age old rule of gameplay should be a given.

I am of course being quite silly when it comes to my expectations of Rugby 15. It's 2014 and I have a PS4 and developers these days should be able to put a game in progress into a microwave, poppety ping 2 minutes later - smashing graphics and mega gameplay...

Last edited:
The better question is the feel of the game versus the functionality (Almost exactly RWC11 vs Rugby Challenge). Would you rather have a game that is consistently fun to play, or one that is filled with extra modes, licensed players, online, settings that change how it plays, etc? Personally, I'd take how the thing plays on both counts. The Nintendo Philosophy.

I believe that gameplay is more important is it is the central aspect of rugby game, obviously graphics are important, but Gameplay makes a game fun and I really couldn't care if Rugby 15 has bad graphics if the gameplay is fun and enjoybale. What do you think?
i had a feeling you'll post this ;)

anyway i'd say the gameplay is definitely more important but with graphics they have to at-least be decent or else its just ruins the whole game for me.

Definitively gameplay is 100% more important than graphics. Graphics helps engage the player and drawn them in but its the gameplay that keeps people coming back. For me Rugby Challenge has the best graphics but it is an absolute turd of a game. Jonah Lomu had crap graphics even for the time but the gameplay was solid. I for one am not much of a fan of Jonah Lomu only because I always wanted a simulation game along the lines of Madden. For me the most fun Ive had with games were Rugby 2001 and Stacey Jones Rugby league. Even Rugby League Liveis better than any rugby game made. But thats only my opinion. What do I know

Gameplay, but in this day and age there's no excuse for terrible graphics.
People can make games in their bedrooms that look brilliant.

This. It's not unrealistic to expect a game to be graphically nice these days. First and foremost though it would have to feel like rugby. In my mind that's tricky though; games like FIFA are easy because football is a relatively simple game. The technicalities of all aspects of rugby seem difficult to capture without turning the game into a convoluted Madden-esque nightmare.

Last edited:
Exactly, this isnt 1998, nothing wrong with gamers expecting both nowadays

Gameplay of course ! You can play a good gameplayed game with crap graphics, but you can't play a good graphic game with crap gameplay !

We've played crap graphics games for 20 years NES, SNES, Megadrive ... And have started having "decent" graphics with PSone ! But all those old ugly looking games were so fun to play ! Remember Street Fighters, ISS, Zelda, Sonic ! They were sometimes terrible to look at, with a 2014 poitn of view, but so much fun !

Latest posts