• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby gloves ... Wear are they now?

Thought I'd revive this given the apt tytle. Seeing this in the NFL it is now pretty much essential kit for any player in any conditions in any position where they may catch the ball, to be wearing very grippy gloves. As in, if you try to run your hand down your face, you can't. As a result we see amazing one handed catches and more interceptions. More of the plays that get fans on their feet.

So, with World Rugby's understandable obsession with 'improving the product' why is this not a thing in rugby? A decent quality hybrid astroturf will leave nobody nostalgic for the days of a muddy bar of soap being chased around a swamp. Similarly, nobodys' idea of fun is repeated knock-ons of a wet ball by wet hands.

I appreciate an American football will be completely different (and more grippy) than a rugby ball, but the principle is the same and surely there are gloves out there that would enhance grip on a rugby ball? Is it simply that such kit is forbidden or considered diluting the purity of the sport?
Well in rugby no-one is wearing a helmet so a very grippy glove is much more likely to do damage to someone's face. Personally, I'd prefer less risk of facial injuries over more 'one handed catches'.

Gaelic Footballers don't wear gloves anymore in dry weather either and that's a smooth leather ball.

Whatever about the improvements in catching I reckon you lose more passing. I could understand certain wingers and tight five forwards benefitting but definitely understand why they're not used.

Yeah, just had visions of back rowers bossing the breakdown with superior grip, one handed offloads and less knock-ons. But if it would impair passing then that is a bit of a non starter given the way the modern game is played.

The NFL use different gloves for Quarterbacks, ones that presumably don't bring the other benefits I was expecting. Given we've seen microscopic improvements in running shoes, swim suits, tennis racquets etc I'm just surprised there hasn't been more obvious experimentation in rugby. Even if it was failed experimentation.

I miss gloves..... I thought i was a complete player with one red, one blue glove.

Also was thinking, you don't see much shoulder padding in the professional game anymore it seems. Doubt they need it.

Only just seen this thread, which is amusing as it was Sean Lamont's birthday the other day and the photo of him had the offending items in question adorning both paws - I'd completely forgotten about them!

Also, don't underestimate the power of stigma. Even if there was a slight benefit it is easily plausible that due to the stigma it won't be widely adopted.

I cannot remember for the life of me where I heard this (but quick google search looks like it's true), but I recall hearing how in Basketball, by far the most accurate way to score points was to throw under arm - "Granny style". However it has never been adopted because of the stigma, despite it having tangible benefits. I find that fascinating.

Nearly all the kids in my age group rugby wearing sports gloves due to the cold but there is one that has the fingerless Andy Goode's, what a legend!

Also, don't underestimate the power of stigma. Even if there was a slight benefit it is easily plausible that due to the stigma it won't be widely adopted.

I cannot remember for the life of me where I heard this (but quick google search looks like it's true), but I recall hearing how in Basketball, by far the most accurate way to score points was to throw under arm - "Granny style". However it has never been adopted because of the stigma, despite it having tangible benefits. I find that fascinating.
Wilt Chamberlain had the best season % of his career taking free throws granny style and went back to normal the following season because of the insults.

Latest posts