Rugby gloves ... Wear are they now?

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
looking at photos of our Lord savior Andy Goode who gave life to Hair once gone, and gave hope to props wanting to play 10.

He still graces the pitch in what was the must have rugby accessory of my youth....

Rugby Gloves.

But now no seems to wear them.

Why are they now unpopular?

These bad boys were my go to gloves.

31%2Bke-AmlsL._SY300_.jpg

They sort of came in around 2003 along with tight-fitting shirts... thankfully they mostly went out of fashion due to being a bit ****....

I played with a guy at school who had a pair of NFL receivers gloves.... those could tear your face off they have so much friction, absurd grip.

They sort of came in around 2003 along with tight-fitting shirts... thankfully they mostly went out of fashion due to being a bit ****....

I played with a guy at school who had a pair of NFL receivers gloves.... those could tear your face off they have so much friction, absurd grip.

NFL gloves are unreal for grip. Very expensive though and dangerous as you say for rugby.

Charteris used to wear gloves back in his Dragons days. Always thought it was a bit odd to see a forward wear some, suppose it was for lineout purposes. They were obviously not that beneficial, as no-one but Goode really wears them at professional level anymore.

They were obviously not that beneficial, as no-one but Goode really wears them at professional level anymore.

Yet he's still got clubs clamouring over him despite being 15 stone over weight.

Food for thought (no pun intended :p).

I think it stopped with Earl Rose.

After everyone saw how crap he was, everyone came into agreement that the gloves makes you look like a douche and play like one too...

I think it stopped with Earl Rose.

After everyone saw how crap he was, everyone came into agreement that the gloves makes you look like a douche and play like one too...

Earl Rose was a sucker for Rugby accessories

add George Smith, Phil Waugh, Stirling Mortlock and Chris Latham to the list who all rocked the gloves back in 2003

who was the 10 from japan in the RWC, he seemed to just have fingers, no gloves just fingers...very odd

thats him, whats all that about? I know toward the end of my playing career I had to tape a couple of my fingers to stop them popping out of their joint, but nothing like this guy

- - - Updated - - -

good player mind

Thought I'd revive this given the apt tytle. Seeing this in the NFL it is now pretty much essential kit for any player in any conditions in any position where they may catch the ball, to be wearing very grippy gloves. As in, if you try to run your hand down your face, you can't. As a result we see amazing one handed catches and more interceptions. More of the plays that get fans on their feet.

So, with World Rugby's understandable obsession with 'improving the product' why is this not a thing in rugby? A decent quality hybrid astroturf will leave nobody nostalgic for the days of a muddy bar of soap being chased around a swamp. Similarly, nobodys' idea of fun is repeated knock-ons of a wet ball by wet hands.

I appreciate an American football will be completely different (and more grippy) than a rugby ball, but the principle is the same and surely there are gloves out there that would enhance grip on a rugby ball? Is it simply that such kit is forbidden or considered diluting the purity of the sport?

Thought I'd revive this given the apt tytle. Seeing this in the NFL it is now pretty much essential kit for any player in any conditions in any position where they may catch the ball, to be wearing very grippy gloves. As in, if you try to run your hand down your face, you can't. As a result we see amazing one handed catches and more interceptions. More of the plays that get fans on their feet.

So, with World Rugby's understandable obsession with 'improving the product' why is this not a thing in rugby? A decent quality hybrid astroturf will leave nobody nostalgic for the days of a muddy bar of soap being chased around a swamp. Similarly, nobodys' idea of fun is repeated knock-ons of a wet ball by wet hands.

I appreciate an American football will be completely different (and more grippy) than a rugby ball, but the principle is the same and surely there are gloves out there that would enhance grip on a rugby ball? Is it simply that such kit is forbidden or considered diluting the purity of the sport?
I saw a player wearing gloves in a PRO14 game last year before they changed to URC. But I don't remember the player's name or what team he was on.

Adam Hastings had finger strapping in the game the other day. Is this something Scottish players are doing?

I think the grip would **** with passing. How many QBs wear gloves on their throwing hand?

Latest posts