• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby injury and recovery time! This is what has happened to me

Candyman

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have been on here but thought I would ask some advice.

Well on July 24th 2010 I was playing in my club rugby semi final, We had just scored a try and set back up for the kick off! Well the ball was kicked to me and in the spur of the moment and seeing the other team coming real quick I jumped for the ball as I came down my leg got caught in between another players leg! He fell one way and I fell the other. At that stage I didn't feel anything happen until I went to get back up to carry on with the game when I noticed my leg pointing in another direction!! I had really badly dislocated my knee and knee cap!!!

On arrival to hospital they put it all back in place etc I spent a week and a half in hospital where I got xrayed had an MRI to find I had completely torn and damaged the ACL, PCL & MCL So I've had the surgery to repair the MCL which is located on the inside of your leg at the knee of course. that op was 4 weeks ago now I'm in a brace which has my leg locked straight. I go back to meet the surgeons on Monday to see what they think of there first surgery and when they are going to do the ACL & PCL which will be done by key hole surgery.

What I want to know is has this happened to anyone else and how long was it before you were walking I'm not worried about my sport I just want to walk so I can go back to work as I am worried I might lose my job!!!

Please help with advice!!

Sounds really brutal mate.

Knee injuries are the worst (regardless of severity) as they can have more than just the physical impact. Terrible that it's all 3 as well (MCL, ACL, PCL).

All the best in your recovery, and stay off that knee! Time for some gaming I guess. ;) :lol:

Sounds really brutal mate.

Knee injuries are the worst (regardless of severity) as they can have more than just the physical impact. Terrible that it's all 3 as well (MCL, ACL, PCL).

All the best in your recovery, and stay off that knee! Time for some gaming I guess. ;) :lol:

Yeah I'm not worried about playing sport I just want to get walking so I can get back to work which is very important!! So I'm hoping someone has had this before and knows some sort of time frame.

I know two people who have had to have keyhole surgery on their knees, one had it the other week and the other had it in January,
The guy last week of Jan said he didn't sleep properly for about two weeks because he couldn't have his leg in a position that was comfortable, then was walking around on it after about 6weeks very gingerly (i think it was that long) - he came along to a rugby tournament on the first weekend of may (to watch) and was walking fine on it then.
I don't think he's running on it yet though (i think "6-8 months" was being thrown around)

I know two people who have had to have keyhole surgery on their knees, one had it the other week and the other had it in January,
The guy last week of Jan said he didn't sleep properly for about two weeks because he couldn't have his leg in a position that was comfortable, then was walking around on it after about 6weeks very gingerly (i think it was that long) - he came along to a rugby tournament on the first weekend of may (to watch) and was walking fine on it then.
I don't think he's running on it yet though (i think "6-8 months" was being thrown around)

I have nearly been 6 weeks now and I'm still locked in this leg brace and unable to walk yet I still waiting to have the key hole surgery! I just wanna walk for the work side of things!

Quite surprised how quick ya leg loses muscle mass!

What to just walking a little bit to get me to work??

Well it will take a few months to get you walking properly and then if you want to play again anything after 6 months!

Well it will take a few months to get you walking properly and then if you want to play again anything after 6 months!

Well they have told me that because of how bad it was I'd be stupid to play rugby again!! And it would be at least two years before I can play some sports I'm not worried about that I just wanna walk again and get back to work!! thanks for your advice Cymro most appreciated!!

Well they have told me that because of how bad it was I'd be stupid to play rugby again!! And it would be at least two years before I can play some sports I'm not worried about that I just wanna walk again and get back to work!! thanks for your advice Cymro most appreciated!!

I offered no advice :lol: ... best bet is to take it easy and when you start physiotherapy make sure you see if you can hire someone private as well as that will also help speed up recovery.

I offered no advice :lol: ... best bet is to take it easy and when you start physiotherapy make sure you see if you can hire someone private as well as that will also help speed up recovery.

Well telling me about your friend was advice.......When I get to do the physiotherapy side of things I'm going private to actually my teams physio as the ones at the hospital are hopeless they said I could make an appointment get to the hospital for them to cancel it on me as the wards take priority so i thought screw that I'll go private that way I'll get seen too and I can go as often as I like!

Well telling me about your friend was advice.......When I get to do the physiotherapy side of things I'm going private to actually my teams physio as the ones at the hospital are hopeless they said I could make an appointment get to the hospital for them to cancel it on me as the wards take priority so i thought screw that I'll go private that way I'll get seen too and I can go as often as I like!

Well ... the upside to this injury ... you have more time to post here ;)

Well today is D day!! I go back to the hospital to meet the surgeons to see when and how they going to attack the next surgery!!!

Well met the surgeon today and he was happy with how I have healed from the surgery I am still in the brace but they have unlocked it so i can bend my leg to 45deg for 2 weeks then it will be unlocked to 90deg for 2 weeks then I go back to the surgeon they want range of motion there before they do next surgery!

And Yes Lucky they said rugby days are over!!!

Ouch unlucky mate!

Always coaching or officiating to keep you in the game.

Well I've actually been coaching a Junior side at my club for the last couple of years! Plus I can be a water boy!

Latest posts