• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby is being ruined

you know what's ruining rugby? **** box kicks
bring back the goal from mark and let players mark anywhere on the field
funny side point, my dad played for Nelson Bays in NZ, in their centenary almanac that came out about a decade ago the last 10-20 pages just had a full table of all players stats...my dad is the only player to have kicked a goal from mark for Nelson Bays and so it had 10-20 pages with a column for it all with 0 except dad's line...1, love it

If you think rugby is being ruined now wait for more research into CTE to come out.

I imagine most sane parents wouldn't let their child near a rugby field.

you know what's ruining rugby? **** box kicks
bring back the goal from mark and let players mark anywhere on the field

Amen on the box kicks, but rather than the marks, I'd like to see something to ban guys belatedly joining the ruck then almost doing the splits to extend how far back the scrummie can slowly roll the ball back before kicking it. I die a little each time Wales do that. Also, make "use it" give an automatic free kick to the opponent after 3 seconds.

That strikes me as pretty modest gains rather than particularly encouraging.

Amen on the box kicks, but rather than the marks, I'd like to see something to ban guys belatedly joining the ruck then almost doing the splits to extend how far back the scrummie can slowly roll the ball back before kicking it. I die a little each time Wales do that. Also, make "use it" give an automatic free kick to the opponent after 3 seconds.

That strikes me as pretty modest gains rather than particularly encouraging.
"World Rugby said that injury replacements have reduced from 2.08 per game in 2015 to 1.13 in 2019.

The governing body added that no delayed concussions have been reported, and concussion rates at the current tournament are 10.5 concussions per 1,000 player hours, compared with 12.5 four years ago."

I think taking these two together is fairly significant, the first paragraph being more impressive. There was also an abnormal number of high shots early in the competition do you'd expect the number to drop further as players continue to adjust.

2 less concussions in every 13 games is good value for a relatively small change too so I reckon it's time to get used to the framework.

Dont get me wrong, it is a step in the right direction, but its not the sort of movement that will make World Rugby relax at all.

Someone has probably already said this but by golly they need to start turning the clock off at scrum time. If I have to see the last 5 minutes of a match, which should be the most tense period, devolve into scrum resets again I might just give up altogether.

That and caterpillar mauls need sorting asap.

I also despise mauls but I recognize that as fairly unpopular opinion.

After the first scrum reset, stop the clock. Far too easy for winning teams to waste time with the current rules.

Someone has probably already said this but by golly they need to start turning the clock off at scrum time. If I have to see the last 5 minutes of a match, which should be the most tense period, devolve into scrum resets again I might just give up altogether.

I almost like American footballs 2 minute warning idea.

After the first scrum reset, stop the clock. Far too easy for winning teams to waste time with the current rules.
I reckon rugby league style; soon as scrum called or a side has 8 forwards ready to pack down, time off. Soon as 9 feeds wave time back on. If opposition delays after one team set, penalty.

Scrum, stop clock after first collapse until, crouch, time on, set. Collapse, time off, repeat.

Caterpilla rucks allow them to move the ball back along the ground with their hands. And max of 1 extra player bound on.

Mauls are fine for me.

I don't think caterpillar rucks matter much. They're slow and they concede ground. Not exactly an auto-win for the attacking side.

Scrums: Stop the clock when the ref indicates scrum; start again when he calls "crouch" repeat as necessary.

Caterpillar rucks (and others): Call "available" when the ball first becomes available; you then have 5 seconds to do something with it - rolling it back in a caterpillar is fine, but you're counting down your time to do anything with it.

Mauls: I don't see the problem here.

I don't think caterpillar rucks matter much. They're slow and they concede ground. Not exactly an auto-win for the attacking side.
makes box kicking very easy - hence why we've seen roughly a million of them this cup.

The over-the-shoulder tackle being penalized is pretty poor and pathetic. There is absolutely no danger from that tackle and its a good effective tackle. Im all for the laws changing to avoid concussion rates rising and possibly someone being really hurt. But come on, and then you have the 'contact to the face' stuff. Whitelock should NOT have been penalized for pushing Farrell in the face. How is that penalized but the numerous neck rolls during the rucks arent? If theyre going for all this 'head contact' stuff. Then they need to be consistent and call it when it happens in the rucks because it is often.

to make the game faster, use the rules from rugby league, but with variations to allow formations play and to allow 10 phases in one posession

Latest posts