• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby is being ruined

Haha!

Touchè!

But seriously, how can anyone take this guy seriously if he can't recognise the Springbok emblem on the jersey of my avatar, or the legend wearing the jersey. Or the South African flag under my avatar...
... or the fact you live in Polokwane, I mean what non-saffa would reside there ;)

@Tony vellere

So, you've definitely calmed a little after your opening few tirades yesterday and I reckon that honestly you didn't know of all the moving parts at play here and why World Rugby... and subsequently the Refs are making the decisions they are.

It's fine, and I get that your a bit miffed that the residual self-projection of what you believe Rugby should be is being lost but the reasons for it are paramount. Players, teams and Coaches will adapt (with the possible exception of Italian props who are still frikkin dump tackling for some bizarre reason) and once they do this current level of cards being flashed will decline... due to teams steering well clear of going above the nipple. They can still hit hard, in the right place... and Rugby will be fine.

Anyway, welcome to the forum... great initiation btw ;).
Yeah cheers I have always meant for players to be safe but I just think falling into tac

From New Zealand where the BEST rugby is

The best rugby, eh, without the need for the infantile capitals? As an Englishman, I admire the All Blacks but find insufferable the implicit belief that many New Zealand contributors to sites such as this one seem to have, that their contributions somehow mirrors that of their team. Oh, that ordinary mortals such as me, could attain the heights of these gods.

I wholly disagree we are taught to hit chest height it slows the ball down makes the tackled player know he has ran into someone who means businesses and allows the flankers to get the time to get over the ball all great rugby techniques not one of them meant to harm the player being tackled but if he falls into the tackle it all changes obviously
When I learnt we were taught to tackle from the waist down, around the bootlaces was the term, I know the game has changed but most people managed it then

When I learnt we were taught to tackle from the waist down, around the bootlaces was the term, I know the game has changed but most people managed it then
"Cheek to cheek" was what we were told,
Even when I played rugby league for years we were never really told to target the chest/ball - it was always one high one low, with the low being the actual hit and the high being more of a grapple

We were taught to just take their head off in a tackle.... But I guess none of you went to Lloyd Johansson School of Coathangering then.
33060-3x2-940x627.jpg

The best rugby, eh, without the need for the infantile capitals? As an Englishman, I admire the All Blacks but find insufferable the implicit belief that many New Zealand contributors to sites such as this one seem to have, that their contributions somehow mirrors that of their team. Oh, that ordinary mortals such as me, could attain the heights of these gods.
Mate you seem unable to observe history which has shown we are the best, but we well I am not silly enough to believe we can't be beaten and it seems to me you might have the issue with kiwis and the ABs not us with the rest of the rugby world, I actually can't understand how my view on tackling has spiraled into a us and them thing.

The game has ch
The game has changed a bit since then I suppose

Again the game has chsn
"Cheek to cheek" was what we were told,
Even when I played rugby league for years we were never really told to target the chest/ball - it was always one high one low, with the low being the actual hit and the high being more of a grapple
the game has changed more into a rugby league type of defence and that's always been about the tackling into the chest I have played league for ages as well,

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate you seem unable to observe history which has shown we are the best, but we well I am not silly enough to believe we can't be beaten and it seems to me you might have the issue with kiwis and the ABs not us with the rest of the rugby world, I actually can't understand how my view on tackling has spiraled into a us and them thing.
It isn't that 'we' don't feel that NZ are the best, historically and even now though the gap has closed some, they undoubtedly are... it's that you (by the wording of some of your admittedly early posts) feel because you are from New Zealand that 'we' should listen to 'your' personal points above posters from other countries.

Now I don't believe you actually think that... you know like in the frontal lobe or anything... but 'maybe' deep within your subconscious. Either way, if you're a Rugby fan from New Zealand or Madagascar... a valid point is worth just as much. Same goes for invalid ones.

Don't let this thread put you off this forum though, it's good to communicate with Rugby fans from outside your bubble.

Last edited:
It isn't that 'we' don't feel that NZ are the best, historically and even now though the gaps has closed some, they undoubtedly are... it's that you (by the wording of some of your admittedly early posts) feel because you are from New Zealand that 'we' should listen to 'your' personal points above posters from other countries.

Now I don't believe you actually think that... you know like in the frontal lobe or anything... but 'maybe' deep within your subconscious. Either way, if your a Rugby fan from New Zealand or Madagascar... a valid point is worth just as much. Same goes for invalid ones.

Don't let this thread put you off this forum though, it's good to communicate with Rugby fans from outside your bubble.
Your exactly Wright I am only saying what's on my mind and want to see what the rest of the fans of rugby think and I don't and I hope I can speak for other kiwis as well that we are just normal fans like you guys who are extremely passionate about the game

I wholly disagree we are taught to hit chest height it slows the ball down makes the tackled player know he has ran into someone who means businesses and allows the flankers to get the time to get over the ball all great rugby techniques not one of them meant to harm the player being tackled but if he falls into the tackle it all changes obviously

This is the point I was trying make. You weren't taught correctly. Tackling should be waist height maximum. However players developed chest high tackles to stop the offloads and those hits that ended up high weren't punished, so they knew they could get away with it. However this has led to an increase in head collisions, concussions and head related injuries. The whole point is to get players tackling lower again. You can still do a big hit, just lower.

As I said the issue is the way WR has gone about implementing the changes and as yes as pointed out the consistency in the decisions, both on the field and in the citing office.

It is funny we were taught that very early on when stopping the player was the primary aim but by high school the priority switched to stopping the ball and tackling moved up to the stomach area.

This became the target as it was safer for both players especially as players were also getting bigger.

What I find amazing about this thread is that this has been triggered by a yellow card offence which was a result of poor tackle technique. The Samoan who hit Stockdale started very low yes, which is why Stockdale lowered his upper body to prepare for the collision, but then he tried to pulverise him, he rises into the tackle and is literally upright after contact. There were safer, and more effective ways to make that tackle. Bundee's was reckless, and again he was upright making the tackle, he can have no complaints either.

I'm honestly yet to see a tackle that has been carded and think that it's unlucky because there is absolutely nothing that could have been done. Players adapt to these rules, dump and drop tackles are as rare as anything on a rugby pitch now, they were common place 15 years ago, shoulder charges are being weened out rapidly too. Players adapt.

I agree that a world cup is an utterly stupid time to effect change in how the game is officiated. New year's is the only suitable time in my opinion, both hemispheres will be playing rugby and it won't be the biggest of stages giving players time to adapt.

The game has changed a bit since then I suppose

Again the game has chsn

the game has changed more into a rugby league type of defence and that's always been about the tackling into the chest I have played league for ages as well,
So, the game has changed, the game has changed and the game has changed, but now the game can't change because it's more like rugby league and you like that.
Have I got that right?

Last edited:
The big problem as far as spectators are concerned is that World Rugby (via the refs) chose to 'get real' during the biggest event in the sport. They have been making platitudes for 18 months - 2 years but without any follow through ('saying' what constitutes a yellow/red card but hardly any getting served)... so I guess players (& fans) just thought it was lip service... until it wasn't.

'They' (world rugby, refs etc) should've been getting the balance 'right' on these matters for the last two years so by the time that this global showpiece kicked off, coaches, players... and fans would have reached a level of harmony with the new world order... they didn't and we are here :p
100% this if you want to do something you dont start it where it can **** up the biggest tournement on the rugby calender. They went on about it and did nithing then went oh wait lets try it now. Refs wernt 100% on the framework hense hodge and 2 Samoans getting banned after they played the match they were currently losing and went on to win.

I am a huge fan of big hits but if your aiming upper chest for a huge hit then your an idiot as players always dip into tackles. Your asking for a red. I dont want the world cup to be tainted by a tier 1 red. I cant really complain about Aki's red and ban. Not enough mitigation and just because its the KO stages doesnt mean it should deemed any difference to say hodges 3 game ban.

So, the game has changed, the game has changed and the game has changed, but now the game can't change because it's more like rugby league and you like that.
Have I got that right?

Exactly, its changed loads...so keep changing it

I was not interested in rugby enough to remember rugby with detail but what are the main difference between say 2000 2010 2019/20? What makes them years so much better? If indeed rugby has been ruined as some are saying?

I was not interested in rugby enough to remember rugby with detail but what are the main difference between say 2000 2010 2019/20? What makes them years so much better? If indeed rugby has been ruined as some are saying?
In the early 2000s and late 90s it wasn't unthinkable to have a game finish something like 27-21 without any tries.

I know that's not what you're asking but when people long for the old days I always think of that, if it wasn't for an 80th minute try Leicester would have lost the 2001 Heineken cup final despite outscoring Stade 4 tries to nil, that's straight up impossible in today's game I reckon.

In the early 2000s and late 90s it wasn't unthinkable to have a game finish something like 27-21 without any tries.

I know that's not what you're asking but when people long for the old days I always think of that, if it wasn't for an 80th minute try Leicester would have lost the 2001 Heineken cup final despite outscoring Stade 4 tries to nil, that's straight up impossible in today's game I reckon.

maybe in the Northern Hemisphere! ;)

I think people just tend to remember the good stuff. when i try i remember loads of scrum and breakdown moaning, people just moaned about different aspects, where as in the past they'd have ten reset scrums and people complained the ref should do something...so WR tried all these different rules and procedures to fix scrums...and now people just complain the ref is doing too much and "he's probably never packed down in a scrum in his life" (said that myself) and so doesn't know what he's talking about..people will always find something they don't like with the current situation

Latest posts