• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League Challenge videos - PSP

L

locksley

Here are some video captures from Rugby League Challenge on the PSP. Sorry for the lack of sound, but I couldn't find my audio lead anywhere!

As you can see, it's VERY similar to Rugby League 1, but with better controls.

Enjoy

RL Challenge vid 1

Rl Challenge vid 2

radman,

Yeah, I was talking about mascot mania.

Locksley,

Thanks for the coverage. I couldnt get the vids to work, neither quicktime or windows m player will play it.

Is no one else annoyed at the reset at each play of the ball? Hopefully it dosent ruin it as much as Im thinking.

It is a bit weird because the camera angle swings into a top down view at each tackle so it can reset without showing it happening but I got used to it quick.

The key thing is the controls and balance, it is very good despite all of the limitations.

I think you'll like it if you just think of a watered down RL1 but a bit smoother balance with better player control.

Lox, can you possibly youtube those clips?.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Oct 1 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is a bit weird because the camera angle swings into a top down view at each tackle so it can reset without showing it happening but I got used to it quick.

The key thing is the controls and balance, it is very good despite all of the limitations.

I think you'll like it if you just think of a watered down RL1 but a bit smoother balance with better player control.

Lox, can you possibly youtube those clips?.[/b]

It did the same top down view on the DS. That didnt bother me. What bothers me is the that I cant get it wide after a big break and exploit the overlap. I cant catch guys out of postion.

Can you draw and pass in a 2 on 1 with the fullback? This is a fundamental way to score in league and has been missing from RL1 and 2 On the DS you could kind of do it.

You can draw and pass to put players into gaps as players are always in support but the defence holds its line well and you don't get many chances for two on one with the fullback espescially on medium and hard. On easy you can go crazy with all sorts of crazy passing plays and kicks as the opposition is a bit slower and fall off tackles more.

Its called mascot mania. Its a game were you control a teams mascot and you have to save mascots worlds and then you unlock that team to play single games of league in an exhibition mode. the games are fun but the difficulty is low and you will be done in an hour or two. The mascot part of the game is just terrible.

Its by the same developers as the league on psp, except by the sounds of it, its a little more of a challenge.

One question for you guys...........can the AI score trys like they did in RL1?

another one....can you still get runnaway tries with your fastest guys and not get chased down by forwards??

The AI is pretty good and can evade tackles alot and pass the ball around for good gains and score tries espescially when you handover or turnover around 30 out so it is quite competitive.

You can break away on easy for runaway tries but your stamina bar which I haven't
mentioned, use it all up and you slow to a walk so you can only get so far before you're gassed then have to pass.

Some of the better teams can touch you up espescially the one time I played Manly on medium.

Hard difficulty is hard though for me so far, the AI punishes any mistakes on Defence much like the higher difficulties on RL1.

It is much like a bit better balanced watered down RL1

thanks for the info Radman.

If it is a good challenge , and fun rather than frustrating then thats a good thing.

Can you do offloads? Im guessing not because you could barely do them in RL1 and 2.

Yeah you can offload, I haven't quite figured out the timing but it seems to be that you have to hit the pass button immediately upon impact with the tackler.

Another thing, it looks like the player does do a bit of a step when you hit the evade button so both step and fend are the one button, the step doesn't really work but because of the good player control if you line up with the left or right of an opposition player and hit evade while turning away sharply it seems that this effects the step or fend better than when running straight at them and trying to barge through.

I will say that I was surprised at how good the kicking is, in some ways better than RL1 and 2 in that there is no slow motion and you still have time to kick as the defence holds off a bit to keep their line intact.

It's a neat little game for what it is, you just have to have very very low expectations going into it.

Say Locksley, have you heard/played/seen the new league game coming for the Wii?

Or have you seen/heard any news on future rugby games?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Oct 2 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah you can offload, I haven't quite figured out the timing but it seems to be that you have to hit the pass button immediately upon impact with the tackler.

Another thing, it looks like the player does do a bit of a step when you hit the evade button so both step and fend are the one button, the step doesn't really work but because of the good player control if you line up with the left or right of an opposition player and hit evade while turning away sharply it seems that this effects the step or fend better than when running straight at them and trying to barge through.

I will say that I was surprised at how good the kicking is, in some ways better than RL1 and 2 in that there is no slow motion and you still have time to kick as the defence holds off a bit to keep their line intact.

It's a neat little game for what it is, you just have to have very very low expectations going into it.[/b]

So are the draw and pass and the offload the same thing?!

My expectations couldnt be lower so Ill probably be pleasantly surprised.

I'm almost out of questions........can you do grubbers, chips and bombs?

Is there any internationals or origin? Player trading? Team editing (rosters only)

Probably positive thinking right?

Thanks for the answers.

Man I have seriously considered a psp on the back of this

I just need to go travelling to make me go and buy one

Nope, not yet. Locksleys vids dont work for me so I'm hangin for some. Theres a few AFL (made by same company) ones there but only a trailer for league, its not worth watching.

You can draw and pass normally and offload. You can do all the kicks except chips but a short bomb can be good enough. Only NRL or Super League, No origin or internationals or franchise or anything just a simple season mode where you earn various amounts of cash on each difficulty and raise players stats as you go, thats it. No trading, as I said bare bones simple but strangely fun and addictive despite all that is missing and all of the things that could be much much better.

I don't know how to explain it, it isn't the best, in some ways better than RL1 and in some ways worse but it plays well enough to keep me addicted much more than RL2 did. I just think it is balanced really well and controls really well despite how simplistic it is and I do hope they can take this forward and make it even better because they made a good little start imo.

I'll try and get some clips up on youtube from my digi camera.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Oct 2 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Man I have seriously considered a psp on the back of this

I just need to go travelling to make me go and buy one[/b]

I wouldn't get it if i were you, it is ok but nothing special at all.

Stick with Fifa 10 bro.

Or wait a bit longer and get a Wii for RL3, apparently it is going to be pretty good.

Thanks locksley,

cant watch them til I get home from work...........damn it.

What difficulty are you guys playing on? My brother has it and told me that on easy he is winning each game 100 odd to nil. On medium he said that the computer will just force random errors every set so that he is forced to kick on first tackle every time in order to have a chance. In 8 games he only scored 4 tries.

Latest posts