• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby league player dies suddenly

C

Cymro

Wakefield Wildcats prop Adam Watene has died "suddenly and unexpectedly" after collapsing during a training session, the West Yorkshire club said.

_45104146_353e396a-8df4-4613-b573-b5105a297ac4.jpg

News Article

RIP

That's a shocker that. You just don't expect it to happen to a rugby player, one of the fittest sports around. Wakefield's Annus Horriblus continues. RIP.

There have been a few issues like this over the last couple of years, I just wonder how many more... Such a loss

RIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Oct 14 2008, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There have been a few issues like this over the last couple of years, I just wonder how many more... Such a loss
RIP[/b]

Yeah! Bad News! and what about steroids? it happens frequently to sportsmen recieving anabolic steroids to loss their lives! Numerous examples from Football, while Rugby is more "physically loaded" game

You never know what happens at times like these. The man was very fit and strong so there can only be a couple of reasons: -
Either he suffers from a condition that can deliver heart attacks even to fit young people...or there's a case of abusing performance enhancing drugs.
Either way, it's a sad affair - i feel for the man's friends and family.

I'm certain he'll be found to have suffered from sudden death syndrome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 16 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm certain he'll be found to have suffered from sudden death syndrome.[/b]

Agree, some syndromes (f.e. Hypertrophy of Myocardium and especially that of septum muscles runs in families) can lead to Sudden Death catastrophes for owners of this s*it genetic disease

But now question arises: how rugby players' body physiology is usually screened or not?????

A lot of 'Sudden Death' runs in families and is indeed genetic. So the wisest thing a player can do is look around his family for such.

Having said that, abandoning the game 'just in case' just doesn't seem realistic.

The heart is electrically driven and relies on various salts and minerals to be in the body.

Should you have a bad bout of diareah say or just chuck up too much after a heavy night out, you might well be delpleted and suffer the consequence of battery failure.

Rather than worry about steroids and such, it's better to get people to not play when their body is on survival rations .. speaking of which ..there is no harm in taking some rehydration salts, bought over the counter, to keep the grim reaper at bay.

A bit folksy perhaps but true none the less.

Latest posts