• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League section dead

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
Over the past week few weeks I have made a come back to TRF, but my initial enthusiasm of getting in to NRL discussion has somewhat waned.

Although I much prefer to play Rugby Union and watch it live, I am not overly interested in talking about it online nor watch it on TV. In this respect, Rugby League is my passion.

Where on earth have all the Rugby League supporters gone?

I would have surely thought with the terrific start to the NRL season there would be much more banter and I can't see it becoming any better come State of Origin time.

I understand TRF can't be marketed as a top tier Rugby League forum as there is too much Union which tends to ward off some (Some are of the opinion to be an authority the business must have it's main focus as the subject matter at hand), however with the sheer numbers we have I would have thought there would be more life. It seems as TRF has grown, Rugby League speak has decreased.

How can we fix this? Is this an issue for anyone else or TRF as a whole?

Over the past week few weeks I have made a come back to TRF, but my initial enthusiasm of getting in to NRL discussion has somewhat waned.

Although I much prefer to play Rugby Union and watch it live, I am not overly interested in talking about it online nor watch it on TV. In this respect, Rugby League is my passion.

Where on earth have all the Rugby League supporters gone?

I would have surely thought with the terrific start to the NRL season there would be much more banter and I can't see it becoming any better come State of Origin time.

I understand TRF can't be marketed as a top tier Rugby League forum as there is too much Union which tends to ward off some (Some are of the opinion to be an authority the business must have it's main focus as the subject matter at hand), however with the sheer numbers we have I would have thought there would be more life. It seems as TRF has grown, Rugby League speak has decreased.

How can we fix this? Is this an issue for anyone else or TRF as a whole?

Well this will most probably be the only thread where I or my fellow South African compatriots will post regarding Rugby League... Since it's not really being played in South Africa and also because we are Rugby Union Crazy, we really couldn't care less about Rugby League. So regarding this topic, i guess many of the posters here are more Rugby Union orientated than Rugby League, and by seeing the little amount of posts regarding Rugby League it shows that the majority are leaning a lot more towards Rugby Union...

Thankyou for that incredible insight heinekin, however I am more interested in where the former posters are, why they have gone and how we can fix this as well as possibly attract new posters.

I do agree with your views in the way that current die hard rugby union posters won't post about rugby leauge if they aren't interested, but then again that is plain common sense...

Last edited:
Thankyou for that incredible insight heinekin, however I am more interested in where the former posters are, why they have gone and how we can fix this as well as possibly attract new posters.

I do agree with your views in the way that current die hard rugby union posters won't post about rugby leauge if they aren't interested, but then again that is plain common sense...

Well maybe it's time for you to:
129113282597497187.jpg

I had not interest in League whatsoever until I saw Benjii Marshall play... Now I only seem to have an interest when he does :/

I love rugby league but it is second to union for me, thats not saying i do love to talk about it but there is never much going on her discussion wise for league, feel free to create some much needed discussion.

I do think somebody just needs to spark it I occasionally watch a game but thats down to the add for the NRL this year it's awesome, I'll see if I can find it.

When the Crusaders went down I lost pretty much all interest I ever had in rugby league. Still like the Crusaders but don't really care to see them. I quite like watching highlights of good tries but the sport just doesn't interest me enough to watch every little bit, whereas rugby union always excites me.

Well, the majority of discussion about rugby comes from fans of the national teams who get very excited every 6N/ TriNations/ World Cup. Some of those fans will stay on during international 'quiet periods' and will talk about the Heineken Cup, Super Rugby or some of the smaller club competitions. But I'd say their main interest is generated through internationals.

Rugby League simply doesn't have this interest, because international League is so fragile. I love watching the four nations, but I never get excited about it - it just doesn't have the same intensity or passion that international Union has. League has a great institution in the Origin series, but it's hard to get worked up about this if you're not Australian (or even from QLD/ NSW). So frankly, you've got your die-hard Super League and NRL fans who'll talk, but there must be other forums which are much more League-focused for them to go on.

This forum is, essentially, a Union forum where you can talk about League if you like. But it's rare to find people who like both codes who'll want to talk about them on the same website (Olyy's one of the only I can think of). I find people who like talking about League tend to be the ones who hate talking about Union (unless its being called yawnion) - and this site is not for people like that.

I have really enjoyed your return to the forum Melon, and I think putting all the NRL talk into a general discussion thread will help spur some conversations about the league. I have really started following League in the last year or so, and Canada finally has their national team running again.

Well, the majority of discussion about rugby comes from fans of the national teams who get very excited every 6N/ TriNations/ World Cup. Some of those fans will stay on during international 'quiet periods' and will talk about the Heineken Cup, Super Rugby or some of the smaller club competitions. But I'd say their main interest is generated through internationals.

Rugby League simply doesn't have this interest, because international League is so fragile. I love watching the four nations, but I never get excited about it - it just doesn't have the same intensity or passion that international Union has. League has a great institution in the Origin series, but it's hard to get worked up about this if you're not Australian (or even from QLD/ NSW). So frankly, you've got your die-hard Super League and NRL fans who'll talk, but there must be other forums which are much more League-focused for them to go on.

This forum is, essentially, a Union forum where you can talk about League if you like. But it's rare to find people who like both codes who'll want to talk about them on the same website (Olyy's one of the only I can think of). I find people who like talking about League tend to be the ones who hate talking about Union (unless its being called yawnion) - and this site is not for people like that.

I agree with all of this. It's an international forum, but the international game is so weak in league that there isn't much to talk about. You'd need a far higher concentration of Englanders and Australians to keep a RL board going than we have.

I love watching NRL and supporting the Warriors, down side is that most of the games are incredibly early ( when watching it live in Europe) or during the working week. Today I was happy to be at home and see the game. Another downside is that the NRL starts only one week later then the Super 15. And I just prefer a Chiefs game over any NRL game.

4 Nations are sweet as well. But every time it are the same two teams almost who play the final while in the 3 nations you have the Bledisloe cub to end in beauty.

I'm on the other hand very hyped about the WC next year.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to first to a questionnaire and see how many members are into the idea of discussing League and then see if there is a possibility of appointing a mod who posts the games/dates every week.

If it turns out to be successful you could include a V-bookie.

I love watching NRL and supporting the Warriors, down side is that most of the games are incredibly early ( when watching it live in Europe) or during the working week. Today I was happy to be at home and see the game. Another downside is that the NRL starts only one week later then the Super 15. And I just prefer a Chiefs game over any NRL game.

4 Nations are sweet as well. But every time it are the same two teams almost who play the final while in the 3 nations you have the Bledisloe cub to end in beauty.

I'm on the other hand very hyped about the WC next year.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to first to a questionnaire and see how many members are into the idea of discussing League and then see if there is a possibility of appointing a mod who posts the games/dates every week.

If it turns out to be successful you could include a V-bookie.

I think that having general disscussion threads will help spur conversation I know that sometimes I want to make a quick comment on whats going on but don't have the time to start multiple threads that may not even be looked at, once the general threads become more active maybe League fans will start popping by more, and casual posters may be inclined to share their thoughts.

Latest posts