• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League World Cup Game 2 - Wales vs Italy

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Wales will be looking to get their tournament off to a flier in Cardiff as they host massive underdogs Italy in the late kick off at the Millennium Stadium RLWC double header.

Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick off time: 4:30pm
TV coverage: BBC Two from 16:30pm

Discuss away.

Hopefully Wales will win this one. Italy do have some good quality on their side who could well drag them over the line. But I am confident that the squad is capable of beating Italy especially Tyson Frizell is now been declared fit.

Any squads?

Considering Italy are a lot of NRL players I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see a close game.

Squads announced:

Wales squad: Budworth, Divorty, Dudson, Emmitt, B Evans, R Evans, Flower, Frizell, James, Kear, Kopzcak (capt), Lloyd, Lupton, Patrick, Seamark, Walker, Webster, White, Williams.
Italy: Minichiello (capt), Mantellato, Tedesco, Guerra, Centrone, Falcone, Ghietti, Laffranchi, Parata, Vaughan, Minichiello, Ciraldo, Riethmuller.
Interchange: (from) Gardel, Tramonte, Santi, Nasso, Maccan, Hiscox.

Go Italy!!!!!

I'm a sucker for an underdog - so let's go the italians! (hopefully it's a good game - I'm a fan of the minichellos & lafranchi)

Decent game especially in the first half, full credit to Italy they took their chances better than Wales who seemed to get "white line fever" a few times.

It was a bit error strewn here and there, but that was a thoroughly entertaining game of rugby league. Big blow for Wales and they'll need to fight back but Italy were so comfortably the better team in the second half it must be quite concerning for them. The Italians were very impressive at times. I think I might have downplayed them a little too much - they have some quality NRL players in that team.

Last edited:
Italy by far and away the better side on the day. Forwards went really well for them and both centres looked good with ball in hand. Italy will do well in my opinion. Some quality players in that team.

No real surprise that Italy put up a strong game. They've proven in the 6 nations that they have excellent physique etc, but not the ingrained skills (from youth) for set pieces like scrums.
League is a much simpler game, and that allows them to put up better performances, without requiring so much skill. We were well beaten, no complaints.
As for attendance, I'd like to point out how poorly it's been advertised in South Wales. It really is a minority sport here, and of little interest to the majority of people ((since League stopped poaching the top RU players in the amateur era), and with the success of our International teams, and wendyball teams)

A very good second half by the Italians. Impressive forwards and massive work rate. Well done.

No real surprise that Italy put up a strong game. They've proven in the 6 nations that they have excellent physique etc, but not the ingrained skills (from youth) for set pieces like scrums.
League is a much simpler game, and that allows them to put up better performances, without requiring so much skill. We were well beaten, no complaints.
As for attendance, I'd like to point out how poorly it's been advertised in South Wales. It really is a minority sport here, and of little interest to the majority of people ((since League stopped poaching the top RU players in the amateur era), and with the success of our International teams, and wendyball teams)

Looked to me like a lot of people stayed behind after the England match? I could be mistaken but that's the impression I got from the television.

My friends went to Newport to stay the night there and go into Cardiff to watch the game, they said that they didn't see a single piece of advertising.

Looked to me like a lot of people stayed behind after the England match? I could be mistaken but that's the impression I got from the television.

My friends went to Newport to stay the night there and go into Cardiff to watch the game, they said that they didn't see a single piece of advertising.

Just curious, where those 2 for 1 aka doubleheader tickets or the tix where sold for each game separately?

Ive seen/heard little mention of the game at the Mem on Weds, I should be able to so will report but if we get even half of the attendance for todays league game (5k) I'll be amazed

Just curious, where those 2 for 1 aka doubleheader tickets or the tix where sold for each game separately?

They were sold as a double header I think. They'd have to be in fact, there was only 15 minutes between the two games. The semi finals at Wembley are also a double header.

Considering all tickets have been 50% off for 6 months or more it's so cheap to go to games. I'm going to five in total.

Latest posts