• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby players kicking gridiron

Agreed. Those guys are athletic freaks. 90-100 kg is the average size for most of the runningbacks, and those players are considered to be some of the most agile! Adrian Peterson and Ladanian Tomlinson, the two best RB's in the league, are both 100kg with freakish agility. Those dudes are crazy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A Crappy Winger @ Jan 21 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agreed. Those guys are athletic freaks. 90-100 kg is the average size for most of the runningbacks, and those players are considered to be some of the most agile! Adrian Peterson and Ladanian Tomlinson, the two best RB's in the league, are both 100kg with freakish agility. Those dudes are crazy[/b]

Mm 90-100 kg is the average size for most of the international centres (and some wings), and they also have skills. Like passing, tackling, kicking...

Honestly I'm not impressed by Gridiron players.

I'd say an Aussie Rules kicker would be a better crossover due to ball shape. I remember the Chargers having an Aussie as kicker for years when I was younger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Jan 22 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A Crappy Winger @ Jan 21 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Those guys are athletic freaks. 90-100 kg is the average size for most of the runningbacks, and those players are considered to be some of the most agile! Adrian Peterson and Ladanian Tomlinson, the two best RB's in the league, are both 100kg with freakish agility. Those dudes are crazy[/b]

Mm 90-100 kg is the average size for most of the international centres (and some wings), and they also have skills. Like passing, tackling, kicking...

[/b][/quote]

You gotta appreciate it for what it is. Its a very specific skilled driven sport, suppose like props, its a wonderful thing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jan 22 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Jan 22 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A Crappy Winger @ Jan 21 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

You gotta appreciate it for what it is. Its a very specific skilled driven sport, suppose like props, its a wonderful thing
[/b][/quote]

I know its's very specific, but there doesn't seem to be THAT much skill involved. I guess I prefer alround rugbyman to one skill gridiron freaks ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 21 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A few of my Canadian mates who are big Alouette fans keep bringing up the drop kick as a way of seperating CFL from NFL so I've been getting it from there.

I've seen good lateral plays like what you've mentioned but like you said its still highly structured and very limited. Even though there are only 11 - 12 players on the field depending who are on your side the narrow nature of the pitch surely means that you can create some chances?[/b]

Fair enough, I'd say the major differences are there is one more guy on the field, there are 3 downs instead of 4, wide receivers can go in motion before the play, way crappier players and the field is bigger by a fair margin. Drop kicks would come in there at say number 76 in subtle differences right after the last one to touch a fumble before it goes out of bounds gets possesion of the ball.

It's a vastly different game, gridiron, but I think you have to appreciate the athletes that play it. They may be very precise in their skills but as a team they have to come together to execute. Its not as simple as QB throws to wide receiver. The QB has to read the defense before the snap and on the run, adjust to the defense he thinks is being played, and keep tabs on 3-5 receivers all at the same time, and then throw the ball in the right place at the right time with the right speed and the right height.

And he can only do that if his offensive line blocks the 3-5 massive defensive lineman rushing up to try and sack, and the O-line doesn't know what the defensive assignments are either.

In my opinion there's a lot to be impressed by! I can't do justice in words what these guys have to do in the space of 5-10 seconds of a play

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 18 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Theres always talk about why its more difficult to kick with the American football because of the pointed ends and the slightly more streamlined shape compared to that of a Rugby Union, League or even Aussie Rules football. All three of the latter have blunt ends and are much fatter which makes kicking easier.[/b]

I've been a goal kicker for quite a few years and have tried kicking goals with a gridion ball. When I was playing in England a bloke i played with, who was american, wanted me to teach him how to kick field goals in the hope that he could do it when he returned home-after trying to kick with a gridion ball I decided I was probably not the person to teach him. In my experience what Prestwick said this is true. the balls are harder, heavier and narrower making them harder to get a good strike on and easier to hook/slice.

Wilkinson was also offered huge dosh to go to the NFL both after the world cup win and in 2007.
Figures topping the £6-a-year mark.
Amazing.

Latest posts