Vleis (Meat) Visagie
Lappies Labushagne
Doppies Le Grange
Dick Muir
Adri (Its a girls name) Geldenhuys
Burger (Patty) Geldenhuys
Jerome Paarwater
Cabous van der Westhuizen
Mannetjies Roux (The guy who tackled his live stock)

Last edited:
Yeah, but those are not real names...

Some of them are and they still funny because the commentators and newspapers will call them by that name. Without use of Google what was Draadkar de Lange's real name?

I don't know Draadkar's real name, I just know that it's not his name. It's one aspect I never understood of South Africa. What is the thing with nicknames? I worked with a guy who was called "Seun". Yes, he is someone's son, I get that since he's a dude! His real name was Robert but nobody called him by his real name. Very weird.

I don't know Draadkar's real name, I just know that it's not his name. It's one aspect I never understood of South Africa. What is the thing with nicknames? I worked with a guy who was called "Seun". Yes, he is someone's son, I get that since he's a dude! His real name was Robert but nobody called him by his real name. Very weird.

I like that from our heritage actually. Us Saffas like to mock people and that's usually how nicknames come about. I know a guy called Bees, because his dad has one of the biggest Abbatoirs in the country.

My brother was with Duane Vermeulen and Jean Deysel in Dromedaris men's hostel at UJ, and everyone there has a nickname, for 2 reasons, 1. The 4th and 5th year's guys don't want to remember their real names, and to give them a nickname makes it easier for them to remember their face when they're drunk. and the other reason it makes them part of the group.

I know Jean Deysel's nickname was Wol-Scooter...

I like that from our heritage actually. Us Saffas like to mock people and that's usually how nicknames come about. I know a guy called Bees, because his dad has one of the biggest Abbatoirs in the country.

My brother was with Duane Vermeulen and Jean Deysel in Dromedaris men's hostel at UJ, and everyone there has a nickname, for 2 reasons, 1. The 4th and 5th year's guys don't want to remember their real names, and to give them a nickname makes it easier for them to remember their face when they're drunk. and the other reason it makes them part of the group.

I know Jean Deysel's nickname was Wol-Scooter...

haha Remember back then when you get to std 6 and that 2 week period where the matrics **** you around. Walking bare foot with a board around your neck with the nick name on it. My mate had a funny one "Snot Sambok" and there was one called "Tribbes" and "Plore" lol

Latest posts