• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Teams/Country's Best XV

Norm Hadley....absolute legend...and if i had to list my favorite ever XV he would be in there!

Wales
Struggling for locks and a blinside flanker.

1 Charlie Faulkner
2 Bobby Windsor
3 Graham Price
4 Alan Wyn Jones
6 Colin Charvis
7 Martyn Williams
8 Mervyn Davies

9 Gareth Edwards
10 Barry John / Phil Bennet (How do you pick)
11 Shane Williams
12 Bleddyn Williams
13 George North
14 Gerald Davies
15 JPR Williams

I would have this team expect
5) Delme Thomas (scarlets fans will know why)
6) Dai Morris
13) Scott Gibbs (a proper 13 rather than North)

True how can you honestly pick between John and Bennet.

Italy
1 Andre Lo Cicero
2 Fabio Ongaro
3 Martin Castrogiovani
4 Carlo Del Fava
5 Marco Bortolami
6 Alessandro Zanni
7 Mauro Bergamasco
8 Sergio Parise

9 Alessandro Troncon
10 Diego Dominguez
11 Kane Robertson
12 ? Cant think of any good 12's
13 Claudio Canale
14 Mirco Bergamasco
15 Andrea Masi

Italy
1 Andre Lo Cicero
2 Fabio Ongaro
3 Martin Castrogiovani
4 Carlo Del Fava
5 Marco Bortolami
6 Alessandro Zanni
7 Mauro Bergamasco
8 Sergio Parise

9 Alessandro Troncon
10 Diego Dominguez
11 Kane Robertson
12 ? Cant think of any good 12's
13 Claudio Canale
14 Mirco Bergamasco
15 Andrea Masi

Move Canale to 12 and have Ivan Francescato @ 13

Would also have either Paolo Vaccari or Marcello Cuttitta on the wings for either both wingers or just Robertson.

What about YOUR personal favorite XV? Not one you think is the best...but one that you like.

1 Sona Taumalolo - Just a great aggressive amazing running prop.
2 Brian Moore - Could anyone wind the French up like the ol' Pitbull
3 Carl Hayman - Aside from his NZ exploits...watching him as a one man pack for us at times was bewildering...
4 Norm Hadley - Just a monstrous guy...has anyone heard of his scuffle with noisy boisterous youths on the London Underground?
5 Simon Shaw - The complete second row...could do the lot...and should have had more caps.
6 Tim Rodber - Underrated...tough but quality.....
7 Pat Lam - One of the most complete alround back row players to have played the game...
8 Buck Shelford - Just epitomises strength, fearless aggression...and power.

9 Gary Armstrong - Passion, fierceness, ability, class scrum half...by Scotland produce them!
10 Johnny...need i say more
11 Caucau - He may have gone wayward...but on his day...simply breathtaking
12 Scott Gibbs - The immoveable object with skills....
13 Inga Tuigamala - What needs to be said...top drawer in both codes...?
14 Jason Robinson - Just sublime...entertainment at its best
15 Cristian Cullen - See Jason Robinson...

Honorable mentions - Frank Bunce and Brian Lima.

Norm Hadley....absolute legend...and if i had to list my favorite ever XV he would be in there!

OK Ireland
1 Nick Popplewell
2 Keith Wood
3 Paul Wallace
4 Williw John McBride
5 Paul O'Connell (Honorable mention for Malcolm O'Kelly)
6 David Wallace (Stephen Ferris)
7 Fergus Slattery
8 Jamie Heaslip

9 Peter Stringer
10 Ronan O'Gara
11 Dennis Hickie / Geordan Murphy / Tommy Bowe??
12 Mike Gibson
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Simon Geoghan
15 Rob Kearney

Bit surprised you have O'Gara at fly, he was always so inconsistent when I watched him and I've heard and read so much about 10s like Ollie Campbell, Tony Ward and Jack Kyle (granted there's probably very few people left in the word who remember watching Kyle play).

If I had to pick an Irish squad I'd probably have Tom Kiernan at fullback instead of Kearney and maybe Willie Duggan instead of Heaslip but it's so difficult comparing the players from the 60s to the caliber of athletes in the professional era

OK Ireland
1 Nick Popplewell
2 Keith Wood
3 Paul Wallace
4 Williw John McBride
5 Paul O'Connell (Honorable mention for Malcolm O'Kelly)
6 David Wallace (Stephen Ferris)
7 Fergus Slattery
8 Jamie Heaslip

9 Peter Stringer
10 Ronan O'Gara
11 Dennis Hickie / Geordan Murphy / Tommy Bowe??
12 Mike Gibson
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Simon Geoghan
15 Rob Kearney

Wales
Struggling for locks and a blinside flanker.

1 Charlie Faulkner
2 Bobby Windsor
3 Graham Price
4 Alan Wyn Jones
6 Colin Charvis
7 Martyn Williams
8 Mervyn Davies

9 Gareth Edwards
10 Barry John / Phil Bennet (How do you pick)
11 Shane Williams
12 Bleddyn Williams
13 George North
14 Gerald Davies
15 JPR Williams
George North at center ? surely you would have at-least have Jamie Roberts there. But i'm not sure if we should have JPR Williams at fullback or Gareth Thomas at fullback but it is a tough call, for that welsh team i would also have Neil Jenkins at 10. Delme Thomas i think should be at 5) and for the number 13 spot i would rather have Gavin Henson at 13, like north is a really good player i know that but he shouldn't be in the welsh best ever XV at Center.

While for the ireland squad and Canuck he's ireland leading point scorer it would be difficult to find someone who isn't better than him atm.

Well the story about Jack Kyle was that in heaven God would be afraid to play against Jack Kyle.

[video=youtube_share;28-94dHxUUM]http://youtu.be/28-94dHxUUM[/video]

Bit surprised you have O'Gara at fly, he was always so inconsistent when I watched him and I've heard and read so much about 10s like Ollie Campbell, Tony Ward and Jack Kyle (granted there's probably very few people left in the word who remember watching Kyle play).

If I had to pick an Irish squad I'd probably have Tom Kiernan at fullback instead of Kearney and maybe Willie Duggan instead of Heaslip but it's so difficult comparing the players from the 60s to the caliber of athletes in the professional era

You could make a case for sticking Gibson at 10 and D'Arcy (or Miliken if you wish to get historical) at 12.

This is the problem with these things, there's a lot of players with huge reputations who we simply know nothing about. Should Paul Wallace be ahead of Syd Millar? Geoghan and Hickie ahead of Tony O'Reilly? Stringer ahead of Patterson? Do you throw Pedlow into the full-back argument? I'm just reciting names who did impressive things and who I've heard old men wax lyrical about.

Well yes i onloy put North in becuase i think hes already class...but i did completelty forget about Scott Gibbs who simply must be in there...ill change it now.

AS for the rest of the teams...i dont have a huge knowledge of evwery Irish / Welsh / French / Canadian player so thats where other peoples knowledge comes in. :D

Well yes i onloy put North in becuase i think hes already class...but i did completelty forget about Scott Gibbs who simply must be in there...ill change it now.

AS for the rest of the teams...i dont have a huge knowledge of evwery Irish / Welsh / French / Canadian player so thats where other peoples knowledge comes in. :D
yeah he is, but he isn't a center so..

well then that ruins the point off this whole thread. i clearly asked what he thought would be his country best ever XV not his favourite players in his XV that are welsh

well then that ruins the point off this whole thread. i clearly asked what he thought would be his country best ever XV not his favourite players in his XV that are welsh

yeah that's what I did too earlier. That's my favorite French XV. :mellow:

No all the lists above i did were the best ever...not my faovirtes.

The one list i did i mentioned " my favorite" :D

Latest posts