Rugby to be banned in schools

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/28/is-rugby-now-too-dangerous-for-children-to-play

I was reading this and got annoyed at two things, one is just because they are still going on about it.

the second point is that they still don't realise that rugby is not dangerous when its played in the right manner and played properly, like i was told from one off my mates that from that article that it even went far as to ban rugby on not only Primary Schools but also Secondary schools. Its about the 'Safety' off children playing and arrantly have a 'high chance' off injury. for god sake do they expect that we'll teach children how to dump tackle at the age off 6 ? off course not, we'll teach them to tackle low as that is how to make a tackle when its done properly its not dangerous. I think there is a little more risk in rugby then there is in Football, and what about hockey ? how vital will it be to get a hockey ball hit you in the face at full force but yet they do alot more to ban rugby than hockey ?.

But i think they taking the dangers off sports way too seriously, they're were time were the said that children should play football with a scrum-cap on because off chances of 'Concussion'. I think the writer off the article have a right to worry but definitely taking it way to seriously.

but i wanted to know what you think off this, are people being way to seriously about sports in general for children? or are they doing the right thing ? what do you think

Is this that Pollock woman again? I refuse to add clicks to articles about her.

It's idiocy which, at the moment, doesn't appear to have any real backing. One shouldn't be too complacent, but I'm basically happier ignoring idiots

Where in the article does it say it's being banned?

I only skimmed it, but I couldn't see any mention of it.

No she "stopped short of calling for it to be banned". To be honest I don't have a problem with her investigating the risks of rugby, there are undoubtedly many. She has every right to give parents info which may stop them from letting their kids play, but if she tries to get the sport banned, that's idiotic and a dig in the nuts to everyone.

Theres risks in everything. What happened to that lad was an accident, tragic and unfortunate but an accident nonetheless. If you follow through the thought process of it being too risky and it should be banned you should be banning anything that causes risk. Eating, theres a risk of choking or a risk of allergies. Riding in a car, theres a risk of being in an RTA.

I hope this is the last we hear of this tripe

She was on BBC news this morning, and a sweaty member of the RFU was there to defend rugby and the current approach to injury monitoring and concussion. He didn't do a great job of outlining the strict IRB and union policies on logging and monitoring injuries, particualrly at local level. The BBC introduced our dear "Scientist" as the professor and basically had a bit of a bash at the RFU officer. She basically said due to the inherent injury risk (she spouted off some percentage of injuries in worldwide rugby) that local authorities and unions are putting children and young people at significant risk and therefore shouldn't offer the chance to play the game.

Her findings were based on survey data worldwide. I'd like to see if she considered the level of regulation and the size of union's structure in monitoring injuries, as well as the skill levels of its volunteer base in coaching and understanding sports injuries. She didn't elude to the fact that education of these volunteers is the key here. If she was to present her findings in that way then I'd be forced to agree with her. Safeguarding children and young people is paramount in any education or community based setting. Children who play a contact sport (and those who coach it) should understand the risk but should also be taught how to manage and care for injuries. This is something these findings may help with.

I think overall her point about schools, local authorities and Unions not allowing the game to be played is not the answer to the issue as what will happen is children and young adults will play the game in unsupervised, without coaching and in unmonitored settings. This would make the problem worse. It would also discourage younger people to become involved in any sports that involved contact!

Utterly ridiculous conclusions, which what could have been informative data from our dear office bound academic professor.

Pretty sure other sports has a higher player to injury ratio.

Trampoling, Basketball are 2 of the top of my head.

Upon further reading I have picked up a key quote which should help us in determining if this a load of phooey

"Oh my God, I'm not an expert"

Nailed it in one there, love.

what team sport provokes the most injuries ?...like, non martial arts or extreme sports or any of that crap, just regular team sports ?...probably Rugby..as the saying goes, you have to suffer to look pretty.

I think Football is up there (but due to the number of people)

Basketball I think cause the most injuries in America.

its people like Allyson Pollock who makes rugby bad in scotland as she is the director of Edinburgh University's Centre for International Public Health Policy, but when i first heard off the incident it was only the scrum now its the whole game even though im not sure if it was her who called for rugby to be banned in schools. But when they called the ban for scrums i think they only changed the call were the props bind in first then they start driving.

I don't watch American football, but I bet those guys get a few boo boos. Basketball yes, tremendous pressure on legs, ankles but knees especially and that's a career ender. I can't think of as many whatcouldhavebeens in Rugby as I can in the NBA, surprisingly. Baseball too I bet. Standing in one same place for so long, the insane stuff that must happen to those athletes' bodies..
Ice Hockey ? Guys slam into each other and shiit, but with the heavy equipment I'm not positive they get too many injuries.

Children are made of rubber, they just bounce off each other. Something people forget is that at a young age you are MUCH more flexible so the chance of hyperextending something is lower. As they are also much smaller with less strength and mass, they can't really collide hard enough to cause real injury. Heads colliding is likely to be the major source of injuries.

Ultimately though it's a sport and if supervised properly, the risk of injury is low. People like this woman have to stop trying to wrap children up in bubblewrap and pretend that mud doesn't exist. On the one hand children play to many video games and on the other parents like her are determined to prevent them doing any physical activity that involves any risk.

What do the working class of Scotland think of rugby?
pretty much like argentina i would say, they hate rugby and prefers football alot, were im from i dont really know anyone who doesn't follow a football team , its more the middle class who follow rugby here.

iirc.

Football has more injuries but rugby has more catastrophic injuries.

If I'm honest I honestly don't know if I'd let my son play now - wouldn't stop him but would I encourage it? Not sure.

iirc.

If I'm honest I honestly don't know if I'd let my son play now - wouldn't stop him but would I encourage it? Not sure.
you should, or atleast take him to some games to get an idea what its like ;)

First rugby, now Big E...what is this world coming to? :( Gonna miss both...

Okay, onto business:

iirc.

American football has had many catastrophic injuries, from paralysis to blown knees that end careers prematurely. I would say just about the opposite of what you've said - rugby has more injuries, but (American) football has more one-and-done career-ending injuries. What I mean by that is that many times the first injury a football player gets is also his last.

Rugby has long been considered a 'safer' sport - kids play it, old men play it...it just takes a slight adjustment to the rules (like a soft tackle or shorter running distances), without fundamentally changing the game. The only way to make American football safe is to make it tag or flag football, which pretty much just makes it a game of tag, with a ball.

das

Latest posts